SiouxSports.com Forum

NoiseInsideMyHead

I am not sure why people do not understand the NCAA must also comply with the settlement agreement.  This is a legal document and not a NCAA document.  It was stated that not having a nickname would have complied.  There is no "partial" compliance or gray area of this agreement, which again is a legal document that the courts said the NCAA must comply with.  They stated that no nickname, just remaining North Dakota was compliance.  Period.  If the NCAA tried to sanction North Dakota based on public speech, I would have been willing to deal with that.  I know we are now voting for a new nickname, but there have been a lot of people not honest about the "No nickname" issue. 

I think the rub is in here.  Sure, there is an agreement, until the NCAA decides they want to change their rules.  IMO they can do that at will, and have signaled that they will depending on the outcome of the nickname process.   I think that's where you and I differ.   You believe they are bound by that agreement and I believe they'll change their rules to suit the situation.    I'd love it if you are right.   I just think the NCAA will have a quick hook.

• Upvote 3

I think the rub is in here.  Sure, there is an agreement, until the NCAA decides they want to change their rules.  IMO they can do that at will, and have signaled that they will depending on the outcome of the nickname process.   I think that's where you and I differ.   You believe they are bound by that agreement and I believe they'll change their rules to suit the situation.    I'd love it if you are right.   I just think the NCAA will have a quick hook.

It's becomes a little harder to have "a quick" hook post settlement than what it was for the NCAA before then.  Also, I don't think the NCAA wants to stir things up to much now days after the Spirit Lake Sioux people filed a lawsuit against them to try to keep the Sioux name as the official nickname.  (It still is our nickname.  Always will be ;-))

They have zero moral standing left to justify raping our name and I'm guessing they know it..,

It's becomes a little harder to have "a quick" hook post settlement than what it was for the NCAA before then.  Also, I don't think the NCAA wants to stir things up to much now days after the Spirit Lake Sioux people filed a lawsuit against them to try to keep the Sioux name as the official nickname.  (It still is our nickname.  Always will be ;-))

How do you figure, the schools granted the Executive Committee (or whatever it is called now) unilateral authority to make decisions. No more full membership votes needed. And how did that lawsuit that the Spirit Lake Sioux turn out?

How do you figure, the schools granted the Executive Committee (or whatever it is called now) unilateral authority to make decisions. No more full membership votes needed. And how did that lawsuit that the Spirit Lake Sioux turn out?

The point is not Spirit Lake's legal standing or lack there of.  The point is that simply by the virtue of the Spirit Lake tribe's filing of the lawsuit the idiocy of the NCAA in forcing UND to drop the name is demonstrated.  It is the epitome of the lunacy of political correctness run amuck- basically being sued by the very group you are professing to protect or represent in some sick way.  The only reason the NCAA is not mocked for this is that this fact got pretty much got zero press. I would guess that was because the NCAA had finished with all of its acting in the matter by the time Spirit Lake filed the suit so there was no news on the topic happening then? It's shocking to me how few people actually know anything about the position of the Sioux people on this matter... 

Here is the rub and the most important consideration:  IF the NCAA were to "attempt to" initiate some additive action against UND due to our choosing to be called only North Dakota, then there would surely be another round of legal sqabbling which would put the whole matter back into the media. This time the NCAA would have a tough battle which they would stand to be at risk of loosing.  While at the same time, one could hope that the media would be ethical and appropriate and at least mention a couple of compelling facts; One, the fact that the Sioux people filed a lawsuit in an attempt to force the school to keep the name and two, the fact that the Sioux people also created a campaign called the Sioux were silenced in an attempt to get some public understanding of their position.

I can personally think of nothing more news worthy in this entire decade long fiasco than the fact that the Spirit Lake Sioux sued the NCAA over this.  I think we should embrace this potential fight.  It would be one we finally have a shot at, a very good shot at, both in the court of public opinion and in equal measure legally. 

So from the perspective of someone that has the opinion that the NCAA has acted beyond reproach in an arbitrary and capricious manner toward the name which I have taken as part of my identity over the course of the last 25 years of my life, I am very much desiring this chapter in the fight.  And it is very apparent that the majority of interested parties and invested people share this opinion that we should chose North Dakota as our nickname.  Conversely there are those who seek to marginalize those of us who share this position through condescension and derogatory characterizations as if our passion and love for what we are called is something to be ashamed of.  And the most vexing truth is the apparent answer to the question; Which of these positions is in the heart of our leader, our president?  That is what brings out the ire in so many who are charged with behaving in the manner of a "cry baby".

There have surely been many fits thrown for a score but the least of which have been from those who love the Sioux name.

Edited by yababy8
  • Upvote 3

http://podcast.flagfamily.com/?name=2015-10-15_10-10-15_und_nickname_montage.mp3

Good to see Berry is going to keep the Sioux name alive and kicking in the hockey program.  He is really behind the University and Athletic Department during this time of transition. :silly:

Those three spent the whole segment talking about how to get the name back, how great it was, how much of a role it's going to continue to play in the hockey program.  Oh, and threw out a few token comments about which name they would pick (but obviously don't give a sh-t about).  

• Upvote 1

http://podcast.flagfamily.com/?name=2015-10-15_10-10-15_und_nickname_montage.mp3

Good to see Berry is going to keep the Sioux name alive and kicking in the hockey program.  He is really behind the University and Athletic Department during this time of transition. :silly:

Those three spent the whole segment talking about how to get the name back, how great it was, how much of a role it's going to continue to play in the hockey program.  Oh, and threw out a few token comments about which name they would pick (but obviously don't give a sh-t about).  

I am shocked that he picked Nodaks

Oh wait, not really. 

Its still better than Sundogs... I can live with it :D

What's the general consensus on campus from students? Any guess on how many will take the time to vote?

I wonder how many of the online students are actually going to vote.  If I had to wager out of 14,000 eligible, I would say about half (5-6 K on campus and 1-2 online) 
From what I have seen and heard: Fighting Hawks is #1 with a bullet, North Stars is 2nd, Nodaks 3rd, Roughriders 4th and Sundogs 5th
Students do not like Roughriders because... of Red River having the name (do not shoot the messenger please)

Sundogs... well because it is stupid

Yes, but the NCAA just hosted a mens hockey regional in Fargo a few months ago.  And unless I'm mistaken they didn't so much as ask a "Sioux" fan to clear the aisle.

And then, inexplicably, the NCAA just awarded a 2017 regional to…can you believe this…Fargo.

So you'll have to excuse people for not running scared from the NCAA right now. 

Question why wouldnt they have the regional in GF? Or does it have to be at a neutral site. ?

Wow - good for Berry - shows you who really rules the roost at UND.