SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

Are the Ducks going to the Big Sky well once again for a QB? 

#Oregon is Hosting An #FCS QB Transfer For a Visit - Who & What & More ($) http://oregon.247sports.com/Board/45/Contents/Another-FCS-QB-Transfer-Ducks-Find-New-Assistant-Coach-41856879  #GoDucks pic.twitter.com/dNceKX25Zz

Embedded image permalink

Oh my.  Adams wasn't bad for them this year when he was healthy.  He was much better by years end.  

Regarding Griz cuts...

CB Chris Parker is from Sioux Falls. Somewhat local kid, Big Sky experience. If he is an legit FCS level talent, would he be a possible fit at UND? 

Shaun Rainey @ShaunRainey 1h1 hour ago

Griz CB Parker was let go not because of ability but because apparently it wasn't a good fit chemistry wise #GrizFB

Is "chemistry" referring to not being a good team member? Or not being a fit scheme wise?

DeBoer interviewing for USD job.  No surprise there. 

Nielson is too... the plot thickens

Seems odd but given that he is the reigning MVFC coach of the year, he should be the front runner. Can't imagine the friction that it will cause if he doesn't get it though.

• Upvote 3

Very odd but I guess when you are the reigning MVFC coach of the year, you have your pick of jobs.

:lol:

Is there a bigger snake than Nielsen?  Guy gives me the willys.  Total used car salesman/corrupt politician.  Makes me shudder.  Doesnt like what he's seen in Macomb apparently.

Slick and greasy.

Edited by UNDvince97-01

I heard the rumor about a week ago that Nielsen was looking to get out because behind the scenes WIU is seriously considering a move down to Division II due to finances.

Move down? Means a spot in the MVFC/SL would open up. I think we have a little more to talk about if this rumor really takes off.

Gotta wonder if Nielson isn't just using USD to get a pay bump from WIU.

Honestly I would think USD would easily be an upgrade over WIU.  Maybe not financially, but just the fact that USD is flagship school in its state.  How far down on the totem pole in Illinois is WIU?  Northwestern, Illinois, Northern Illinois, Southern Illinois are all above the Leathernecks in the hierarchy. 

I am also hearing that the PFL is being looked at as a possibility. Something has to be up at WIU for Nielson to leave. He wanted to get back to that area of the country because he and his wife had family there. He nearly left his AD/ football coach position at UMD to take the AD position at Upper Iowa (huge step down obviously) before his football team won the first national title. Going to USD makes no sense unless he knows that there is no future at WIU.

Honestly I would think USD would easily be an upgrade over WIU.  Maybe not financially, but just the fact that USD is flagship school in its state.  How far down on the totem pole in Illinois is WIU?  Northwestern, Illinois, Northern Illinois, Southern Illinois are all above the Leathernecks in the hierarchy. 

I wouldn't agree with USD being a better job. WIU has been to the FCS playoffs ten times and is in a pretty good location from a recruiting standpoint. 

Would think the OVC might be interested too.  WIU gets greater support than E Ill, and E Ill left the Slummit a decade or more ago.  The OVC might want to cut football schollies if EKU and Jacksonville St can latch on to FBS, as those are really the only football aspiration schools left in the Ohio V.

The whole Illinois state government system is cash strapped, as Chicago and union corruption and outrageous state pensions has sucked it deep into the red, so that's another part of the equation.

Most of the directional Illinois U's have lost 20% of their enrollment in the past 10 years, putting additiona, financial stress on those schools.  Illinois, Ill St, and SIUE have escaped the enrollment slump, but W, E, S, N, and NE are hurting.

Nielson seems to do a lot with minimum $'s.

Edited by SiouxVolley

Also a sign that USD is on the rise.

Not so fast my friend...

Still very likely that he ends up at USD, or is it a negotiating tactic to get more pay/resources at WIU??? We'll see... 

South Dakota: Sources tell FootballScoop that Western Illinois head coach Bob Nielson acknowledged the offer to become South Dakota’s head coach to his players at a 6pm meeting tonight but told them he has not accepted that offer at this time