SiouxSports.com Forum

NoiseInsideMyHead

Can you point me to this podcast? I'd actually love to listen to it but it appears KNOX doesn't have the technology or didn't think it was important enough to record.

oh boy....i may have screwed up again for you. Maybe they dont do pods...not sure. Figured every talk show had their shows recorded.

Maybe its like you said, its just not important enough to save that one.:silly:

Edited by bigskyvikes

The NCAA has sent a clear shot across the bow.   If UND remains "North Dakota" and other schools complain that the school or fans are essentially maintaining use of the Fighting Sioux nickname, they could reinstate sanctions.  To me, Kelley had no other choice but to remove it from the ballot.   Why is this so difficult for people to understand?   

• Upvote 1

The NCAA has sent a clear shot across the bow.   If UND remains "North Dakota" and other schools complain that the school or fans are essentially maintaining use of the Fighting Sioux nickname, they could reinstate sanctions.  To me, Kelley had no other choice but to remove it from the ballot.   Why is this so difficult for people to understand?   

I am not advocating what this fellow is doing, but what you stated cannot be backed up with anything but the fellows statement.  The agreement is a document that must be followed by UND and the NCAA.  That is the law, not NCAA conjecture.  Not choosing a nickname would have met the requirements, since the NCAA does not have any requirements that a school must have a nickname.  As far as the complaint issue, the NCAA has no current grounds to sanction UND since they would have met the requirements of the agreement.  Please give me their current guidelines about fans speech that would have backed up this fellows statement.  I will save you time, because I have looked, and it does not exist.  You can make the same statement about them possibly sanctioning UND if people continue to wear Sioux gear and yell "Sioux" when the new nickname is decided.  That does not have standing either, but is just fearmongering.  This should have been explained quickly, but I do not feel the administration wanted to, and the Almuni Administration has just been hands off in this whole process (other than information for voter id), which is also sad.

• Upvote 4

I am not advocating what this fellow is doing, but what you stated cannot be backed up with anything but the fellows statement.  The agreement is a document that must be followed by UND and the NCAA.  That is the law, not NCAA conjecture.  Not choosing a nickname would have met the requirements, since the NCAA does not have any requirements that a school must have a nickname.  As far as the complaint issue, the NCAA has no current grounds to sanction UND since they would have met the requirements of the agreement.  Please give me their current guidelines about fans speech that would have backed up this fellows statement.  I will save you time, because I have looked, and it does not exist.  You can make the same statement about them possibly sanctioning UND if people continue to wear Sioux gear and yell "Sioux" when the new nickname is decided.  That does not have standing either, but is just fearmongering.  This should have been explained quickly, but I do not feel the administration wanted to, and the Almuni Administration has just been hands off in this whole process (other than information for voter id), which is also sad.

Facts...they sure are boring. Its nice to read the truth for a change on here about this stuff.

A+

It's not. Some folks are just choosing to be obtuse. 

It's not. Some folks are just choosing to be obtuse. 

Its not really being obtuse. The truth is that regardless of what name is chosen, there will be a group of fans that will always refer to them as the Fighting Sioux and sport Fighting Sioux apparel anyway. So that argument really doesn't carry much weight.

Fan Perspective 1: We're North Dakota, so I can still yell Go Sioux!

Fan Perspective 2: Well UND adopted the name Sundogs, now I can't yell Go Sioux.

The logic just isn't there ... people don't think like that.

• Upvote 1

The NCAA Executive Committee (or whatever name it was recently given) was granted the power to make rules on the fly, as they see fit. 

That's a fact as well. 

Oh, the Executive Committee doesn't like native names at their events and they have power to make rules to keep them away.

That's also a fact. 

• Upvote 1

The NCAA Executive Committee (or whatever name it was recently given) was granted the power to make rules on the fly, as they see fit. 

That's a fact as well. 

Oh, the Executive Committee doesn't like native names at their events and they have power to make rules to keep them away.

That's also a fact. 

Yes, but the NCAA just hosted a mens hockey regional in Fargo a few months ago.  And unless I'm mistaken they didn't so much as ask a "Sioux" fan to clear the aisle.

And then, inexplicably, the NCAA just awarded a 2017 regional to…can you believe this…Fargo.

So you'll have to excuse people for not running scared from the NCAA right now. 

