SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

Less than 1/3 the number of wresting programs as boys basketball programs in Class B, and a lot of the boys basketball programs are consolidated. Less than 25% of North Dakota Class B high schools have wrestling. That is a lot less than "most".

A lot of B basketball is consolidated, even more wrestling teams are... Even moreso than football I'd guess.

Those towns do a great job supporting it. State tourney is heavy class B fans.

A lot of B basketball is consolidated, even more wrestling teams are... Even moreso than football I'd guess.

Those towns do a great job supporting it. State tourney is heavy class B fans.

He said that most Class B high schools have wrestling. That is obviously wrong. Most means more than 50%. Well under 50% of North Dakota high schools actually offer wrestling.

If we're going to nitpick, I'm actually pretty good at math. I think your complaint is with one specific member's post, not the community.

I'm feeling pedantic because I'm on nickname thread duty, generalizations are kind of weak, and I'm watching this thread closely because I've been warned we must. I will agree that I haven't been disappointed. It has lived up to the hype. No question there's some passion (a word I've used a lot today) here.

Okay then, one SiouxSports poster is bad at math and several others are intellectually lazy because they continue to quote the number without checking to see if it's actually valid.

Better?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nah, what that actually shows is that SiouxSports is bad at math. Or at the very least, guilty of cherry picking to an unbelievable degree. NDSU is actually in the 225-271 range out of 346 in the rankings that actually matter(240/346 is the most accurate).

The numbers are 282 men and 129 women (unduplicated, 2014 numbers). That's 68% male.

In the 2014 numbers, NDSU's ratio, that 68% ratio, is as jdub states: In the ten "most male" by ratio in all of DI.

I have downloaded the data myself and checked it. Would you like the Excel spreadsheet that I downloaded from the Federal website?

Okay then, one SiouxSports poster is bad at math and several others are intellectually lazy because they continue to quote the number without checking to see if it's actually valid.

Better?

Nailed it. Told you I was being pedantic tonight :)

If you want exciting, start looking the UND nickname candidates up on urban dictionary.

That's why I like North Stars....minus the North.

btw.....going to be dropping pedantic the first opportunity I get.....the exciting line was my attempt at cleverness :)

• Upvote 1

The numbers are 282 men and 129 women (unduplicated, 2014 numbers). That's 68% male.

In the 2014 numbers, NDSU's ratio, that 68% ratio, is as jdub states: In the ten "most male" by ratio in all of DI.

I have downloaded the data myself and checked it. Would you like the Excel spreadsheet that I downloaded from the Federal website?

I downloaded the same info a few hours ago myself. I, however, realized that jdub's method was a dumbass way of sorting the data. I sorted the data six other ways that made more sense. Three of those ways(include the two best) put NDSU at 240 (+/- 10). The others fell in the range I mentioned earlier. What jdub did was cherry picking at best, disingenuous at worst, and most likely an example of shallow reasoning.

Can you tell me what two important pieces of data jdub ignores that are crucial for a valid comparison?

I downloaded the same info a few hours ago myself. I, however, realized that jdub's method was a dumbass way of sorting the data. I sorted the data six other ways that made more sense. Three of those ways(include the two best) put NDSU at 240 (+/- 10). The others fell in the range I mentioned earlier. What jdub did was cherry picking at best, disingenuous at worst, and most likely an example of shallow reasoning.Can you tell me what two important pieces of data jdub ignores that are crucial for a valid comparison?

No, but you're probably the champion poster for pedantics.

Can you tell me what two important pieces of data jdub ignores that are crucial for a valid comparison?

The two important pieces of information are 282 men, and 129 women. Those two numbers speak for themselves, and are valid. (And you deny neither as you have the data.)

Do you deny that 68% is one of the ten highest male/female ratios in Division I (347 schools)?

This is where "third prong" compliance conversation comes in. That's fine. This is where one could say you should compare the M/W athlete ratio to the general campus M/W ratio. That's fine also. But 68% remains 68% thoughout those other conversations.

Ask your mother, your sister, your daughter, your wife, your girlfriend, your aunt, your neice, if 68% sounds like "equity" to them.

Thank you. And you sling poo* better than anyone I've ever met. I guess we all have our talents.*you know, throw enough against a wall and something eventually sticks

Funny how that poo becomes THE topic of concern at your main abode/commode: bisonvile, which is non stop bickering, bravado, and poo throwing which never sticks but smears everyone and everything.

The two important pieces of information are 282 men, and 129 women. Those two numbers speak for themselves, and are valid. (And you deny neither as you have the data.)

Do you deny that 68% is one of the ten highest male/female ratios in Division I (347 schools)?

This is where "third prong" compliance conversation comes in. That's fine. This is where one could say you should compare the M/W athlete ratio to the general campus M/W ratio. That's fine also. But 68% remains 68% thoughout those other conversations.

Ask your mother, your sister, your daughter, your wife, your girlfriend, your aunt, your neice, if 68% sounds like "equity" to them.

If you ask any of the women in my family, they'll just ask how cute the uniforms are.

Considering we are within NCAA compliance Its only important and a big deal if you want to make it a big deal.

Considering we are within NCAA compliance Its only important and a big deal if you want to make it a big deal.

Or if the Dept of Education sees it as a violation of federal law. U of Minn just got called on the carpet by the Civil Rights Div of that same Education department for a lot less discrepancy.

Btw, the NCAA does not have any enforcement of Title IX, only requires a certain number of women's sports for DI. But to Bison fans, NCAA compliance is critical so no probation happens. Federal compliance is a waste of money and not a big deal.

I believe he is referring to the 2013 season.. Ending with the'14 championship against Towson. It gets confusing when they play in the game every year.

Yes I was referring to the 2013 season's championship played against Towson. The Sam Houston State games had about 17,000 NDSU fans, similar to last year.

In any case, all I was trying to say was that it would be a rediculous notion to share revenue when I guarantee you the majority of that revenue would be generated by NDSU fans. There was a reason why GT drafted the 2015/2019 contract the way he did. NDSU had a good system in place of playing 1 FBS team, 6 home games, and having two bye weeks. It was a good formula for success. He wasn't going to F that up by giving UND a lifeboat to get fans through the gates of the Areola Center.

I suggest UND make a serious attempt to join the Missouri Valley. If they did, I would then maybe support an annual game in the Vikings Stadium. I don't see though how it would benefit NDSU financially. We already sell out a 19k stadium every home game and the rent on the place is $1. Even if you were able to sell out a 60k Vikings Stadium and split revenue, I think it would be a wash with not getting concession revenue and paying rent.

Or if the Dept of Education sees it as a violation of federal law. U of Minn just got called on the carpet by the Civil Rights Div of that same Education department for a lot less discrepancy.

Btw, the NCAA does not have any enforcement of Title IX, only requires a certain number of women's sports for DI. But to Bison fans, NCAA compliance is critical so no probation happens. Federal compliance is a waste of money and not a big deal.

If the fed or the ncaa think there is an issue then it will be corrected. Until that time its much ado about nothing.

Considering we are within NCAA compliance Its only important and a big deal if you want to make it a big deal.

I'm sure they are being compliant. 

However, it is a big deal.  It shows a problem that exists at FU. 

So how exactly does NDSU, who is in compliance with Title 9, and their support of women's sports have anything to do with the 2015 game to be played between NDSU and UND?

You guys spin !@#$ and make distractions away from football anyway you can.

How many posts did you just spend making up a bunch of "facts" and talking about a hypothetical game in MSP?  What does that have to do with the 2015 game?