SiouxSports.com Forum

Biggest drawback for each remaining name (final 15)

jimdahl

Legitimate concern.  This could get Deadspinned.  

It seems as if nobody has ever addressed the final conclusion, which is the most important.  Does Bob K. simply choose whatever got the most votes or is the popular voting (if that's the way we vote) just a piece of information for him to make a final decision?

This is actually very important and hasn't been addressed to my knowledge.  Anybody know the details?

It seems as if nobody has ever addressed the final conclusion, which is the most important.  Does Bob K. simply choose whatever got the most votes or is the popular voting (if that's the way we vote) just a piece of information for him to make a final decision?

This is actually very important and hasn't been addressed to my knowledge.  Anybody know the details?

http://www.valleynewslive.com/home/headlines/UND-Gets-Closer-to-Nickname-Decision-291855311.html

Robert Kelley, UND President: “I would like to weed this down to 3 and then work with the committee, personally to see which of those 3 in that final collective judgement would be best for the University.”

Actually, someone on here said that the whole "process" is pure window dressing and that UND was negotiating for the legal rights to the North Stars name and logo.  I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I think North Stars is far and away the best nickname on the list but I have to admit as a former die hard Stars fan I would be very annoyed.  

• Upvote 1

Incredibly sad. Apparently the committee only represents itself and its opinions. Supposed to represent the school and those with a vested interest in the school (ticketholders, students, alumni), oddly those opinions don't seem to be reflected through public statements like his.

Its almost as though the committee is saying "We need to make it appear as though we care what people think, but actually we already have an agenda in place"

Hope this get done the right way.

Just curious, how do you know that they aren't representing opinions they have heard?  I've talked with one of the committee members and gave my input and I know I'm not the only one.  Just because they aren't representing your specific opinion doesn't mean they haven't taken input into their comments or decisions.  They are also privy to a lot more information than the general public sees through whatever snippets WDAZ or the GF Herald decides to show, including recommendations and information from the marketing firm (who I'm not a huge fan of myself, but that's a different point).  KG's comment was a five second snippet of a how many hour meeting?  It doesn't mean he didn't speak positively or negatively that or any other nickname, that was just what was presented by the media.

In the end, I'm guessing pretty much every single member of the committee knew they were signing up for a thankless job in a no-win situation and accepted the role anyway because they wanted to do the best they could to help out a University they care very much for and about.

• Upvote 1

I think North Stars is far and away the best nickname on the list but I have to admit as a former die hard Stars fan I would be very annoyed.  

You, as a Minnesotan, would love that. You'd be calling us "Minnesota wannabes". 

Minnesota can keeps its state motto and words from its state flag of off North Dakota. 

Oh, so now people think we should let the vote decide and IF 'No Nickname' is picked, we should then see what the NCAA thinks.  If they don't like it, then we should pick the second choice.  

That is some sound thinking.   :silly:   This is getting more stupid by the day.  Please end the misery.

Buck up buttercup - if this is really causing you misery, you must have it pretty good, because you clearly must not have anything else to complain about.  All the angst about this process, what the NCAA might do, what the PC zealots say and think of us is completely overwrought IMHO.

Just curious, how do you know that they aren't representing opinions they have heard?  I've talked with one of the committee members and gave my input and I know I'm not the only one.  Just because they aren't representing your specific opinion doesn't mean they haven't taken input into their comments or decisions.  They are also privy to a lot more information than the general public sees through whatever snippets WDAZ or the GF Herald decides to show, including recommendations and information from the marketing firm (who I'm not a huge fan of myself, but that's a different point).  KG's comment was a five second snippet of a how many hour meeting?  It doesn't mean he didn't speak positively or negatively that or any other nickname, that was just what was presented by the media.

In the end, I'm guessing pretty much every single member of the committee knew they were signing up for a thankless job in a no-win situation and accepted the role anyway because they wanted to do the best they could to help out a University they care very much for and about.

My irritation with the committee has nothing to do with whether they do or do not like my personal choices. When you give any legitimate consideration to Bison Slayers, or some of the other names that made the initial cut, it casts doubt on how serious you are taking the job. 

A handfull of people may think that is funny or clever, but as a committe that is supposed to be doing what is best for the University, you need to look beyond a handfull of people.

If only a handfull of people supported the use of "North Dakota/No Nickname", I think the same approach would apply. However, many support that option, and do think it is in the best interest of the University (whether that is right or wrong is a who different argument).

So, my opinion of the committee is really based on what I have seen them do and not do, not on if they pick my favorite choice. I know I am not the only one to express concerns on this either.

My problem with Roughriders or RoughRiders or Rough Riders is the same problem I have with "hawk" names. Miami is the Redhawks but UMass-Lowell is the River Hawks (two words). It's very confusing...

Plus there's the branding issue of Rough Riders and Lady Roughriders. It's the reason Syracuse went from "Orangemen" and "Orangewomen" to simply "Orange."

That's what they get for picking something stupid like the Orangemen in the first place.

So, I do think North Stars is a cool name but like others have a big problem with it because it's the nickname of the state to the east.  That said, what if it was slightly modified to the "Nordic Stars"?

I believe at some point the nickname committee said they withheld the right to slightly modify a proposed nickname in order to meet the guidelines or the goals of the process.....

(I suppose that will be considered NOT inclusive, so maybe a bad idea)

Buck up buttercup - if this is really causing you misery, you must have it pretty good, because you clearly must not have anything else to complain about. All the angst about this process, what the NCAA might do, what the PC zealots say and think of us is completely overwrought IMHO.

Well said ^^^

That's what they get for picking something stupid like the Orangemen in the first place.

So, I do think North Stars is a cool name but like others have a big problem with it because it's the nickname of the state to the east.  That said, what if it was slightly modified to the "Nordic Stars"?

I believe at some point the nickname committee said they withheld the right to slightly modify a proposed nickname in order to meet the guidelines or the goals of the process.....

Not bad.

Ice, blizzard, clippers, sugar kings, harvesters, Mulies (or something related to deer or mule deer).

I can't believe some of the names we're left with. I know the nicknames I just referenced aren't that good but it took me 30 seconds to think of.

So, I do think North Stars is a cool name but like others have a big problem with it because it's the nickname of the state to the east. That said, what if it was slightly modified to the "Nordic Stars"?

Nordic stars...you see what I mean. This shouldn't be that hard.

I like that one.

Agreed, I wouldn't want to be. I think you've sat on this thread to long, you seem a tad aggressive.

Thanks makes two of us... It's the offseason.

I'd use passive aggressive.

Blizzard and ice is basically equal or worse than sundogs, thunderhawks, force.

You, as a Minnesotan, would love that. You'd be calling us "Minnesota wannabes".

Minnesota can keeps its state motto and words from its state flag of off North Dakota.

Bingo. Can't believe it even made the top 15. Again keep it North Dakota.