SiouxSports.com Forum

NoiseInsideMyHead

If Nodaks is so good and was used already in the '40s ... why was it dropped. 

Don't say "for Sioux" because that was adopted in the '30s. 

If Nodaks is so great, why was it dropped.  

People in the '40s just weren't prepared to handle the alliteration and how well it rolls off the tongue.

University of North Dakota NoDaks.....:silly:

People in the '40s just weren't prepared to handle the alliteration and how well it rolls off the tongue.

University of North Dakota NoDaks.....:silly:

Again, I will be alright with Nodaks, Fighting Hawks, and RR's. Leaning Nodaks for my vote right now. 

But I can't wait to see the potential melt down on here for a few of you when your one and only name isn't selected!

Good luck!

Honestly not trying to troll the Nodak fans, but what does a Nodak logo look like on a hockey jersey?

You know we should leave that up to the high powered agency that will be hired to come up with the logo - one thing is for sure - not everyone will like it. 

There was also a group of Native American students also filed a lawsuit against UND requesting the University to discontinue the use of the Fighting Sioux name not to mention countless protests and complaints. There was by no means universal support for the Spirit Lake lawsuit (which should be noted was filed without standing and immediately thrown out).

I get the strong connection and support for the Fighting Sioux nickname (I'd guess it would be almost unanimous around here, myself included), however it is apparent that you and others aren't going to let it go even though it was obvious long ago that the best thing for the overall health and future of the University of North Dakota was to move on while respectfully honoring the past. Maybe you don't care about the University outside of what the athletic teams are called and wear on their jerseys but there are many stakeholders that do and can see the much bigger picture, which doesn't include a nickname that continues to draw incredibly scrutiny, negative media attention and waste resources that should be spent on furthering the goals of the University, not a battle that was lost long, long ago.

Absolutly Amazing how much BS can be jammed into one post.  Let's look at your tactics, they're the standard around here:

Tactic 1:  Your attempts to marginalize the Spirit Lake lawsuit against the NCAA is as laughable as it is predictable. Stating that a "group" of students who filed a lawsuit against the name is equivalent in meaning to a law suit filed by the Spirit lake tribe is nothing more than a simple manipulation aimed at minimizing the value and relivence of what it meant and continues to mean with respect to what position THE SPIRIT LAKE TRIBE held.  

To compare this to the position of "a group of students" and anything they did is simply asinine and frankly the kind of cheep bush league thinking that got us all onto this mess in the first place.

Tactic 2:  Always throw in a claim that we "don't care about the university".  There are several derivations of this one, from we only care about the hocky team to we don't care about the student athletes.

Through time it has gone from accusations of not caring when people believed in keeping the Sioux name to making the same condescending and deragatory charges toward those who want the nickname to be North Dakota.  Always throwing in the don't care about some innocent entity.  Always have to have the victim right?  After all it is the American way now a days isn't it?  Well, except when it goes against the agenda anyway.  Just ask the majority of Sioux people about this one once.  Seems an interesting lack of caring by anyone there?? 

Tactic 3:  Saying that we won't " let it go".  Previously anyone who was a supporter of keeping the Sioux name and fighting back against the NCAA's arbitrary and capricious meddaling beyond the reasonable bounds of their authority was defined as someone who won't let it go.  

Now days anyone who supports the North Dakota nickname gets charged with an altetier motive of wanting to keep the Sioux name unofficially.  Awww shucks!!, ya got me. Guilty.  

To think I'm going to continue to refer to the team of my school,  my team, by the name that I want, the name we are, the name we all love by the name which has fulfilled its purpose like non other in the history of teams and the names used to identify them.  Keep working these tactics my friends (all eleven of ya).  It ain't gonna happen.

Sioux forever!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You know we should leave that up to the high powered agency that will be hired to come up with the logo - one thing is for sure - not everyone will like it. 

I sure hope that this high powered agency does a better job with the logo than the high powered consulting firm did with the nickname recommendation.

Now days anyone who supports the North Dakota nickname gets charged with an altetier motive of wanting to keep the Sioux name unofficially.  Awww shucks!!, ya got me. Guilty.  

