SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

6 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I don't understand why everyone here in the Twin Cities tries to give MN a pass because they have 9 freshman.  UND has 11 freshman and is one of the top teams in the country again.

MN has 3 seniors on their roster and UND has 4.  I will take your word for it that none of the UM seniors play but that is an example of the problems with the program too. 

i was waiting for someone to bring this up since i constantly hear about it in the TC's media.  well...nobody really talks goofer hockey but i've heard Louie mention it on KFAN and ESPN1500.  

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I don't understand why everyone here in the Twin Cities tries to give MN a pass because they have 9 freshman.  UND has 11 freshman and is one of the top teams in the country again.

MN has 3 seniors on their roster and UND has 4.  I will take your word for it that none of the UM seniors play but that is an example of the problems with the program too. 

Minnesota has 2 seniors and neither of them see any ice time. One is the third string goalie who was brought in as more of a practice goalie and never had a chance at being a legitimate starter and the other one just doesn't play. UND's seniors are arguably some of their most important players, and yes that is a problem with Minnesota. UND is lead by their older players and Boeser, who appears to have a Hobey in his future at this rate. Say what you want, but he's a massive difference maker for UND as a freshman and it's been a huge boost to them. Minnesota, obviously, doesn't have freshman anywhere near that caliber. They might have a player like that in Casey Mittelstadt in a couple years and Scott Reedy is looking decent as well that year, but to have a guy like Boeser isn't normal. It's starting to look like, at least right now, that he may have been a steal for the Canucks at 23rd in the draft.

8 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Hey, come on now, the Badgers need some more creampuffs to make their record look more respectable. :wink:

When asked to comment about the prospect of UConn and Arizona State playing B10 hockey, Barry Alvarez, AD at Wisconsin, had this to say:

"WHAT?  UConn and Arizona State want to play D1 hockey?  I suppose now someone in Wisconsin will think we should too!"

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GFG said:

Minnesota has 2 seniors and neither of them see any ice time. One is the third string goalie who was brought in as more of a practice goalie and never had a chance at being a legitimate starter and the other one just doesn't play. UND's seniors are arguably some of their most important players, and yes that is a problem with Minnesota. UND is lead by their older players and Boeser, who appears to have a Hobey in his future at this rate. Say what you want, but he's a massive difference maker for UND as a freshman and it's been a huge boost to them. Minnesota, obviously, doesn't have freshman anywhere near that caliber. They might have a player like that in Casey Mittelstadt in a couple years and Scott Reedy is looking decent as well that year, but to have a guy like Boeser isn't normal. It's starting to look like, at least right now, that he may have been a steal for the Canucks at 23rd in the draft.

If this was the first time I had heard the excuse that MN is young and has a lot of freshman I could agree with you.  I have been in the Twin Cities for over 30 years now and this line of thinking is pretty constant.  You would think that MN is the only team that has players leave early and they always have way more freshmen than anybody else.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

If this was the first time I had heard the excuse that MN is young and has a lot of freshman I could agree with you.  I have been in the Twin Cities for over 30 years now and this line of thinking is pretty constant.  You would think that MN is the only team that has players leave early and they always have way more freshmen than anybody else.

To be fair, Tim Hennessey used to say that a lot about UND as well, and it really is hard to win consistently with that many freshmen in the lineup because they don't fully understand what it takes to win both nights of a series.  This UND team has been the exception to the rule by being more consistent than past teams loaded with upperclassmen.  That is all the more reason we should be in awe of what UND has done this year with so many freshmen and all of the injuries and such we have had to deal with.  It is interesting that it was mentioned that UND was led by their Senior class and upperclassmen.  Yeah, that is how it is supposed to work.  Agree that if that isn't the case with Minnesota, it is an indictment on recruiting and development.  How many people were all over Caggiula as an impact player coming in?  In contrast, Cammaratta, Fasching and Guertler were touted as the second coming, and now 2 of the 3 remaining aren't providing the upperclass  leadership required of helping along a young team?

13 hours ago, Cratter said:

Maybe Notre Dame would say "Heck lets move conferences too."

12 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I think ND's biggest complaint about playing in HE is the travel, and it would be reduced substantially in B1G, but the TV contract is too big an obstacle to overcome.