• Upvote 2

Yes, but the NCAA just hosted a mens hockey regional in Fargo a few months ago.  And unless I'm mistaken they didn't so much as ask a "Sioux" fan to clear the aisle.

And then, inexplicably, the NCAA just awarded a 2017 regional to…can you believe this…Fargo.

There are about 20+ pages of this thread that this argument plays out.  As of right now, UND is working towards a replacement nickname for "Fighting Sioux".  

Let me try again Goon, yes you're right....he is not Sioux. But the people he represents are. Now can you please stop asking how he has standing? I shouldn't have wrote that part, I thought he said that, I was wrong. He is the lawyer, and the people he represents are Sioux people. There is your standing. This was all hashed out on the radio by Ryan....good show, you should listen 

I'm pretty sure that the courts have already ruled that the members of the Sioux tribe do not have standing to sue over the University of North Dakota sports nickname. They tried that one time before and the case was dismissed. It's unlikely that they have magically gained standing in the last 3 years.

I'm pretty sure that the courts have already ruled that the members of the Sioux tribe do not have standing to sue over the University of North Dakota sports nickname. They tried that one time before and the case was dismissed. It's unlikely that they have magically gained standing in the last 3 years.

But hear me out here....what if a guy from Texas files the lawsuit?  That seems like it would be a game changer, no?

• Upvote 3

The NCAA has said that that UND is in compliance with the settlement.  This is true.  Saying that a private organization has the ability to make up new rules (which was granted to them) that pertain to memebr institutions is not fear mongering.  It is fact.  plain and simple.  I am not saying that the NCAA is going to bring the hammer down on UND, but they aren't going to let them get away with anything.  The NCAA has stated they are fine with UND for not having a nickname and remaining "North Dakota".  But they said there will be issues if problems arise from not having a nickname, like complaints from other schools.  Now of course this sounds just ridiculous that opposing fans would have a problem with us not having a new nickname and hearing chants and seeing clothing that has the Sioux logo on it.  But what part of this process hasn't been beyond ridiculous!!

The committee decided and Kelley confirmed that playing it safe and not going with the no nickname option was going to result in the best possible outcome for the future of UND and its athletic programs.  You may want to fight the NCAA for another decade.  But, UND absolutely does not.  

Let me try again Goon, yes you're right....he is not Sioux. But the people he represents are. Now can you please stop asking how he has standing? I shouldn't have wrote that part, I thought he said that, I was wrong. He is the lawyer, and the people he represents are Sioux people. There is your standing. This was all hashed out on the radio by Ryan....good show, you should listen 

So this guy represents the Sioux people...where was this guy when Standing Rock voted to get rid of the Sioux name? Why didn't we hear his name in the media? Where was his protests of the Standing Rocking Tribal Council? UND is a couple weeks from choosing a new name and this joker, excuse me, voice of the Sioux people suddenly comes out of the woodwork and wants to sue? What a joke! If he wanted action he would have done something like 5 years ago.

So this guy represents the Sioux people...where was this guy when Standing Rock voted to get rid of the Sioux name? Why didn't we hear his name in the media? Where was his protests of the Standing Rocking Tribal Council? UND is a couple weeks from choosing a new name and this joker, excuse me, voice of the Sioux people suddenly comes out of the woodwork and wants to sue? What a joke! If he wanted action he would have done something like 5 years ago.

Perhaps he was contacted by the Sioux people after his letter to the editor.

Scheel's Arena is not the REA

Lets get someone to hack into the ballot website and just add North Dakota to the options. Sounds like a winning idea to me :)

I wonder if we can get McGee from NCIS to hack into the computer server and fix this. :)

Scheel's Arena is not the REA

Before you say it, yes I understand UND is the host

My post was about fan conduct and didn't have anything to do with buildings or hosts.  The regional was an NCAA event, regardless of where it was held.  Sic suggested that the NCAA was waiting to pounce on UND as a direct result of fan conduct at NCAA events and would do anything within its rule making power to do so.

I merely pointed out that not only did the NCAA not make a peep about the '15 regional in Fargo -- which happened to have been hosted by UND and where nothing but Sioux could be seen or heard from floor to rafter -- they went ahead and rewarded Fargo and UND with another regional in two years' time.

There are only two possibilities:  (1) Sic is absolutely right and '17 is the biggest trap in NCAA history; or (2) the NCAA really doesn't intend to do a damn thing about Sioux-related fan conduct now that it is no longer UND's official nickname.  My money is on the latter.