SiouxSports.com Forum

Biggest drawback for each remaining name (final 15)

jimdahl

Ok, i'll give the negatives idea a try....

Blaze-                UND Blaze?  Blaze of what?  what is a blaze?  just dumb...

Cavalry            -     no negatives here- there were Cavalry in ND, so it is historically relevant. 

Explorers         -  not a bad choice given the crappy list- but not real catchy.  Explorers Yeah Yeah!  Yeah Explorers Explorers!   ????

Fighting Green-  not a thing is it's biggest negative.  can't believe it made the list

Fighting Hawks- not the worst since there's so few good ones.  But i'm not a fan of all these dumb Big Bird type mascots.

Force                -what is this, Star Wars?

Green Hawks   - again not a fan of Big Bird mascots

Nodaks            - nothing wrong with this choice.  it's been used before.

North Dakota  - Perfect.  As the saying goes, if you can't say something that isn't lame, don't say anything at all.

North Stars     - Maybe we could hire Oliver North to be the P.A. announcer while we're at it.

Pride               - When's the parade?

Roughriders   - not historically accurate as T.R.'s Roughriders were not from ND.  But historical significance left this exercise 63 names ago. So not the worst

Spirit              - brought to you by Happy Harry's

Sundogs         -the mamby pamby rainbow connotation does not evoke any sense of power or competitiveness.

Thunderhawks-  How many Ornithologists are on this committee anyway?

Lets go Expos?

Guy next to me at work (from norther MN) knew of Red River and that they were the Rough Riders.  To say someone from Bismarck (that pays attention to sports) does not know RR is the rough riders is a stretch.

I don't think it is a stretch at all. Why would anyone that follows a WDA school know an EDC school's name? They rarely or never compete against each other head to head. And then there is all of the class B fans who have even less of a reason to know what Red River's name is. Where I'm from the average person that follows sports would know the nickname of Hazen, Killdeer, Watford, Dickinson Trinity, etc but not Red River or Devils Lake or Whapeton. However, everyone knows NDSU is the Bison and UND was the Sioux. 

Blaze - Terrible, this isn't even a thing.

Cavalry - Could be worse, but as mentioned people will mispronounce and misspell it

Explorers - Already used, and what would our logo be? Lewis and Clark in a canoe? Very intimidating ... No thanks!

Fighting Green - This isn't a thing ... No

Fighting Hawks - A terrible attempt to hold on to "Fighting"

Force - It was a terrible name when Fargo used it, it would be a terrible name for us. What the logo? Force isn't a thing ... put it is a bag with spirit, Pride, Blaze and throw it away.

Green Hawks - Not a real thing, sad attempt to incorporate Green into the name.

Nodaks - Could be worse, essentially the same as just keep North Dakota, but with the use of an official name.

North Dakota - Best option of the bunch. It has been working for us, and there is really no better option on this list.

North Stars - MN former pro hockey team. You want more ridicule, steal their name. North Dakota is not the North Star state. This does not make sense.

Pride - If this this is referencing the gay pride movement, then NO. If this is reference the term associated with Lions, then NO.

Roughriders - Local HS name, who cares ... probably in my top 3 on this list (which doesn't say much, this list is terrible)

Spirit - Did someone really think this was a good idea? We've got Spirit! Yes we do! We've got Spirit! Shoot us now!

Sundogs - Nothing will intimidate the opposition like light interacting with ice crystal. Can't believe this is a "top 15" name

Thunderhawks - Why do we keep trying to use Hawks? Is Grand Forks now a hub for Ornithology?

Plain and simple North Dakota is the best option on this list, maybe not the the best option altogether (for those of you who think we NEED a new nickname), but it certainly is the best option on this list. Not a big fan of Flickertails, but that would have been better than the majority of this garbage, and the fact that Nokota was scrubbed is pretty pathetic to, considering what the committee put out there.

Also have to express my complete disappointment with the committee. There are some individuals that were on that committee who I was actually pretty happy about. I figured with some of those names, we had a chance to get this process done right. Apparently I was wrong, and certainly have less respect for those people, now that I see what there "hard work" has accomplished.

Co-works and Friends are absolutely having a blast laughing at this list, and the real potential of what our school's nickname could become. It was sad and hard to lose the Fighting Sioux, but it adds insult to injury to move to a name that others will absolutely ridicule.

The only salvation to this abysmal process would be to remain North Dakota!

Perfect post.

The committee should be ashamed of itself. What a waste of time and what a joke.

My question is where is the voice and common sense of the students athletes, past and present, on this committee?...minus Karl as he seems to be all about "intangible" names at this point. Seriously.....they OK with current or future athletes at UND being known as Sundogs? Fighting Green? Green Hawks? Pride?

