SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

37 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I think a common fallacy amongst college hockey fans is that "traditional" powers will always be great.  Fact of the matter is, once you slide down the hill of mediocrity, it's harder to climb back up than we think.

Who could imagine Michigan Tech taking a 30 year nosedive after their last NCAA apprarance in I believe the early 1980's?  Maine was a powerhouse in the 1990's and was a few seconds away from being a national champion as recently as 2002.  Lake Superior State - 88, 92, and 94 NCAA champs.  Blew a 3rd period lead againt Maine in 93, otherwise we're talking FOUR titles in seven years!  And that program has fallen into the abyss.  

I guess my point is that there seems to be a thought out there that just because schools like Wisconsin (and Michigan State, for that matter) USED TO BE associated with greatness, just because they're B10 doesn't necessarily mean there is any reason to think they'll be "back" anytime soon.  

While I agree with your general concept, I think Wisconsin is, like MN, one of the exceptions.  I don't think Wisconsin will be down for long, as it is in a nice spot geographically, is a fantastic school, in a fun town, with a great game experience (I think this will return with winning), and also has facilities, tradition and a long history of developing NHL players.  If they hadn't managed to screw up a couple layup recruits, the Badgers are rolling the KBS line this year, Kunin, Boeser, Schmaltz.

46 minutes ago, jk said:

While I agree with your general concept, I think Wisconsin is, like MN, one of the exceptions.  I don't think Wisconsin will be down for long, as it is in a nice spot geographically, is a fantastic school, in a fun town, with a great game experience (I think this will return with winning), and also has facilities, tradition and a long history of developing NHL players.  If they hadn't managed to screw up a couple layup recruits, the Badgers are rolling the KBS line this year, Kunin, Boeser, Schmaltz.

<shudders> <thanks the recruiting gods aka Hakstol & Berry>

13 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I think a common fallacy amongst college hockey fans is that "traditional" powers will always be great.  Fact of the matter is, once you slide down the hill of mediocrity, it's harder to climb back up than we think.

Who could imagine Michigan Tech taking a 30 year nosedive after their last NCAA apprarance in I believe the early 1980's?  Maine was a powerhouse in the 1990's and was a few seconds away from being a national champion as recently as 2002.  Lake Superior State - 88, 92, and 94 NCAA champs.  Blew a 3rd period lead againt Maine in 93, otherwise we're talking FOUR titles in seven years!  And that program has fallen into the abyss.  

I guess my point is that there seems to be a thought out there that just because schools like Wisconsin (and Michigan State, for that matter) USED TO BE associated with greatness, just because they're B10 doesn't necessarily mean there is any reason to think they'll be "back" anytime soon.  

I agree to a point but your examples are quite a bit different than Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan/Michigan State in a whole lot of ways. The money, facilities and now FCOA are there even when the fan support is down plus they still carry the B1G clout that matters to people regardless of the reality on how the teams or conference are actually doing. The fact a couple of the B1G have fallen so far and aren't even competitive is pretty mind-blowing.

12 hours ago, GFG said:

Very good article on the downfall of Wisconsin and what's going on with the program. In my opinion, a lot of similarity to Minnesota, minus the recruiting part. Well worth the read.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/on-thin-ice-once-a-college-hockey-powerhouse-the-faltering/article_cbf81599-fdbb-5453-85f3-b00373c39715.html

Didnt Schlossman already write this article about the Badgers?  It was just before UW came to Grand Forks and beat the Sioux on a Friday night.  Dang!

11 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I agree to a point but the you're examples are quite a bit different than Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan/Michigan State in a whole lot of ways. The money, facilities and now FCOA are there even when the fan support is down plus they still carry the B1G clout that matters to people regardless of the reality on how the teams or conference are actually doing. The fact a couple of the B1G have fallen so far and aren't even competitive is pretty mind-blowing.

The biggest difference to me is that they're large, well known schools in arguably the 2 biggest hockey states in America (and Wisconsin sandwiched in the middle) with significant hockey history. With the big time school name in states like that I think it's a lot harder to fall into the abyss like some of the smaller schools have managed to do. If you think of what you would consider the top, most consistent programs of all time it's most of the 'big' schools + UND and Denver. And to be honest, I would basically consider UND a 'big' school in the college hockey world with their facilities.

It's a lot more difficult for the smaller teams to sustain that success because they don't have the facilities to recruit as well or the coach that brought them the success eventually leaves. Quinnipiac will probably be the next program to fall from the heavens.