SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

I really don't like NDSU football but I find it hard to talk much smack considering their recent success.  They might be down a little this year compared to the last few but that was a pretty high bar.  

I will definitely be ready to jump on when we catch up and pass them, and I believe we will, but can't do it now just because they have 2 losses this year.

Edited by Siouxperman8
  • Upvote 2

The proverbial NDSU mantra, back-up is better anyway.  Wentz, while riding the pine was better than Jenson, Stick better than Wentz,  high schooler to be named later better than Stick.........

To be fair, Carson has shown in my mind that he IS a better QB than Brock was. So maybe Easton will be even better than Carson. He doesn't have the measurables that Carson has so likely won't get the NFL attention, but may be better, we'll see.

Edited by Bison06

I really don't like NDSU football but I find it hard to talk much smack considering their recent success.  They might be down a little this year compared to the last few but that was a pretty high bar.  

I will definitely be ready to jump on when we catch up and pass them, and I believe we will, but can't do it now just because they have 2 losses this year.

So we have to kiss their keisters? Sorry, I won't be doing that. Until Bison fans give us credit for our 7 NCAA hockey titles, I will not be brown-nosing them for "their recent success". This is a rivalry and that is how it is supposed to work. They should just go back to Bisonville if they want their egos stroked; this is siouxsports.com.

So we have to kiss their keisters? Sorry, I won't be doing that. Until Bison fans give us credit for our 7 NCAA hockey titles, I will not be brown-nosing them for "their recent success". This is a rivalry and that is how it is supposed to work. They should just go back to Bisonville if they want their egos stroked; this is siouxsports.com.

not kissing anyone's keister.  Sometimes it is best to keep your mouth closed rather than come up with weak arguments that make you look silly.  

• Upvote 1

I would want no part of NDSU. If they make the playoffs and Wentz  is healed, they have the talent to beat any team in the FCS. They are also still the defending national champions the last time I checked.

Just for the record , your 2010 playoff analogy is literally the dumbest thing I have seen in my life. 

I'm not sure where NDSU fans think all this talent is?  Granted, the 2013 NDSU team is easily top 3 if not best of all time in FCS/IAA.  But what is there now?

DL took a big hit from last year.  LB took a huge hit from last year (though the MLB is top-notch; depth is not what it was).  Safeties dropped off huge.  Biggest loss of all, though, was Crockett. 

Prior NDSU teams not only had great starters, but the backups would start on most teams.  This NDSU team, built around running and defense, has neither running nor defense and is trying to path it up by having a stud QB (possibly best ever at NDSU), throw to receivers that aren't good for this level (except Sheppard but he's young/slightly injured).

I don't see the "talent," and I'm one of the most objectionable fans you'll find. 

not kissing anyone's keister.  Sometimes it is best to keep your mouth closed rather than come up with weak arguments that make you look silly.  

So we don't have a rivalry until our FB program gets back on its feet? So it's okay for Bison trolls to come over here and rub it in our faces? Honestly, our fan base has gone so soft and passive over the past 10 years or so. Back in the 1980's and 90's, most of our fans wouldn't take any crap from anybody, regardless of the won-loss records at the time. We need to get back to that; I am sick and tired of playing second-fiddle to NDSU.

No offense but til UND gets back to being a top team you will continue being 2nd fiddle.

I wasn't just talking about on-field performance, I am talking about being bold, visionary, optimistic and positive about what an institution can accomplish if everyone applies themselves to achieving excellence in everything across the board. NDSU has been doing that, UND has not. Good leadership leads to good teams and wins. The leadership has to come first or the other stuff won't happen. I am praying hard for a UND President that understands that.

I'm not sure where NDSU fans think all this talent is?  Granted, the 2013 NDSU team is easily top 3 if not best of all time in FCS/IAA.  But what is there now?

DL took a big hit from last year.  LB took a huge hit from last year (though the MLB is top-notch; depth is not what it was).  Safeties dropped off huge.  Biggest loss of all, though, was Crockett. 

Prior NDSU teams not only had great starters, but the backups would start on most teams.  This NDSU team, built around running and defense, has neither running nor defense and is trying to path it up by having a stud QB (possibly best ever at NDSU), throw to receivers that aren't good for this level (except Sheppard but he's young/slightly injured).

I don't see the "talent," and I'm one of the most objectionable fans you'll find. 

