SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

13 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

What about Erik "I was just pushing off his chest with my skate" Westrum?

Happy Gilmore came out just before he started his college career. Maybe he wanted to be the 2nd person to try and stab an opponent with a skate

• Upvote 1

I feel like Grimaldi's problem has always been that he only has one speed, and that's as fast as he can go.  I appreciate the fact he is fast and goes hard to all corners of the ice, but what makes Gaudreau and some of these other guys good is they use different speeds to get the defense off-balance.  Gaudreau will come at you at 70%, and then all of a sudden will pop on the burners and go around you.  Then you expect him to do the same and he dances around you at half speed because you expect him to turn it on.  Grimaldi is coming at you with 100% speed for 100% of the time, and it's predictable.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

They are both too small to excel in the NHL. Rocco should have stayed at UND for four years because his nhl career will be a bust. 

He got his degree from UND. Not sure what another year in college would've done for his professional career if he's "too small to excel in the NHL" anyway. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Their version of Ben Blood or Hextal?

A little of both, I guess, but I think he himself stated later (after being "born again") that he had anger issues.   Ben and Brett were not angry guys.  Brett had fun with it.  

8 hours ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

It doesn't seem to be holding Johnny Gaudreau back

Gaudreau was always a factor when he was on the ice at BC.  There were plenty of times I saw UND play and wondered where Rocco even was since he was practically invisible.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Big A HG said:

I feel like Grimaldi's problem has always been that he only has one speed, and that's as fast as he can go.  I appreciate the fact he is fast and goes hard to all corners of the ice, but what makes Gaudreau and some of these other guys good is they use different speeds to get the defense off-balance.  Gaudreau will come at you at 70%, and then all of a sudden will pop on the burners and go around you.  Then you expect him to do the same and he dances around you at half speed because you expect him to turn it on.  Grimaldi is coming at you with 100% speed for 100% of the time, and it's predictable.  

This is why, on breakaways,Rocco would end up in the back of the net more often than the puck.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Gaudreau was always a factor when he was on the ice at BC.  There were plenty of times I saw UND play and wondered where Rocco even was since he was practically invisible.

I don't disagree at all. That was only in response to saying that Grimaldi and Rau are too small for the NHL. They aren't too small. They just haven't been good enough yet and may never be good enough. Size is just one small factor (pun intended) out of many for why some guys like Grimaldi don't stick in the NHL. I don't know what those other factors are, but it is definitely much more than size in today's NHL.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:18 PM, GFG said:

Serious question. What the hell happened to Grimaldi? I honestly thought he would greatly benefit moving up to play with teammates of a higher skill level. Seems like he's at the point now where he won't really see the NHL unless injuries force him to be called up.

What?  First he's logged a decent amount of NHL games and he's played more games than Rau.  Second, isn't he doing better than Rau in the AHL?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

What?  First he's logged a decent amount of NHL games and he's played more games than Rau.  Second, isn't he doing better than Rau in the AHL?

I didn't even make that comparison... I asked if anyone knew what was going on with him. Nobody knew so I looked around online because I was curious. He's also had an extra year of professional experience than Rau, too. Him and Rau are both doing good in the AHL. Rau is 2nd on the team in points and scoring more goals while Grimaldi is 3rd in points and getting more assists.

On February 24, 2016 at 11:01 PM, geaux_sioux said:

Adam Hauser anyone? Don't even get me started on him.

Slashes Maine player right in front of official about five seconds before a penalty is called on the Black Bears at center ice in the 2002 NCAA championship game.  You know the rest.  

Wow....things are looking bleak in Alaska. Obviously, there are many more factors in play, but I've been expecting something like this since any re-alignment was announced. Taking all the money and pulling it to just a few schools has repurcussions. 

http://www.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_nanooks/nanooks-react-to-legislature-s-proposed-cuts-to-ua-system/article_423337ca-dad0-11e5-b10c-67fb2ba04dac.html

48 minutes ago, bale31 said:

Wow....things are looking bleak in Alaska. Obviously, there are many more factors in play, but I've been expecting something like this since any re-alignment was announced. Taking all the money and pulling it to just a few schools has repurcussions. 

http://www.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_nanooks/nanooks-react-to-legislature-s-proposed-cuts-to-ua-system/article_423337ca-dad0-11e5-b10c-67fb2ba04dac.html

I hope you're not implying that conference realignment has anything to do with state legislature realigning the Alaska state budget.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, GFG said:

I didn't even make that comparison... I asked if anyone knew what was going on with him. Nobody knew so I looked around online because I was curious. He's also had an extra year of professional experience than Rau, too. Him and Rau are both doing good in the AHL. Rau is 2nd on the team in points and scoring more goals while Grimaldi is 3rd in points and getting more assists.

Your comparison was implied based on your quote to someone who mentioned Rau was being called up.  Second, check out there numbers on average, Rau has played more AHL games than Rocco.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I hope you're not implying that conference realignment has anything to do with state legislature realigning the Alaska state budget.

Nope, I'm saying that when those schools were unable to show even a modest profit from their hockey program, it makes those programs even more expendable. Now, the state is considering budget cuts and a very easy place to rationalize taking it from is from athletic programs, especially hockey in this instance.

Those hockey programs are now unable to absorb as many expenses because their expenses have risen while the lir revenues have shrunk. I probably haven't made this point on this site, but my point has always been that the re-alignment made it more likely that larger schools would add hockey, but smaller schools are either going to be forced to reduce or eliminate their programs. Net-net there won't be much expansion, rather their will just be shuffling of schools that sponsor it.

This instance, while not directly tied to hockey, makes it less and less likely for those schools to be able to afford it. Part of the reason it's less likely is their expenses have risen so much under the new structure and revenues have shrunk. So, no, Alaska is not proposing this because of conference re-alignment (and frankly, give me some credit for not being THAT stupid), but the economics of the new world have made it so there is less wiggle room for the schools.

41 minutes ago, bale31 said:

Now, the state is considering budget cuts and a very easy place to rationalize taking it from is from athletic programs, especially hockey in this instance.

I know this may be blasphemous on a college sports website, but a university's primary mission is educational. If money's tight, anything not directly related to education is fair game for the budget ax. That seems to be the tact Alaska's legislature is taking. 

• Upvote 2