SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Michigan State is likely going to be looking for a new coach.  Wisconsin is stuck with Eaves as an albatross.  Red Berenson's about out the door at Michigan. Ohio State would 86 hockey in a heartbeat in exchange for some new black Nike jerseys for the football team.

If the future is bright for B10 hockey, then I'm John Mariucci.

One player here or there can make a huge difference and a team goes from contender to pretender in a hurry.  Dylan Larkin stays at Michigan and they could be number 1, similarly if we don't get Boeser we most likely will be down the ladder a bit.  We always say it's all about winning in the NCAA tourney and that is where people judge how good teams are, and obviously nobody has been as good as the East, not the Big Ten, nor the NCHC.  We'll see how that plays out over the next five years.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Michigan State is likely going to be looking for a new coach.  Wisconsin is stuck with Eaves as an albatross.  Red Berenson's about out the door at Michigan. Ohio State would 86 hockey in a heartbeat in exchange for some new black Nike practice jerseys for the football team.

If the future is bright for B10 hockey, then I'm John Mariucci.

Fixed your post. :)

• Upvote 1

How often do we get a Boeser - to produce as a Freshman

Heck most don't ever get that good ever 

I like getting to see talent of this nature & like everyone else pray they stay

I just hope our coaches can develop teams that keep competing & get better

But of course winning a Natty has to happen once in awhile

Is there a fan base that has seen this more than us

I don't want to stay a place that is above average all the time but never wins the ultimate prize - That's what we are

I can only guess that is alot better than the alternative 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Fetch said:

How often do we get a Boeser - to produce as a Freshman

Heck most don't ever get that good ever 

I like getting to see talent of this nature & like everyone else pray they stay

I just hope our coaches can develop teams that keep competing & get better

But of course winning a Natty has to happen once in awhile

Is there a fan base that has seen this more than us

I don't want to stay a place that is above average all the time but never wins the ultimate prize - That's what we are

I can only guess that is alot better than the alternative 

Amen.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

One player here or there can make a huge difference and a team goes from contender to pretender in a hurry.  Dylan Larkin stays at Michigan and they could be number 1, similarly if we don't get Boeser we most likely will be down the ladder a bit.  We always say it's all about winning in the NCAA tourney and that is where people judge how good teams are, and obviously nobody has been as good as the East, not the Big Ten, nor the NCHC.  We'll see how that plays out over the next five years.

So if Tom Anastos can just convince the next Paul Kariya or Jack Eichel to come to East Lansing, everything will change in the Land of Sparta?  Sure...but it's wishful thinking at this point. 

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So if Tom Anastos can just convince the next Paul Kariya or Jack Eichel to come to East Lansing, everything will change in the Land of Sparta?  Sure...but it's wishful thinking at this point. 

Likewise it won't do the same for the CC's and Western Michigan.  Like I said, time will tell.

14 hours ago, GFG said:

This Star Tribune article could lead to some fun discussion :D

Big Ten Hockey is a buzzkill for fans in Minnesota

As a season ticket holder I can tell you it's awful and that even U of M officials (who won't talk to the press about it) hate it.  One told me this last Friday night "it's ruining Minnesota hockey", and this from someone who'd surprise you.  Lucia can cheerlead all he wants, and the U can put a happy face on it all day long, but fans know the difference and we hate it.  We HATE it and we're all going to jump ship soon.  The numbers don't lie, they're losing people like me every year and it will only continue until they're forced to stop the lying and fix it.

A quote from the comment section in the article.  Wow.  

1 minute ago, tnt said:

Likewise it won't do the same for the CC's and Western Michigan.  Like I said, time will tell.

I agree - the NCHC can tout the programs all it wants, but the fact of the matter is, all conferences will have doormats and once-in-a-while flashes in the pan.  CC and Western Michigan appear to be just that for the NCHC.

So we have the rare superstar scoring machine

The 4 yr jewel that has got better every year

The best playmaker since some guy that now plays for the Blackhawks

A goal tender that has amazed everyone

D Corp that everyone is buzzing about but I don't think they have even come close to peaking (although time is running out)

& the rest of the team trying their hardest to be the best they can be & they & we know they can do it

So is this the year we take advantage of all that & the one missing element 

Luck

U have to have it to win it all in the format we play in

Who knows the secret to that  ?

Or is that not true ?

Can skill & chemistry & heart & desire be the final ingredients? 

• Upvote 1

I do find it very interesting that the pompous Big Ten is now looking at options of combining conference tournaments, something I never thought they would do.  Of course I'm sure they would have never thought about having to stoop to that option.  Still wonder if they would insist on being the marquee game or if they would agree to alternate.  Have to admit I wouldn't mind being able to cheer against Minnesota in a better atmosphere, but also not sure we should help them out of the disaster they've had to this point.

