SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

that hawk with the headdress logo is too obvious and doesn't really look like a bird, but I think something could be done that resembles more of a hawk's natural look with feathers, that still reminds/resembles the shape and coloring of the old logo without the PCers crying "fowl".

I don't think white guys toting guns on horseback will pass the PC test. 

that hawk with the headdress logo is too obvious and doesn't really look like a bird, but I think something could be done that resembles more of a hawk's natural look with feathers, that still reminds/resembles the shape and coloring of the old logo without the PCers crying "fowl".

which is part of the reason why i'm voting for the white guy....

• Upvote 3

I still can't get over the fact that Red River has that nickname, but it is what it is.

At this point we just need a nickname and a logo, this process has been drawn out for too long. If I can watch a football game and say to myself "the Robert Morris Colonials logo is pretty sweet," I can't help to think that I won't say the same for whatever logo gets drawn up for us. I'm fairly confident on whatever nickname is chosen, I will still be a proud supporter of the University of North Dakota.

• Upvote 1

Quick someone make a Ben Brien Sioux logo turned into a "Roughrider logo" and post it.... It seems people see that logo (the blackhawks turned hawks logo) especially on social media and think "sweet logo dude, sure i'll vote for that. Is that gonna be the new logo man?"

That logo is hideous.

This entire process has been a debacle, but if UND could have made even one small improvement to this final vote (other than including just North Dakota) it would have been to provide some logo ideas for each of the nickname. That could go a long way in swaying or changing a person's vote. 

I was starting to think I was the only person who doesn't like that Blackhawk/Fighting Hawk mockup. But, since I know there's no chance of that actually be the logo, I haven't worried about it too much.

Yeah, haven't been a fan since I saw it. True, it almost definitely would not be the logo, though I wouldn't put it past the school to try to purchase it from the blackhawks (considering there was talk about purchasing the North Star name).

Regardless, I won't be voting for Fighting Hawks. I'll be going for either Nodaks or Roughriders.

Yeah, haven't been a fan since I saw it. True, it almost definitely would not be the logo, though I wouldn't put it past the school to try to purchase it from the blackhawks (considering there was talk about purchasing the North Star name).

The Blackhawks don't own it.  An independent graphic designer/photographer from Canada created it as a concept for fun, owns it and as previously stated has defended outside use of it many times.

http://icethetics.squarespace.com/blog/2010/7/12/a-history-of-logo-larceny.html

That logo is hideous.

This entire process has been a debacle, but if UND could have made even one small improvement to this final vote (other than including just North Dakota) it would have been to provide some logo ideas for each of the nickname. That could go a long way in swaying or changing a person's vote. 

But then people would say that the logo they came up with for their favorite name was less than satisfactory, and that is the reason their name didn't get as many votes.  Either way, people won't be happy.  You can look at the logos that the Herald mocked up, and some of them look pretty lame.  

• Upvote 1

But then people would say that the logo they came up with for their favorite name was less than satisfactory, and that is the reason their name didn't get as many votes.  Either way, people won't be happy.  You can look at the logos that the Herald mocked up, and some of them look pretty lame.  

true

The Blackhawks don't own it.  An independent graphic designer/photographer from Canada created it as a concept for fun, owns it and as previously stated has defended outside use of it many times.

http://icethetics.squarespace.com/blog/2010/7/12/a-history-of-logo-larceny.html

I don't care who owns it, I think its ugly.

• Upvote 1

The Rough Riders were a diverse bunch of men consisting of cowboys, gold or mining prospectors, hunters, gamblers, Native Americans and college boys.

They were not all white guys. ;)

• Upvote 3

The Rough Riders were a diverse bunch of men consisting of cowboys, gold or mining prospectors, hunters, gamblers, Native Americans and college boys.

"But Grand Forks Red River High School uses it, so we can't." :silly:

If people don't like Roughriders as a name, that's fine, but I am sick of hearing the Climax-Fisher Rule being used as the (sometimes) exclusive reason not to vote for it. Judge it purely on its merits as a name (btw, it is unique within the NCAA and that is as close to unique as we are going to get).

• Upvote 2

very true!  My comment was more in regard to what the mascot Would be- which would most likely be white guy teddy Roosevelt since he's the only shirttail relation that group of diverse men from the desert southwest have to North Dakota.  :-)

very true!  My comment was more in regard to what the mascot Would be- which would most likely be white guy teddy Roosevelt since he's the only shirttail relation that group of diverse men from the desert southwest have to North Dakota.  :-)

I wouldn't worry about ending up with Teddy as a logo.  Rough Riders is not on the ballot.  Roughriders is,

Not saying the logo wouldn't end up a white guy though.

I wouldn't worry about ending up with Teddy as a logo.  Rough Riders is not on the ballot.  Roughriders is,

Not saying the logo wouldn't end up a white guy though.

An original Roughrider next to a Nokota horse...

(not sure about the saguaro cactus in the background though. betcha didn't notice that ;))

image.jpeg

Picture is from the Nokota Conservancy.

• Upvote 1

I really think choosing a name without knowing what the logo will be is very difficult.  If the hawk in the feathers was the logo I think Fighting Hawks wins easily (UND BIZ: please tell us one more time that there is no chance).  Think of the Fighting Sioux logos...Blackhawk logo and Ben Brien's logo were awesome while the geometric logo was very lame.  Every nickname can be upgraded with a great logo and can be downgraded with a poor logo.  Who will determine the logo of the winning name?  Will there be another vote on this?  Scary to think of what logo may be chosen by the same pin heads that gave us these 5 finalists for names!

• Upvote 4