Because there have been points during this year where they have played like the best team in the country. I watched that team dominate SDSU. 

Just just because you have a talent drop off doesn't mean you still aren't very good. The 2010 team had some great regular season games and some real head scratchers. I kept telling everyone to watch out because they had talent. Had it not been for some horrendous refs, they might have won it all and went on to be the greatest dynasty ever in FCS.

How could any Bison fan say they had a talent drop off?  All we have heard from your media voices, verbatim, is how they get pretty much any player they want now. End quote.  They said it on the radio last week when talking about Joe Glenn's comments on their recruiting.  Your fans claim every February that your recruiting class is the best ever and you killed SDSU, UND, USD, UNI and everyone else for all upper midwest talent.  

Losing a QB should not move the needle at all if you got all this high-end talent on the roster.  Something isn't adding up.  

• Upvote 1

How could any Bison fan say they had a talent drop off?  All we have heard from your media voices, verbatim, is how they get pretty much any player they want now. End quote.  They said it on the radio last week when talking about Joe Glenn's comments on their recruiting.  Your fans claim every February that your recruiting class is the best ever and you killed SDSU, UND, USD, UNI and everyone else for all upper midwest talent.  

Losing a QB should not move the needle at all if you got all this high-end talent on the roster.  Something isn't adding up.  

Some of their fans have even gone as far as to suggest that some lower-level FBS schools have to fight to keep their recruits from going to NDSU instead. :silly:

Because there have been points during this year where they have played like the best team in the country. I watched that team dominate SDSU. 

Just just because you have a talent drop off doesn't mean you still aren't very good. The 2010 team had some great regular season games and some real head scratchers. I kept telling everyone to watch out because they had talent. Had it not been for some horrendous refs, they might have won it all and went on to be the greatest dynasty ever in FCS.

Maybe if your team was so good they would have not put themselves in that position and blown out the Eagles. 

I don't think you get my point. I don't care if he goes down with a season ending injury or wins another national championship; either way he is overrated at the NFL level. not cheering at all about his injury

If anything I would argue that Carson is underrated for the next level.  He has had virtually no TE/WR to throw to the last two years in an offense that prides itself on running the ball. 

He has all the physical attributes you could ask for in a QB (size/speed/athleticism).  Given 2-3 years to develop, I think he's a Joe Flacco-like QB, if not better. 

I wasn't just talking about on-field performance, I am talking about being bold, visionary, optimistic and positive about what an institution can accomplish if everyone applies themselves to achieving excellence in everything across the board. NDSU has been doing that, UND has not. Good leadership leads to good teams and wins. The leadership has to come first or the other stuff won't happen. I am praying hard for a UND President that understands that.

What about the guy at Mayville St? 

• Upvote 1

Easier than beating a field of 60 teams for a title?

This is absolutely one of the dumbest arguments out there if one sits down and analyzes it.

The talent that UND faces in hockey is concentrated, and not spread out amongst more teams at the same level and first picked through by teams in a higher level.

While teams like SCSU are DII and have to compete with hundreds of teams either at their level or much, much better for football, they are after some of the best hockey players in the nation. 

Hockey doesn't have near the drop-off in talent from the top dogs to the lower teams like football because even the lower teams get some of the best talent in the nation.

Also, simply using name-recognition as the standard means nothing.  It would be like making fun of NDSU for losing to Gonzaga in basketball.  Clearly Gonzaga has a great basketball program, even if their name isn't known in other sports. 

• Upvote 1

If anything I would argue that Carson is underrated for the next level.  He has had virtually no TE/WR to throw to the last two years in an offense that prides itself on running the ball. 

He has all the physical attributes you could ask for in a QB (size/speed/athleticism).  Given 2-3 years to develop, I think he's a Joe Flacco-like QB, if not better. 

Carson doesn't have the God given gift to throw the ball like Flacco. Strong arm for sure but his mechanics still need to tighten up. He is a way better athlete than Flacco though.

• Upvote 1

Carson doesn't have the God given gift to throw the ball like Flacco. Strong arm for sure but his mechanics still need to tighten up. He is a way better athlete than Flacco though.

I don't know that effortless 60-65 yard throw in the air against USD by Wentz was impressive.  I don't think SU's offense allows him to show all of his attributes. 

But either way, Carson is not overrated.  Easy to watch him and be impressed and understand why NFL teams would want him.