As much as you are trying to be funny, this is the reason the majority of people support the "no nickname" option.  Look at the pictures from rally to support the North Dakota option...the was wearing a Sioux hockey jersey!!   Groups like The Sioux Were Silenced are in support of the no nickname option.  What does that tell you?  So as much as you laugh and make fun of everyone else labeling "no nickname" supporters as "Sioux forever" supporters, the fact is that it is true for the majority.  

As much as you are trying to be funny, this is the reason the majority of people support the "no nickname" option.  Look at the pictures from rally to support the North Dakota option...the was wearing a Sioux hockey jersey!!   Groups like The Sioux Were Silenced are in support of the no nickname option.  What does that tell you?  So as much as you laugh and make fun of everyone else labeling "no nickname" supporters as "Sioux forever" supporters, the fact is that it is true for the majority.  

So true!  The vast majority are still Sioux supporters.  We can embrace both the past and the present. 

agreed.

True, the visuals are more important than the nickname.

How many different logos were used with the old nickname? Right away I come up with Ben Brien's, the geometric, the blackhawk, "Sammy", ... 

Art, visual styles, change with eras.

The nickname is what ties the timeline together. That's why I think voting on names without logos does make sense. 

• Upvote 1

To think I'm going to continue to refer to the team of my school,  my team, by the name that I want, the name we are, the name we all love by the name which has fulfilled its purpose like non other in the history of teams and the names used to identify them.  Keep working these tactics my friends (all eleven of ya).  It ain't gonna happen. 

Just to be clear, what exactly is that purpose that it fulfilled better than all other nicknames? Can you point to me games and championships that were won because of a now retired nickname?  Which losses over the past couple years were because the teams no longer had the Fighting Sioux logo on the front of their jerseys? 

Pride is one thing but the deity status that some people continue to put on an inanimate object are frankly unbelievable.

• Upvote 3

How many different logos were used with the old nickname? Right away I come up with Ben Brien's, the geometric, the blackhawk, "Sammy", ... 

The nickname is what ties the timeline together. That's why I think voting on names without logos does make sense. 

I agree with this in principle.  However, this would have stirred the ire of the "we are wasting money on consultants" crowd with the five logo designs.  

Just to be clear, what exactly is that purpose that it fulfilled better than all other nicknames? Can you point to me games and championships that were won because of a now retired nickname?  Which losses over the past couple years were because the teams no longer had the Fighting Sioux logo on the front of their jerseys? 

Pride is one thing but the deity status that some people continue to put on an inanimate object are frankly unbelievable.

Thank you for asking this very relevant question, What is the purpose of a nickname?

I will not point you to the games which the nickname has one as I do not believe that is the purpose of a nickname. Thank you though for attempting to debate an assertion that was not made. 

Next you even go further and throw out the deity status association because I proclaim to love our name.  I love my children, my wife, my mom, my country, my hometown, my house, and even most days my driver(golf club).

I think we should agree that we can both love things and further have strong feelings about keeping them and not having to let them go while at the same time knowing that these things are not deities. But nice try.

We'll just go ahead and call this tactic 4:

Those of us who love the Sioux name and plan to continue using it are now radical fundamentalist. Good one!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This will be a new beginning.  You have to let time pass before there can be a timeline.

Thank you for asking this very relevant question, What is the purpose of a nickname?

You failed to answer what criteria was met by the Fighting Sioux nickname in order for you to proclaim that it "fulfilled its purpose like non other in the history of teams and the names used to identify them"

Simple question to a strong assertion.

You failed to answer what criteria was met by the Fighting Sioux nickname in order for you to proclaim that it "fulfilled its purpose like non other in the history of teams and the names used to identify them"

Simple question to a strong assertion.

You are corect.  I have not answered that.

This will be a new beginning.  You have to let time pass before there can be a timeline.

You didn't like the first response? How about ... 

It is a new beginning to a new timeline that history says will have a changing logo. So focus on the nickname, not the (sure to change) logo, to start things off.