SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:16 PM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

He had a hard time finishing off the chances he created at UND. Kind of the anti-Boeser, who is a stone cold finisher.

wow, you make a great point/observation and put into words what I was thinking.  Created the chances but didn't close the deal quite frequently.   

• Upvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:40 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

They are both too small to excel in the NHL. Rocco should have stayed at UND for four years because his nhl career will be a bust. 

I think you make a good point, should of stayed 4 (well, maybe 3 years) at UND.  I think he and his agent knew though that his stock was plummeting maybe and thought best to head to the pros b4 stock dropped lower.

19 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I know this may be blasphemous on a college sports website, but a university's primary mission is educational. If money's tight, anything not directly related to education is fair game for the budget ax. That seems to be the tact Alaska's legislature is taking. 

Pretty sure you're still missing my point. I don't even necessarily think the legislature is wrong about making cuts to the university system.

Let me put it like this. Say the hockey program used to generate $1000 and their expenses were $800. Now the conferences change and their program now generates $800 and the expenses go up to $1000. Now the funding goes down and there is less money to go around AND the program is losing money. There is no way to make up for it. In favt, the program is losing money rather than breaking even or making money.

Again, I'm not saying the conferences changing caused anything, but it did centralize the money. It created bigger winners and made losers. It's just an unintended consequence of re-aligning. Everyone was convinced it would create expansion, but we're forgetting that there was a large possibility that it made margins so thin that any shift in economic conditions could force.someone off that cliff. We'll see if that's what happens or not, but it's more of a possibility than anyone wants to admit.

16 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Check out this article by Jimmy Vesey....simply a wonderful article.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jimmy-vesey-harvard-hockey/

It looks like they teach a little writing over there at Hahvad.

Seriously though, I couldn't imagine having the chance to graduate from Harvard with a degree and leaving early to the NHL. His decision seemed well thought out to me.

9 minutes ago, chicofelipe said:

Should be required reading for all college hockey players.

Agreed. Phenomenal article. For the love of God, make Boeser, Schmaltz, and all the other guys we could lose at seasons end read it.

Edited by snova4
Forgot two words.
  • Upvote 1

On 2/26/2016 at 9:43 PM, Cratter said:

Anything can happen in the world of sports.

I have no idea what to think of Michigan. They put up 6 goals a night but yet I'm not sold on them. They haven't played a good team in a long time. Penn State only has a good record because they play most of their out of conference games against Atlantic Hockey. We all know what Minnesota is this year. Michigan State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin are three of the worst teams in the country. And that is all Michigan has been playing in the last 3 months.