SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Attendance

darell1976

I was disappointed with the attendance for Drake, considering it was the home opener and Potato Bowl combined, and UND was coming off its first ever FBS win.

Too bad we can't replicate that awesome 2008 schedule whent the all time attendance record was set.  :silly:

UND beats PSU there should be no reason 9-10k shouldn't be at the Alerus the next week for homecoming. Going 4-1 and 2-0 would be an unbelievable feeling.

I was disappointed with the attendance for Drake, considering it was the home opener and Potato Bowl combined, and UND was coming off its first ever FBS win.**

Too bad we can't replicate that awesome 2008 schedule whent the all time attendance record was set.  :silly:

Does "Potato Bowl" really mean anything these days? I have yet to hear, "Yeah I'm going to the game its "Potato Bowl Weekend!" (Growing up in Grand Forks it generally meant free fries and a parade...oh yeah and a football game. Which you were probably going to or not regardless).

Every home game is something: Season Opener, Potato Bowl, Military Appreciation, Homecoming, Hall of Fame Band Day, Senior Recognition.

**Those guys down south have basically set the areas populations expectations "unrealistically" high....When UND Mens Basketball makes the NCAA tournament. It will be a nice prize to UND fans. But now it'll be "When will you win a first round game?"

Edited by Cratter

The student section is not technically sold out. It's just blocked off and free tickets are given out at the Union. That section will be blocked off whether all the student tickets get picked up or not.

apparently you didn't notice the wink at the end of that

The student section is not technically sold out. It's just blocked off and free tickets are given out at the Union. That section will be blocked off whether all the student tickets get picked up or not.

I believe "Siouxperfan7" was going for a bit of verbal irony there. We all know how wonderful the students have been with their allotted sections....

Hopefully the student attendance is great on Saturday. They make a huge difference with the atmosphere and this up-and-coming football program deserves full attention from the student body. 

I believe "Siouxperfan7" was going for a bit of verbal irony there. We all know how wonderful the students have been with their allotted sections....

Hopefully the student attendance is great on Saturday. They make a huge difference with the atmosphere and this up-and-coming football program deserves full attention from the student body. 

I think they have been better this year

They need to stop slapping the seats on third down a get their heads up and yell.

We must remember that this generation of students knows only losing and losing badly. They have no concept of a UND football program as a national contender playing and beating good teams at home. It will come with time.

• Upvote 1

Does "Potato Bowl" really mean anything these days? I have yet to hear, "Yeah I'm going to the game its "Potato Bowl Weekend!" (Growing up in Grand Forks it generally meant free fries and a parade...oh yeah and a football game. Which you were probably going to or not regardless).

Every home game is something: Season Opener, Potato Bowl, Military Appreciation, Homecoming, Hall of Fame Band Day, Senior Recognition.

**Those guys down south have basically set the areas populations expectations "unrealistically" high....When UND Mens Basketball makes the NCAA tournament. It will be a nice prize to UND fans. But now it'll be "When will you win a first round game?"

Those should be our expectations regardless of what the Ag College does or doesn't do.

I remember slapping the seats AND yelling when we beat Montana at home a few years ago.  Everyone around me was, as well.  The students will get louder as the team gets more wins and the games more meaningful/exciting.    

Slap the seats and yell.   I do it and haven't been a student for 35 years.   A few older folks like me look and wonder what I'm doing but I do get some to join in.  We need the oise.  We need them to get penalties and waste timeouts.

• Upvote 2

Slap the seats and yell.   I do it and haven't been a student for 35 years.   A few older folks like me look and wonder what I'm doing but I do get some to join in.  We need the oise.  We need them to get penalties and waste timeouts.

Yeah I think you manage to watch, slap, and yell simultaneously. I have high standards though, just not for myself. My seats are directly behind the railing, so slapping that is ineffectual and painful.

They need to stop slapping the seats on third down a get their heads up and yell.

My seats are right next to the student section and its loud when they do that.  I'd like to think our students are coordinated enough to hit a chair back with their head up.  Not sure if they can do 3 functions and yell at the same time but I'll keep an eye on that Saturday and report back to the group. 

I remember slapping the seats AND yelling when we beat Montana at home a few years ago.  Everyone around me was, as well.  The students will get louder as the team gets more wins and the games more meaningful/exciting.    

That was loud in the Alerus that night.  Great game and atmosphere.  I remember it sure rattled Montana players.

Those should be our expectations regardless of what the Ag College does or doesn't do.

Not the way it works though.

You can't change the psychological make-up of 18 to 22 year old college students; it is what it is. 

College students expect an exciting atmosphere or a winning product apparently; otherwise, they wont participate. NDSU is the football king in the region right now, and until UND starts making a name for itself, it will remain that way. 

Fortunately, UND football is finally starting to deliver, so I expect student attendance to rise. 

Not the way it works though.

You can't change the psychological make-up of 18 to 22 year old college students; it is what it is. 

College students expect an exciting atmosphere or a winning product apparently; otherwise, they wont participate. NDSU is the football king in the region right now, and until UND starts making a name for itself, it will remain that way. 

Fortunately, UND football is finally starting to deliver, so I expect student attendance to rise. 

I wasn't really talking about student attitudes; I was referring to what the athletic department and, just as importantly, the Office of President thinks our goals and expectations should be. And unless you are working to be a national title contender in FCS and an annual contender to make the NCAA basketball tournament in both men's and women's basketball, then you are a mid-major Division I school for all the wrong reasons.

And I didn't leave hockey out on purpose; those programs already have those expectations ingrained into their cultures.

Winning solves a lot of problems, so we just need to sit back and be patient.

• Upvote 1

My first game as a student, there was 12,300 people and a loud students section.

Then Sioux Falls happened.  A woeful transition period where success was little.  very little interaction from Muss. Football was rendered a joke in the students eyes.  

Now... the process of changing that perception has begun.  Bubba had done more in 1.5 years for us as students than muss did.... ever. 

Im expecting a full and loud student sections Saturday.

• Upvote 1