SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

This is going to come off as smack and it's a difficult question to ask this passionate group, but does seeing the lack of Big Sky success in the playoffs do anything to temper the excitement of what I consider to be a successful season for you guys?

I hope that doesn't come across as an a-hole question, I'm sure it has crossed a few of your minds this morning. It would mine if the tables were turned.

BTW, I was actually impressed with PSU last night, it's hard to gauge a game that's played in such crappy conditions though.

• Upvote 1

This is going to come off as smack and it's a difficult question to ask this passionate group, but does seeing the lack of Big Sky success in the playoffs do anything to temper the excitement of what I consider to be a successful season for you guys?

I hope that doesn't come across as an a-hole question, I'm sure it has crossed a few of your minds this morning. It would mine if the tables were turned.

BTW, I was actually impressed with PSU last night, it's hard to gauge a game that's played in such crappy conditions though

It's an honest question,  I'll take a stab at it. No, it does not temper the excitement!  For how far mussman drove this program into the ground, any little success will spike not only the fans but the players perspective on the direction we are going, regardless of opponents.  Bubba is the right hire for this program and has it going. Slowly he is building the foundation to which us older fans remember and to what und needs to be successful moving forward.  Und hasn't had much success in the D1 transition so as Bubbas motto is "day by day"!  Once a program sniffs success it breeds and demands success and my excitement is peeked as bubba is well equipped to do it.   Big sky isn't known for smash mouth,  bubba and barny are the exceptions.  You an add cal poly to that list as well.   Montana perennially is known to have a good defense but like most  big sky teams the offense just chuck it around. That type of offense is for summer play not november and December .  With the youth und has been playing the last two years, they will finally come into a season next year with the experience and known success of a 7-4 season. It been 9 long yrs that und can make that statement.  I'm fully invested for the outlook of this program 

• Upvote 3

It's an honest question,  I'll take a stab at it. No, it does not temper the excitement!  For how far mussman drove this program into the ground, any little success will spike not only the fans but the players perspective on the direction we are going, regardless of opponents.  Bubba is the right hire for this program and has it going. Slowly he is building the foundation to which us older fans remember and to what und needs to be successful moving forward.  Und hasn't had much success in the D1 transition so as Bubbas motto is "day by day"!  Once a program sniffs success it breeds and demands success and my excitement is peeked as bubba is well equipped to do it.   Big sky isn't known for smash mouth,  bubba and barny are the exceptions.  You an add cal poly to that list as well.   Montana perennially is known to have a good defense but like most  big sky teams the offense just chuck it around. That type of offense is for summer play not november and December .  With the youth und has been playing the last two years, they will finally come into a season next year with the experience and known success of a 7-4 season. It been 9 long yrs that und can make that statement.  I'm fully invested for the outlook of this program 

+1000

BTW, I was actually impressed with PSU last night, it's hard to gauge a game that's played in such crappy conditions though.

Nope.  Our roster is extremely young and the team came a long ways this season.  Lots of things to build on this season including getting an FBS win.  We need to continue to bring in quality players to improve the roster and build depth. 

Do you consider 7-4 two years after losing nearly half the roster a bad season? 

Edited by homer

No, if we had a team that had stayed healthy and hadn't evolved throughout the year and hadn't been piss pounding teams down the stretch after we got our qb back then my enthusiasm for how this season went would be tempered. Given how our season went and the expectations and questions going in I'd say, even with the 3 losses in a row without our qb, it was a success. We blew past expectations. I'm a little bitter about the ISU and WSU games but those are the types that we will win in the future with improved depth and experience. I also only care about how Fluff teams do in the playoffs because it factors into our ability to get at large bids. Unlike most Fluff teams we are built for the playoffs and can play in any weather. I also think that, thanks to the NDSU game, we are now ready for any atmosphere. 

I am not overly concerned cause UND is building a program like a successful MVC team.  Once our offense got going we were well rounded other than the pass defense on occasion.  Portland St. could stop the pass better than the run, they had a good team to play in the Big Sky, but UND took it to them, not surprised UNI did, too.  I think UND with their run D would have been a tougher matchup for UNI.