• Upvote 1

As a Central grad, never referred to them as the Red River Roughriders, but as little Red Riding Hood. Red River will always be Red Riders to me, not Rough Riders. UND will be referred to as the Green Riders for locals.

What? Went to rr and had tons of buddies at central....that's a new one to me.

My question is where is the voice and common sense of the students athletes, past and present, on this committee?...minus Karl as he seems to be all about "intangible" names at this point. Seriously.....they OK with current or future athletes at UND being known as Sundogs? Fighting Green? Green Hawks? Pride?

Getting nervous no one on the committee has said their favorites are everyone else's favorites. Cavalry, Roughriders, Explorers.

So other schools are going to find something nasty to say about our new nickname - what's new? Bi-son, EIEIEIO, Old McDonald had a farm. Hail the bison hail the bison with their tails up in the air....USC Trojans, West Virginia Mountineers - what school doesn't have their nickname made fun of? 

You beat me to it.  We can't keep weeping about what someone might say to hurt our feelings

• Upvote 1

Guy next to me at work (from norther MN) knew of Red River and that they were the Rough Riders.  

So a northern Minnesotan (Section 8?) knew the name of a school that is known for HS hockey in ND. A hockey rich area knew a strong neighboring hockey team's name. Not surprised. But I'll bet you they can't name Fargo North and Wahpeton. 

So a northern Minnesotan (Section 8?) knew the name of a school that is known for HS hockey in ND. A hockey rich area knew a strong neighboring hockey team's name. Not surprised. But I'll bet you they can't name Fargo North and Wahpeton. 

Nope iron range.  Fargo North and Wahpeton were not part of the initial statement :)

<screaming>

99% of the people involved in this process could not care less about GF, GFRR or GFC. Can we please...please...stop bringing that up as it pertains to this process.

<popping a handful of beta blockers>

So not Section 8, but still "hockey rich area". 

Yup.  Go to the initial post.  The OP was saying more likely than not someone in Bismark (that I would assume knows sports) would not know RR's nickname.  I simply doubted that.  My cousins live there, they know RR's nickname.  In all honestly I'm giving up on this debate, Roughriders is silly to me but if that's what the nickname is, so be it.  It doesn't alter my alliance.

<screaming>

99% of the people involved in this process could not care less about GF, GFRR or GFC. Can we please...please...stop bringing that up as it pertains to this process.

<popping a handful of beta blockers>

I strongly doubt that.  Are you talking about the people on the forum or the people that really matter...the one's back home calling the shots, the people on the committee?  I have heard first hand there were concerns with RR already having that nickname.

I strongly doubt that. Are you talking about the people on the forum or the people that really matter...the one's back home calling the shots, the people on the committee?

Back home? Committee? Quantify that please. A far greater % of those you speak of could not give a _____ than those who do......and that again is probably 1% or less of everyone that cares and has a stake in this name change.

What does it really matter if Red River is the Roughriders?

Don't wanna be a copycat? Google all the names. 90% are already in use by another team somewhere. Id rather have a duplicate than Spirits.

Few Herald readers will get confused with the headlines: "Roughriders fall to Fargo North in boys basketball"?

Someone needs to go through the list and list all the names and what schools use them. (Hard for me on a cell phone).

Oh, so now people think we should let the vote decide and IF 'No Nickname' is picked, we should then see what the NCAA thinks.  If they don't like it, then we should pick the second choice.  

That is some sound thinking.   :silly:   This is getting more stupid by the day.  Please end the misery.

Oh, so now people think we should let the vote decide and IF 'No Nickname' is picked, we should then see what the NCAA thinks.  If they don't like it, then we should pick the second choice.  

That is some sound thinking.   :silly:   This is getting more stupid by the day.  Please end the misery.

I'm just speaking for myself.  Maybe the people in charge already know what the NCAA thinks.  And if they don't, the NCAA is inevitably weigh in whether we like it or not.  If <no nickname> isn't viable, then eliminate it.  If <no nickname> is compliant to the terms of the agreement, have a contingency plan, because we know the NCAA bureaucrats can be a fickle bunch.  

I'm just speaking for myself.  Maybe the people in charge already know what the NCAA thinks.  And if they don't, the NCAA is inevitably weigh in whether we like it or not.  If <no nickname> isn't viable, then eliminate it.  If <no nickname> is compliant to the terms of the agreement, have a contingency plan, because we know the NCAA bureaucrats can be a fickle bunch.  

If we are already forecasting that there may be issues with the NCAA because they are a fickle bunch why would we even waste our time?  Why not get it done with once and for all the first time?