SiouxSports.com Forum

Biggest drawback for each remaining name (final 15)

jimdahl

If we are already forecasting that there may be issues with the NCAA because they are a fickle bunch why would we even waste our time?  Why not get it done with once and for all the first time?

Rough Riders it is!!  One word or two?  Let's put it to a vote.  :silly:

My problem with Roughriders or RoughRiders or Rough Riders is the same problem I have with "hawk" names. Miami is the Redhawks but UMass-Lowell is the River Hawks (two words). It's very confusing...

Plus there's the branding issue of Rough Riders and Lady Roughriders. It's the reason Syracuse went from "Orangemen" and "Orangewomen" to simply "Orange."

My problem with Roughriders/RoughRiders/Rough Riders is the same problem I have with "hawk" names. Miami is the Redhawks but UMass-Lowell is the River Hawks (two words). It's very confusing...

Plus there's the branding issue of Rough Riders and Lady Roughriders. It's the reason Syracuse went from "Orangemen" and "Orangewomen" to simply "Orange."

They will say Riders - Lady Riders when referring to them on the radio, etc.  Riders isn't a gender like orangeMEN.  

Instead of stupid comment, why not answer the question?  At this point of this marathon process is it really worth making it last longer for no reason.

I don't have the answer.  Does <no nickname> keep UND in the clear?  Do you?  

This is where people jump in and say ...

We'd be the University of North Dakota  < no nickname here > . 

And any objectively thinking person can see the meddling, power-mongering, crush anyone who dare challenge us NCAA response to that will be: 

Once they deem us culpable, they'll put us back on the sanctions list gleefully. 

That's the reality. 

But according to some people here, that would be "a small price to pay". :silly:

• Downvote 1

If this is true, I've lost ALL respect for him.

And he's the chairman. So what he says had a lot of weight.

""I kind of like the 'Spirit,' as kind of the spirit of North Dakota," Committee Chairman and UND alumnus Karl Goehring said. "It just sticks out a little bit to me."

Herald articles have people stating they like intangibles, north stars, and schweigert liking hawks.

Oddly silent on the peoples choice of Roughriders.

Actually, someone on here said that the whole "process" is pure window dressing and that UND was negotiating for the legal rights to the North Stars name and logo. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Quote:

"North Stars," one she did move forward, was chosen because it had been submitted multiple times with accompanying comments Friesz saw as passionate.

"A beacon of stability and consistency; symbol of the north and of success," one anonymous submitter wrote. "It's a prominent point that guides people toward their goals," wrote another.

But the hockey faithful told us that having Karl on the committee will be awesome! A true hockey/Sioux guy.

I get the feeling that committee members were interviewed beforehand and quizzed on their open-mindedness and abstract vision regarding this process...Karl was a Trojan horse put on there to appease the loud hockey voices.

“Roughriders,” a name the committee has yet to get to, was put on the list of considered names because the consultants at Padilla CRT, the firm O’Keefe is working with, thought it would be more easily trademarked than “Rough Riders,” which was on the list of names that aren’t options.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3739433-und-nickname-committee-starts-cutting-names

I agree with 83 and cratter that Roughriders is gender neutral and people will say riders a lot like when we were the Fighting Sioux and people just said Sioux.

Rider Nation

Roughrider Country

Let's go Riders

Roll riders

Roll ride roll

Roll damn ride

Rider pride

I'm sure there is more creative stuff people would say and cheer but you get the idea.

I agree with 83 and cratter that Roughriders is gender neutral and people will say riders a lot like when we were the Fighting Sioux and people just said Sioux.

Rider Nation

Roughrider Country

Let's go Riders

Roll riders

Roll ride roll

Roll damn ride

Rider pride

I'm sure there is more creative stuff people would say and cheer but you get the idea.

We ride.

Ride on. 

Saddle up. 

Rider Nation

Roughrider Country

Let's go Riders

Roll riders

Roll ride roll

Roll damn ride

Rider pride

Ride Em Rough!!

And he's the chairman. So what he says had a lot of weight.

""I kind of like the 'Spirit,' as kind of the spirit of North Dakota," Committee Chairman and UND alumnus Karl Goehring said. "It just sticks out a little bit to me."

Herald articles have people stating they like intangibles, north stars, and schweigert liking hawks.

Oddly silent on the peoples choice of Roughriders.

Incredibly sad. Apparently the committee only represents itself and its opinions. Supposed to represent the school and those with a vested interest in the school (ticketholders, students, alumni), oddly those opinions don't seem to be reflected through public statements like his.

Its almost as though the committee is saying "We need to make it appear as though we care what people think, but actually we already have an agenda in place"

Hope this get done the right way.

Incredibly sad. Apparently the committee only represents itself and its opinions. Supposed to represent the school and those with a vested interest in the school (ticketholders, students, alumni), oddly those opinions don't seem to be reflected through public statements like his.

Its almost as though the committee is saying "We need to make it appear as though we care what people think, but actually we already have an agenda in place"

Hope this get done the right way.

Like how the intangibles (Pride, Spirit, Force) don't even meet the committees own criteria:

The committee decided the school's name needs to be unique, promote pride and fierceness, embody the state and region and unify people.

Except for being unique. And there's a reason they are unique... NO ONE WANTS THEM!

• Upvote 1

Maybe we all should wait until the final 2-3 come out before we pass any more judgement on the committee. It's a tough spot to be in. If the final three names are spirit Sundogs blaze something will not pass the smell test, but until then we should wait and see.

I think at this point everyone can agree it's pretty obvious the committee should have North Dakota and Roughriders in the final vote. If not I think they would have to really explain that because based on polls they are far and away the top choices. Beyond that if they have something like cavalry explorers north stars as the 3rd option I would say they did their job and listened to the people. Maybe they just say 2 names North Dakota and Roughriders to vote. We'll find out eventually.

Next question;  Once the last 3 are chosen, is it a popular vote via the internet to pick the name?  And if so, are they really going to choose whatever name gets the most votes?  

Legitimate concern.  This could get Deadspinned.