• Upvote 3

I am not overly concerned cause UND is building a program like a successful MVC team.  Once our offense got going we were well rounded other than the pass defense on occasion.  Portland St. could stop the pass better than the run, they had a good team to play in the Big Sky, but UND took it to them, not surprised UNI did, too.  I think UND with their run D would have been a tougher matchup for UNI.

Absolutely. Even thought the score was close because of a terrible call and a hit to the head the cause a fumble in our own redone we absolutely dominated them. Their scoring drives we like 2 and 12 yards because of the two TOs.

Yes. When none of the Big Sky teams can win in the first round it is concerning. When you hammer us with Studsrud and Reyes in the game, and then you hammer a Montana team that we couldn't compete with regardless of who are QB was, it does temper the enthusiasm.  On the other hand, the program is headed in the right direction.  We need to develop our ability to beat one on one coverage and improve our passing game to win consistently in the playoffs.  We are still young. We need to upgrade a bit with off season strengthening and improve our depth but if we aren't in the playoffs next year it will be a big disappointment.  We struggled against teams that could run and throw especially those that gave their QB time to pick apart our secondary.  Our run game is solid and if given time Studsrud is good enough to make the throws to move the chains. Need big upgrade in passing game and our secondary and then we will be ready to play you guys or anyone else in the FCS.

Yes. When none of the Big Sky teams can win in the first round it is concerning. When you hammer us with Studsrud and Reyes in the game, and then you hammer a Montana team that we couldn't compete with regardless of who are QB was, it does temper the enthusiasm.  On the other hand, the program is headed in the right direction.  We need to develop our ability to beat one on one coverage and improve our passing game to win consistently in the playoffs.  We are still young. We need to upgrade a bit with off season strengthening and improve our depth but if we aren't in the playoffs next year it will be a big disappointment.  We struggled against teams that could run and throw especially those that gave their QB time to pick apart our secondary.  Our run game is solid and if given time Studsrud is good enough to make the throws to move the chains. Need big upgrade in passing game and our secondary and then we will be ready to play you guys or anyone else in the FCS.

Gonna go ahead and disagree with you about the Montana game. We are competitive against them with Studsrud at QB.

• Upvote 1

Gonna go ahead and disagree with you about the Montana game. We are competitive against them with Studsrud at QB.

I agree.  Had Studsrud played in Montana game we score a TD instead settle foe a FG.  Also Montana scored  two TD in less than 3 mins before the half because of 3 and outs.  I doubt that would have happened with Studsrud.  that would have made the score 28-24 Montana.  big difference with Studsrud.

Montana won a first round game against SDSU.  Yesterday was 2nd round games.

Edited by SiouxVolley
  • Upvote 1

So are you wanting to say that as UND fans we shouldn't be happy about a 7-4 record, a FBC win and wins over 2 ranked opponents the end of a 2 year rebuilding program? Nope not feeling that way at all ...sorry. Perhaps you should go ask the Jackrabbit fans how they are feeling about their season since they lost to a Big Sky school? 

So are you wanting to say that as UND fans we shouldn't be happy about a 7-4 record, a FBC win and wins over 2 ranked opponents the end of a 2 year rebuilding program? Nope not feeling that way at all ...sorry. Perhaps you should go ask the Jackrabbit fans how they are feeling about their season since they lost to a Big Sky school? 

I'm not saying anything, I'm merely asking a question that many people are asking today. Is the Big Sky style of play built to win in the playoffs? I believe UND is headed in the right direction under Schweigert, but given some of those "big wins" turned out to be against teams that may not have been as good as they looked at the time(I think that's a fair statement) does that do anything to temper the excitement of going 7-4?

It wasn't meant as a knock in any way. If NDSU was in the same situation and beat let's say a 9-2 UNI team, and then UNI lays an egg in the playoffs, I would wonder how good of a win that UNI win really was. I'm guessing many UND fans may be saying the same about the PSU win at this point.

Like I said, I think you are all correct in your optimism about the direction of the program, just wondering if that optimism is hedged a bit given the outcome of the Big Sky teams in the playoffs. The vast majority seem to say it doesn't, great, it's just a discussion starter.

UND beat Portland State.

and UNI beat Portland State.

.....all three teams are good football teams.

Thats all you need to know.

Actually, that isn't all that is needed to be known. Of course all three are good, but this is sports, there are winners and there are losers. There are varying degrees of "good" and that is what's being discussed here.