• Upvote 2

On 2/27/2016 at 1:26 AM, GFG said:

They've always offered SRO for every game to my knowledge. There's no way UND wouldn't be #1 on that list if they released the same amount of tickets, though. They're not changing the ice size next year. It got moved back so they could do some other upgrades first. Locker room and such. I wish they would've done the ice first.

I think that's false, at one time a few years ago I believe I posted the largest crowds to watch a game at Mariucci and Kohl center were against UND, and it was definately after 2004 iirc. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tnt said:

I do find it very interesting that the pompous Big Ten is now looking at options of combining conference tournaments, something I never thought they would do.  Of course I'm sure they would have never thought about having to stoop to that option.  Still wonder if they would insist on being the marquee game or if they would agree to alternate.  Have to admit I wouldn't mind being able to cheer against Minnesota in a better atmosphere, but also not sure we should help them out of the disaster they've had to this point.

A combined BTHC/NCHC/WCHA tournament at the Xcel Energy Center would be epic. I would pay good money to watch that action.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Godsmack said:

The best part of this article are the fan commentaries at the end of it. I'm no Gopher fan by any stretch but I empathize with their fans' frustration-limited tv exposure and playing Sunday games....what's up with that?!

The U brass keep claiming they had no choice but to leave the WCHA....really??? The BIG wouldn't have seriously consulted with Minnesota beforehand to get their thoughts on a BIG hockey conference? I find it hard to believe and as one Gopher fan put it, Minnesota saw big $'s and bit down hard.

The B1G didn't do any consulting, Brad Traviola or whatever admitted as much in that interview a few weeks ago. Coming from his non-hockey background he thought Minnesota fans would love to play games against Michigan State and Ohio State. Minnesota had no pull on whether or not they could go and did say they didn't want to do it, but in the end they just had no choice. Of the 6 schools they were the only one against a B1G hockey conference, forcing them into it. It was that or leave the B1G for all sports to remain in the WCHA for hockey, which obviously wouldn't happen.

13 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

A .1 TV share for the Minnesota/Michigan State game? Hell, Newhart reruns and the 2,000th showing of "Driving Miss Daisy" at 4:00 am on TNT get better ratings than that!  

Pretty sure dodgeball on ESPN 8 'The Ocho' gets better ratings than that :lol:

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Oh, don't think for one second that the B10 will join up with the NCHC - this has partnership with "small-time" WCHA all over it.

Minnesota administration will think it can kick Michigan Tech vs Bowling Green or LSSU vs Bemidji State to the 7:00 am Friday game-time at the combined X-Games, but they won't be able to push around Denver, St Cloud, UMD, or NoDak so easily.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Oh, don't think for one second that the B10 will join up with the NCHC - this has partnership with "small-time" WCHA all over it.

Minnesota administration will think it can kick Michigan Tech and Bowling Green or LSSU vs Bemidji State to the 7:00 am Friday game-time at the combined X-Games, but they won't be able to push around Denver, St Cloud, UMD, or NoDak so easily.

Yep. B10/NCHC partnership will not happen. They will want to dictate the terms and get the preferential treatment. Which will definitely not fly with NCHC teams. Which it shouldn't. This isn't football or basketball.

Honestly, I would rather have a NCHC/WCHA partnership but from sounds of the articles that have floated this idea, NCHC officials don't seem keen on the idea.

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

A quote from the comment section in the article.  Wow.  

I would completely believe it. One of Micheal Brodzinski's high school friends here in GF told my friend and I some very bad stuff about the current state inside the program that Micheal told him. I'm not going to say anything about it on internet message boards at this point because Brodzinski is still playing, but if it's true it just makes the B1G stuff much worse for the program because of the timing. I texted with a couple GPL people about it and even they said it wouldn't be that surprising if it's true. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, GFG said:

I would completely believe it. One of Micheal Brodzinski's high school friends here in GF told my friend and I some very bad stuff about the current state inside the program that Micheal told him. I'm not going to say anything about it on internet message boards at this point because Brodzinski is still playing, but if it's true it just makes the B1G stuff much worse for the program because of the timing. I texted with a couple GPL people about it and even they said it wouldn't be that surprising if it's true. 

That's just dirty. My need to know the information is practically eating away my soul.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, snova4 said:

I don't disagree, with what we've seen of Boeser, but at the same time, would he play the same way he does, or be more of pure goal scoring without the drive that Caggiula no doubt brings out in him? I watch Minnesota play and I just don't see anyone on that team willing to make a play like that. Hardnosed play is contagious, as well as soft play. I honestly don't believe you'd see Boeser be nearly the two way player if he were at Minnesota.

fasching, kloos, Swedish kid. They all play hard.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, snova4 said:

That's just dirty. My need to know the information is practically eating away my soul.

I would love to post it, but I wouldn't feel right putting it out on the internet when he's still playing. I'll just say it's some very bad internal issues if it's true.