SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: UND at PSU

geaux_sioux

Studsrud has broke long runs for scores or significant first downs during critical points in games. Could Studsrud play better? Absolutely. Could he play worse? Absolutely. Remember, Bubba's philosophy - considering the defensive focus - is that the only bad offensive play is a turnover. Studsrud has protected the ball relatively well by not throwing many interceptions. Relatively speaking, the other QBs on the roster were turnover machines compared to Studsrud. Studsrud needs to improve his accuracy, timing, and general decision-making, but I believe he will. He looks night and day compared to where he was a true freshmen, so why can't he improve from his true sophomore season to his junior season? 

The other issue I have with your assessment of the QB play is it assumes everything else on the offense is set. That is, the offensive line, wide receivers, and running backs are all doing their job at a high level; however, that simply isn't true. Offensive linemen are occasionally holding or missing blocks, wide receivers aren't consistently getting separation, and the RB's run blind or timid at times. All in all, the offense needs to improve beyond just the QB position. Nevertheless, UND has ran the football extremely well in 3 of their 5 games, and they have won 4 of their 5 games. The improvement that the offense has shown from 2014 to 2015 is considerable, and as a result, I think the offense is on the right path. Still need to clean up mistakes though, particularly penalties and turnovers from bad decisions. Rudolph may need to make some better play-calling choices as well. 

I will respectfully disagree,  but the fact we are debating these things at 4-1 is quite fun.

I will respectfully disagree,  but the fact we are debating these things at 4-1 is quite fun.

That is fine.

I just think the reason UND is 4-1 is because they are successfully running the football and that complements the defense. UND's running game would not be as effective as it is if they were playing an immobile QB. UND needs to work with what they got, and because they have a solid defense, running the football, controlling time of possession, and preventing turnovers is the best way to go about it right now. When UND gets some better skill-position players, then a more traditional pro-style QB may make more sense. For now though, having a QB that potentially can run for over 100 yards in a game is something that the opposing defenses have to prepare for, and that's a good thing for UND football. When the passing game starts to click, then really watch out.

As I said last week, lets focus on improvement rather than change. UND football was irrelevant for too long for there to be over-focusing on points of criticism. Rather, lets focus on the success and potential that Bubba has developed. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe I missed some, but I'd like to see more easy quick throws: a bubble screen or quick slants. 

This is something that I have missed as well. I was hoping for more of this after the NDSU game, but it appears Rudolph hasn't installed it or at least hasn't called it. Hopefully that changes. I think bubble screens and quick slants, among other quick outside routes, would help stretch a defense out in order to open up the running game. 

Studsrud may be the best QB for this team - I don't agree and think a semblance of a passing game would open up the run as much or more than a running QB.  That being said, I am extremely frustrated with the idea that we can't even get in a QB that could hold his own with our better DII QB's.  

Edited by Irish
  • Upvote 1

Studsrud is very inconsistent. Throws a nice tight accurate ball about once out of five throws. The other one is hit the ground short. One is way overthrown. And the other two might be barely caught thanks to great adjustments by the receivers but they never get any YAC because they had to dive to catch the ball.

If you watch most of his inaccurate passes have to do with his feet and pressure.  It is very correctable and I am not in the camp of the people on the board that think he doesn't have the arm talent, I actually think he needs to learn to throw with more anticipation and touch a lot of the time.  I have seen improvement and as long as it continues I think we are in pretty good shape because of what he can do and did do with his feet today. 

• Upvote 2

Studs is 4-1 to date on the season. Is he a top self FCS QB? Is he at the helm of a 4-1 team atop the BSC standings now? Those answers are not both yes but he has been good enough so far.

• Upvote 1

Bubble screen? We haven't run Any type of screen all year. Rudolph apparently doesn't understand that it's a better 3rd and 20 option than a QB draw sometimes

They ran a bubble first play of the game I believe and Stanley dropped it.  

They ran a bubble first play of the game I believe and Stanley dropped it.  

Yep, and those plays aren't something you can run and have success more than a few times during a game and that is if the guy catching the ball has the ability to run after the catch.  I think they should be sprinkled into the offense but not a major staple.

Pretty crazy that other than the first long play the two scoring drives for Portland were 2 yards and 8 yards. Other than the offense putting them in bad spots, they were really lights out. 

that is a statement of this defense.  and one of those scores was a FG.  If the defense don't hold to a FG we lose.  Is this defense for real.  Last year we held PSU out of the endzone on 4th down to win the game.  Then yesterday another goal line stance.  Awesome job by the defense.

Edited by Nodak78

And it's not close...

It took Hendrickson 4 years to finally get a chance to get on the field, more from a mental standpoint.

I believe that he was moved to WR because of injury problems at that position for a year.  So, he floated around early on because of his athletic ability.

I believe some people on here are absolutely obsessed with getting Mollberg back onto the field at QB. I don't see that happening. If the coaches want to make a change at QB, Bartels probably would get the nod. But he isn't all that mobile and with our O-line issues, that isn't a good combination.

Let's just enjoy the 4-1 start and get pumped up for Homecoming next Saturday.

I believe some people on here are absolutely obsessed with getting Mollberg back onto the field at QB. I don't see that happening. If the coaches want to make a change at QB, Bartels probably would get the nod. But he isn't all that mobile and with our O-line issues, that isn't a good combination.

Let's just enjoy the 4-1 start and get pumped up for Homecoming next Saturday.

Why don't you think mollberg could get the start. He was the starter before he got injured over bartles and was a mobile guy who was an above average thrower before he hurt himself. Now if he isn't healed he won't start but if he is I see no reason why he wouldn't be above bartles at a minimum. 

• Downvote 2

Studsrud has the most to offer given the current state of the roster. Studsrud is slowly but surely getting better throwing the ball, and his athleticism is a huge plus for the offense and the way Bubba wants to run the football. Bartels has no running ability and the WR corps isn't deep enough with Georges out to rely on the WRs consistently getting separation. Same with Mollberg - the injury last season has likely cost Mollberg a lot of his mobility. Its time to support Studsrud a bit more; the team is 4-1 (2-0) so apparently he is doing somethings right. 

Why don't you think mollberg could get the start. He was the starter before he got injured over bartles and was a mobile guy who was an above average thrower before he hurt himself. Now if he isn't healed he won't start but if he is I see no reason why he wouldn't be above bartles at a minimum. 

Oh, so you miss Mollberg dancing around for 5 seconds after the ball is snapped and then throwing off his back foot? I sure don't. The kid is just too inconsistent and too unpredictable for my taste.

Oh, so you miss Mollberg dancing around for 5 seconds after the ball is snapped and then throwing off his back foot? I sure don't. The kid is just too inconsistent and too unpredictable for my taste.

I much prefer studrud locking onto a reciever then bailing outta the pocket and getting sacked the ten times a game he's asked to pass. 

Studsrud is fine for us now, but the ndsu game showed that this team won't be a true contender unless the offense takes the next step. I haven't seen enough flashes from studsrud as a Passer to trust that he eventually will become a guy that will make defenses respect the passing game. 

Edited by Sodacker