Notre Dame and the B1G don't really get along all that well from what I understand.  I have seen the few Irish hockey fans that are out there complain about HE because they are the only team west of New England.  

Notre Dame has the same problem as the B10:  The folks in charge (who like to think of themselves as being "above" being from the Midwest and view themselves as East Coasters) think they know what's best for the common fan.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GFG said:

Tommy Novak is pretty dang good and has been heating up a lot lately. He's had a really nice second half.  He's not as dynamic as Boeser but he's a really good freshman.

I'm listening to the Mike Haviland Coaches Show right now and Coach Haviland argues that CC could very well upset UND this weekend. His argument is that a) teams playing for their lives tend to play more defensive-oriented which results in lower scoring, tighter games (i.e., the sense of urgency may be higher with teams outside the PWR). b) lower tier teams don't have the pressure on them to win as nobody expects them to be successful. and c) he's observed UND scramble around if/when things aren't going their way and if CC can capitalize on that, they'll be successful.

First off, I'd defend Haviland in that, what is he supposed to say? -"We're in total awe of North Dakota and we have zero chance of beating them."? Second, CC has tended to play better up at the Ralph than they do elsewhere in the league, I don't know why that is. 

I think on paper and on the ice, UND is clearly the better team and "should" win but CC will likely play hard as they fight to keep their season alive.

2 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I'm listening to the Mike Haviland Coaches Show right now and Coach Haviland argues that CC could very well upset UND this weekend. His argument is that a) teams playing for their lives tend to play more defensive-oriented which results in lower scoring, tighter games (i.e., the sense of urgency may be higher with teams outside the PWR). b) lower tier teams don't have the pressure on them to win as nobody expects them to be successful. and c) he's observed UND scramble around if/when things aren't going their way and if CC can capitalize on that, they'll be successful.

First off, I'd defend Haviland in that, what is he supposed to say? -"We're in total awe of North Dakota and we have zero chance of beating them."? Second, CC has tended to play better up at the Ralph than they do elsewhere in the league, I don't know why that is. 

I think on paper and on the ice, UND is clearly the better team and "should" win but CC will likely play hard as they fight to keep their season alive.

I think he's right:  CC will keep it tight for about two minutes, then all he!! will rain down on them. 

• Upvote 2

You know, with this CC team it wouldn't shock me to see them to either play great or absolutely lay an egg. The CC team that traveled to St. Cloud played phenomenal up there and then rolled over at home this past weekend against the very same team. 

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

UND had better not take CC lightly.  Their players don't want their season to end.  UND knows it is playing beyond next weekend regardless of what happens.

Did you steal that line from UND's first round matchups from the last decade or so? :lol:

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

CC will play a tough game and maybe, maybe stop a blowout! But this year's Sioux team is too solid top to bottom. Cam will shut the door and Boeser will "will" the points! 

This is going to be a fun ride to witness!

I feel it in my right knee...go Sioux!

He makes me nervous going into the tournament. When he's on he's great, but when he's off, oh my God is he off. Saturday night is exhibit A, 3 goals on 4 shots. That absolutely cannot happen after this coming weekend. We're not going to be facing a team where we can make up ground like we did against Western Michigan.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Godsmack said:

16 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

UND had better not take CC lightly.  Their players don't want their season to end.  UND knows it is playing beyond next weekend regardless of what happens.

I can't say I'm concerned that CC will take 2 games, but I don't think Haviland is crazy for trying to sell his team on the possibilities.   How many times has UND gone to 3 games of this opening round series, often against teams you'd expect a sweep?   I'm not going back to count but seems like a lot.  Wouldn't surprise me to see CC take 1 this weekend.

4 hours ago, snova4 said:

He makes me nervous going into the tournament. When he's on he's great, but when he's off, oh my God is he off. Saturday night is exhibit A, 3 goals on 4 shots. That absolutely cannot happen after this coming weekend. We're not going to be facing a team where we can make up ground like we did against Western Michigan.

My concern is that something is wrong with Cam Johnson.  When he came off the ice he went straight to the locker room.  He had not returned when I checked the bench later in the game.  Hopefully he wasn't (or isn't) fighting a nagging or long term injury.