SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: UND at PSU

geaux_sioux

Studsrud has won because the defense has been absolutely dominant. I can't believe that anyone here thinks he has won because of the QB play, he may be a great runner, but I have seen highschool QB's be more efficient at throwing the football.

Nobody said we won because of him. I have seen Studsrud play better than a Big 10 QB, doesn't make sense to compare like that. It appears to me he's the best we have right now. I trust Bubba.

While I don't believe Studsrud is the best quarterback on the team, I think he has done well with limited skills. Meaning I don't think he is the best passer, and it isn't even close, but he has definitely contributed nicely to the run game.

I do expect him to improve his passing game throughout the year. If he can't progress over the next few games, I have bigger concerns. We need to remember, he is young, and didn't have much experience from last year. He is very much a game manager type quarterback, and will probably never dominate the game, but his role is still important and he needs to step up when needed. He did have a few passes today, where I thought, "If he could only do that consistently!". That being said, even a competent passing game (just a mild threat) would open up our offense (and our run game) so much. 

Regardless, we are 4-1 and coming home to Idaho St. Now I don't care who we are playing, we need to keep our foot on the gas and take care of business. Playoffs are a legitimate conversation right now, but only if we keep playing UND football. Great time, and fun to watch. Go Sioux!

We won with defense last year as well.  Beat a NAU team ranked #22.  defense will win the games but last our offense losing games for us.  not so much with Studsrud with QB

How has Studsrud won for us? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but our QB play is holding us back. We had wide receivers open all day long and our QB couldn't go past the first read to see the play develop.

I love what Studs brings to the running game but it's almost like he's never played QB with some of his throws. To me he really seems to struggle with the short easy throws that any QB should make. And that pitch he had was absolutely terrible. Just rocketed into Santiago's face. With all this being said I'm starting to think he is the right QB of choice. Just fits what our main emphasis is. 

While I don't believe Studsrud is the best quarterback on the team, I think he has done well with limited skills. Meaning I don't think he is the best passer, and it isn't even close, but he has definitely contributed nicely to the run game.

I do expect him to improve his passing game throughout the year. If he can't progress over the next few games, I have bigger concerns. We need to remember, he is young, and didn't have much experience from last year. He is very much a game manager type quarterback, and will probably never dominate the game, but his role is still important and he needs to step up when needed. He did have a few passes today, where I thought, "If he could only do that consistently!". That being said, even a competent passing game (just a mild threat) would open up our offense (and our run game) so much. 

Regardless, we are 4-1 and coming home to Idaho St. Now I don't care who we are playing, we need to keep our foot on the gas and take care of business. Playoffs are a legitimate conversation right now, but only if we keep playing UND football. Great time, and fun to watch. Go Sioux!

I agree, it is nice to win and maybe i am just raising my expectations based on the performance of the team. I do think though that we do need to start worrying about this soon. We can't have QB that completes only 50% of his passes and expect to do anthing in the playoffs. It was pretty obvious today that PSU didn't live up to the ranking today. Studsrud is fine for today but he won't be good enough in 3 weeks.

I bet you could throw a football over them mountains...

I paid almost $30k for my degree because I am unatheltic, Studsrud is getting a full ride because he has talent. This team can be so good but I am not a jerk because I am calling out a player. I can't be the only that can see that our QB is holding us back.

I paid almost $30k for my degree because I am unatheltic, Studsrud is getting a full ride because he has talent. This team can be so good but I am not a jerk because I am calling out a player. I can't be the only that can see that our QB is holding us back.

Sorry.  Poor attempt at humor and levity.  My apologies.

Edited by UNDvince97-01

Studsrud is very inconsistent. Throws a nice tight accurate ball about once out of five throws. The other one is hit the ground short. One is way overthrown. And the other two might be barely caught thanks to great adjustments by the receivers but they never get any YAC because they had to dive to catch the ball.

Game managers don't rush for over 100 yards.  I agree Studsrud needs to be more consistent with his throws, and needs to deliver balls that receivers can catch in stride.  He seems to throw better rolling out than sitting in the pocket.

The QB play is no worse than the O-line play as well as the WR play in my opinion. I don't think I'm a great football mind so please don't take me the wrong way. Of the 2 other Big Sky QBs we have seen, who would we rather want to have? 

Studsrud is very inconsistent. Throws a nice tight accurate ball about once out of five throws. The other one is hit the ground short. One is way overthrown. And the other two might be barely caught thanks to great adjustments by the receivers but they never get any YAC because they had to dive to catch the ball.

A lot of truth here...

But you forgot: receivers dropping balls, catching the ball and falling down after a good throw, receivers running the wrong routes.

I believe I saw all 3 today if I wasn't mistaken.

Bottom line is Studsrud needs to continue to develop and get better at everything you mentioned.  Studsrud fits exactly what the OC wants to do with this offense for playcalling and personnel (sans the throwing part at this point).

• Upvote 1

Studsrud has won because the defense has been absolutely dominant. I can't believe that anyone here thinks he has won because of the QB play, he may be a great runner, but I have seen highschool QB's be more efficient at throwing the football.

our other QBs on the roster hadway more talent around them on offense  but they turned the ball over constantly and didn't score a ton of points.  I'll give Studsrud credit, he can run the ball and doesn't turn it over and gives us a chance.  9 starts into his career, he's won 6 of them. 

• Upvote 1

The QB play is no worse than the O-line play as well as the WR play in my opinion. I don't think I'm a great football mind so please don't take me the wrong way. Of the 2 other Big Sky QBs we have seen, who would we rather want to have? 

Today was a poor example, the part that bothers me is that we had better QB play on the D2 level. With greater success comes greater expectations.

• Upvote 1

Studsrud has broke long runs for scores or significant first downs during critical points in games. Could Studsrud play better? Absolutely. Could he play worse? Absolutely. Remember, Bubba's philosophy - considering the defensive focus - is that the only bad offensive play is a turnover. Studsrud has protected the ball relatively well by not throwing many interceptions. Relatively speaking, the other QBs on the roster were turnover machines compared to Studsrud. Studsrud needs to improve his accuracy, timing, and general decision-making, but I believe he will. He looks night and day compared to where he was a true freshmen, so why can't he improve from his true sophomore season to his junior season? 

The other issue I have with your assessment of the QB play is it assumes everything else on the offense is set. That is, the offensive line, wide receivers, and running backs are all doing their job at a high level; however, that simply isn't true. Offensive linemen are occasionally holding or missing blocks, wide receivers aren't consistently getting separation, and the RB's run blind or timid at times. All in all, the offense needs to improve beyond just the QB position. Nevertheless, UND has ran the football extremely well in 3 of their 5 games, and they have won 4 of their 5 games. The improvement that the offense has shown from 2014 to 2015 is considerable, and as a result, I think the offense is on the right path. Still need to clean up mistakes though, particularly penalties and turnovers from bad decisions. Rudolph may need to make some better play-calling choices as well. 

agree +1000

How many QBs actually SCORE on the QB power plays for TDs vs Wyoming and Portland State?

Sure they hit the hole and break upfield, but do they get caught and are forced to snap it again?

How about turning the corner and beating the edge on the naked boot on 3rd down today to end the game?  You can't even have that play on your call sheet with some other QBs.

Edited by UNDvince97-01
  • Upvote 3