SiouxSports.com Forum

NoiseInsideMyHead

Thank you for asking this very relevant question, What is the purpose of a nickname?

I will not point you to the games which the nickname has one as I do not believe that is the purpose of a nickname. Thank you though for attempting to debate an assertion that was not made. 

Next you even go further and throw out the deity status association because I proclaim to love our name.  I love my children, my wife, my mom, my country, my hometown, my house, and even most days my driver(golf club).

I think we should agree that we can both love things and further have strong feelings about keeping them and not having to let them go while at the same time knowing that these things are not deities. But nice try.

We'll just go ahead and call this tactic 4:

Those of us who love the Sioux name and plan to continue using it are now radical fundamentalist. Good one!

So let's fast foward to, let's just say,  the year 2022.  The new name and logo have been in place for several years.  Every current student athlete will have only played under the new name.  Teams will be wearing jerseys with the new name and logo.  The Alerus, the Betty, and yes even the Ralph will have the new name and logo displayed prominently.   You are telling me that you are still going to continue to wear your outdated Sioux jersey and yell a retired name even though many will be cheering and displaying the name and logo of the ACTUAL nickname for UND?  

You didn't like the first response? How about ... 

It is a new beginning to a new timeline that history says will have a changing logo. So focus on the nickname, not the (sure to change) logo, to start things off. 

In fact i don't like the second response either. Does "history" tell you we will never change the nickname?  Kind of obvious given our current situation.

If Nodaks is so good and was used already in the '40s ... why was it dropped. 

Don't say "for Sioux" because that was adopted in the '30s. 

If Nodaks is so great, why was it dropped. 

It's not that anybody thinks Nodaks "is so great".  It's that those in favor of Nodaks feel that it is a better option, in their opinion, than the four other alternatives.

• Upvote 1

So let's fast foward to, let's just say,  the year 2022.  The new name and logo have been in place for several years.  Every current student athlete will have only played under the new name.  Teams will be wearing jerseys with the new name and logo.  The Alerus, the Betty, and yes even the Ralph will have the new name and logo displayed prominently.   You are telling me that you are still going to continue to wear your outdated Sioux jersey and yell a retired name even though many will be cheering and displaying the name and logo of the ACTUAL nickname for UND?  

"and yell a retired name"

WtF is a retired name?  Who came up with that phrase!  RETIRED?? Please!!

...oh and my Sioux apparel will be brand new..

• Upvote 1

Honestly not trying to troll the Nodak fans, but what does a Nodak logo look like on a hockey jersey?

Nothing would need to change; re-adopt the last use of the sioux jersey and replace "sioux" with "nodaks" and the sioux logo with the interlocking ND logo or a new logo altogether; create something entirely different, etc.  There's myriad possibilities.

I think another thing worth noting is that UND football's uniforms have stayed extremely consistent during this entire nickname debacle.  They've had the interlocking ND logo on their helmets for decades regardless of the nickname issue.

How many different logos were used with the old nickname? Right away I come up with Ben Brien's, the geometric, the blackhawk, "Sammy", ... 

Art, visual styles, change with eras.

The nickname is what ties the timeline together. That's why I think voting on names without logos does make sense. 

Old Chief!

Nothing would need to change; re-adopt the last use of the sioux jersey and replace "sioux" with "nodaks" and the sioux logo with the interlocking ND logo or a new logo altogether; create something entirely different, etc.  There's myriad possibilities.

I think another thing worth noting is that UND football's uniforms have stayed extremely consistent during this entire nickname debacle.  They've had the interlocking ND logo on their helmets for decades regardless of the nickname issue.

Really?  You honestly think there is any chance at all for that to happen?

How does one "RETIRE" a name. Are we going to throw a party for it?

I mean even when someone dies you don't retire their name? Names don't get retired. it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. This whole thing is so stupid I can't even comprehend it.

How can people be so stupid? We should all be ashamed of ourselves for letting this happen.

Retire the name?! If people want to call themsrelves the Sioux then they will call themselves the Sioux.  Pretty simple.  That's the whole idea of what a name is, what do you call yourself.

Who ever heard of the idea that someone can tell you what you call yourself. 

• Upvote 2

To use the name Nodaks with the Sioux logo. 

Oh, heaven's no.  I meant replace the word "Sioux" with "Nodaks" and replace the sioux logo with the interlocking ND logo or some other new logo.

"re-adopt the last use of the sioux jersey and replace "sioux" with "nodaks" and the sioux logo with the interlocking ND logo or a new logo altogether."

Reading some of the comments on the Herald's website, it is looking like the Fighting Sioux Forever crowd has moved into the bargaining stage of their grief.

Seems to be a pretty straight line in the transition from University of Fighting Sioux >>>>  University of North Dakota North Dakota >>>> University of North Dakota NoDaks.

Assuming that they will slowly move into the Depression and then Acceptance stage after the vote.

• Upvote 1

Reading some of the comments on the Herald's website, it is looking like the Fighting Sioux Forever crowd has moved into the bargaining stage of their grief.

Seems to be a pretty straight line in the transition from University of Fighting Sioux >>>>  University of North Dakota North Dakota >>>> University of North Dakota NoDaks.

Assuming that they will slowly move into the Depression and then Acceptance stage after the vote.

Wow, buddy.  I've never seen someone with such a hard-on for the "Fighting Sioux Forever crowd" as you.  Some people, like me, like Roughriders.  Others like North Stars, Others like Fighting Hawks.  Others like Sundogs.  And yes, others like Nodaks.  Give it a rest.

• Upvote 4

Wow, buddy.  I've never seen someone with such a hard-on for the "Fighting Sioux Forever crowd" as you.  Some people, like me, like Roughriders.  Others like North Stars, Others like Fighting Hawks.  Others like Sundogs.  And yes, others like Nodaks.  Give it a rest.

Go read the comments for yourself.  It's painfully obvious.

Go read the comments for yourself.  It's painfully obvious.

It's painfully obvious that the Sioux Forever crowd is pushing Nodaks.  This tells me they think they can marginalize it later or make it stream into the Sioux world later on.  Just my opinion.

So your criticizing some supporters of the Fighting Sioux nickname because they're settling on one of the five nickname options given to them.  Wow.

• Upvote 1