SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

44 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

O ok. Ive heard that sometimes you can send it in to the NCAA and there are chances that they can still get a medical redshirt. Didnt bubba say that Clive might be able to get a medical redshirt even though he already had one in Arizona? Its all up to the NCAA maybe?

Clive would need a 6th year which is a little bit different and tougher to get than a typical medical hardship . I think he has a shot due to missing half the season last year and pretty much the whole season this year. Plus he didn't exactly play a ton down at AZ, though I'm not sure how much that part factors in. Obviously would be huge for UND returning everyone on the offense outside of Coe, Reed, Mathewson and Mollberg.

So who should we be pulling for this weekend in the EWU vs MT game.

1. MT wins, and UND wins out --- UND wins the Big Sky outright and the autobid.

2. EWU wins (and wins out), UND wins out --- UND likely jumps MT in the rankings (better playoff spot) BUT UND shares the Big Sky title and the auto big goes to EWU

I'm going to assume, we would prefer the second scenario, as UND would be in the playoffs autobid or not, but would get a better position if MT loses. There is still also hope that EWU stumbles against Cal Poly, though that is a whole different issue, because if Cal Poly beats EWU (in addition to MT and SDSU) they would likely have a better position that us heading into the playoffs. (Unless CP loses to Weber or UNC). And on and on it goes.

Thoughts?!?!

4 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

2. EWU wins (and wins out), UND wins out --- UND likely jumps MT in the rankings (better playoff spot) BUT UND shares the Big Sky title and the auto big goes to EWU

I'm going to assume, we would prefer the second scenario, as UND would be in the playoffs autobid or not, but would get a better position if MT loses. There is still also hope that EWU stumbles against Cal Poly, though that is a whole different issue, because if Cal Poly beats EWU (in addition to MT and SDSU) they would likely have a better position that us heading into the playoffs. (Unless CP loses to Weber or UNC). And on and on it goes.

Thoughts?!?!

I'd rather see Montana lose this week. Otherwise even if we win out, and even if EWU loses a different game, we would likely wind up being seeded behind both EWU and Montana.   Outright, undefeated big sky champs, yet third highest seed.  I think I mentioned that scenario here a couple weeks ago. 

6 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I'd rather see Montana lose this week. Otherwise even if we win out, and even if EWU loses a different game, we would likely wind up being seeded behind both EWU and Montana.   Outright, undefeated big sky champs, yet third highest seed.  I think I mentioned that scenario here a couple weeks ago. 

Makes sense to me. I don't see any way we overtake E. Wash unless they lose a few games they should, but overtaking MT this week is a definite possibility.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Thoughts?!?!

Winning the auto bid doesn't exactly get you a seed (see SUU) and so because of that I would like to see EWU go unbeaten( beat poly and montana) the rest of the way and have montana sit at 3-4 losses.  Und takes care of business, ends with 2 loses and barring how the nations other top teams finish, und cold be sniffing a seed. Long shot....yes, but the possibility is there.   

We need SD, stony, and poly to help us out by continuing the winning ways and right now they are doing a great job 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Winning the auto bid doesn't exactly get you a seed (see SUU) and so because of that I would like to see EWU go unbeaten( beat poly and montana) the rest of the way and have montana sit at 3-4 losses.  Und takes care of business, ends with 2 loses and barring how the nations other top teams finish, und cold be sniffing a seed. Long shot....yes, but the possibility is there.   

We need SD, stony, and poly to help us out by continuing the winning ways and right now they are doing a great job 

Agreed, this all makes sense. So really we only want Poly to lose to EWU. That should be enough to drop them behind UND. Well, I'll be all for the Eagles then! Would be awesome to see UND end up in that kind of position. Makes the losses to SBU and BGSU sting a bit, as we were so close; but truth be told we were not playing great football at the time.

14 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed, this all makes sense. So really we only want Poly to lose to EWU. That should be enough to drop them behind UND. Well, I'll be all for the Eagles then! Would be awesome to see UND end up in that kind of position. Makes the losses to SBU and BGSU sting a bit, as we were so close; but truth be told we were not playing great football at the time.

Losses always sting but at least stony is looking playoff worthy and as bad as Bgsu is, they are still fbs.  So essentially und has one fcs loss to a formidable foe.   Would look really nice if und was currently 8-0 tho ;)

5 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Of course, from a reality standpoint, if EWU doesn't lose the rest of the way, that proves they will be damn near impossible for UND to beat. EWU has a darn good team ... easily could've beat NDSU in Fargo. 

4 weeks to go:

6 Big Sky teams undefeated at home

Team              Won/Loss       Home

E Wash               6 - 1              3 - 0

ND                      6 - 2              3 - 0

Weber                5 - 2              3 - 0

Cal Poly             5 - 2              3 - 0

Mont                  5 - 2              4 - 0

N Col                 4 - 3              3 - 0

2 Missouri Valley teams undefeated at home

Youngstown      5 - 2              4 - 0             

SD                    4 - 3              3 - 0

28 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

At the end of the season we could have 5 BSC schools at 8 - 3 or better, or 6 BSC schools at 7-4 or better, with NAU on a 6 game win streak.  Really hope we can win out.

I think this is why I would be in favor of either Montana or Cal-Poly beating Eastern Washington and allow UND to win the Big Sky auto-bid (provided UND does its part, too).  I don't really want to get lost in the shuffle of a slew of Big Sky teams.  Leave No Doubt, right?  There's absolutely no doubt if you win the league.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, homer said:

I want the autobid.  I'll be cheering for Montana to beat EWU and would like to see them get beat the next week as well by Cal Poly. 

If UND wins out, they are in, regardless of the autobid. Basically with your scenario, UND would be the 4th ranked Big Sky team heading into the playoffs. I don't get the logic.

• Upvote 1