SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

14 minutes ago, cberkas said:

2-1 Duluth beats St. Cloud

It's nice to have SCSU lose this weekend no matter who they are playing, but Duluth really does deserve to get some results.   They certainly pulled off a very difficult task in the Cloud.  Impressive.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, BeazSioux said:

I swear we heard that Duluth was the worst damn team in the NCHC last weekend as the SIOUX had 2 battles against them, yet they still swept em at home.  I wonder what we'll hear about Duluth after that performance against the "best" team in the NCHC at home????

Yep, I distinctly remember Cratter being one of the folks saying UMD was a garbage team. It's been pretty evident that they are not. They've been struggling to find the scoring(hence their record) but they are damn good team. UND is fortunate to have won all regular season games against them. Each of those four games could've gone the other way too.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Yep, I distinctly remember Cratter being one of the folks saying UMD was a garbage team. It's been pretty evident that they are not. They've been struggling to find the scoring(hence their record) but they are damn good team. UND is fortunate to have won all regular season games against them. Each of those four games could've gone the other way too.

Yeah, happy they beat St. Cloud, but would hate to face them in the first round of a regional.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, tnt said:

Yeah, happy they beat St. Cloud, but would hate to face them in the first round of a regional.

Agree, 100%. In 2003-2004, UND went 3-0-1 against Denver in the regular season only to lose to them in the NCAA tournament regional. It is hard enough beating the same team four times in a row. Having to beat the same team five times in a row? Very tall order.

Duluth is a far better team than Omaha despite those two teams' records IMO. The top four teams in our conference talent wise are probably UND, SCSU, DU, and UMD and any of those teams could win the national championship as long as they are in the tournament (cough cough Duluth). Personally I think Duluth would easily be in first in the Big10 if they were in that conference.

22 hours ago, cberkas said:
24 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Duluth is a far better team than Omaha despite those two teams' records IMO. The top four teams in our conference talent wise are probably UND, SCSU, DU, and UMD and any of those teams could win the national championship as long as they are in the tournament (cough cough Duluth). Personally I think Duluth would easily be in first in the Big10 if they were in that conference.

Absolutely agree. "Far" better, not sure, but for sure better.  Yes, UMD could win the Lil 6 conf title.

Far better is hyperbole on my side, and I have a bad habit of slipping into hyperbole, but if someone gave me the option of playing Omaha or Duluth, I would take Omaha in a second and not think twice. There was a reason Duluth was the favorite in the NCHC coming into the season. Even after 5 months of them being disappointing, I'm scared of them realizing the potential they have. They were close to taking both games in Grand Forks while missing one of their best players in Farley. 

I think we know what the best version of Omaha is and that is Guentzel and Ortega going crazy. Beyond those two, that team is not very worrisome to me. If Omaha was missing Guentzel or Ortega they would only be able to score against a Big10 defense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GFG said:

This Star Tribune article could lead to some fun discussion :D

Big Ten Hockey is a buzzkill for fans in Minnesota

The best part of this article are the fan commentaries at the end of it. I'm no Gopher fan by any stretch but I empathize with their fans' frustration-limited tv exposure and playing Sunday games....what's up with that?!

The U brass keep claiming they had no choice but to leave the WCHA....really??? The BIG wouldn't have seriously consulted with Minnesota beforehand to get their thoughts on a BIG hockey conference? I find it hard to believe and as one Gopher fan put it, Minnesota saw big $'s and bit down hard.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Far better is hyperbole on my side, and I have a bad habit of slipping into hyperbole, but if someone gave me the option of playing Omaha or Duluth, I would take Omaha in a second and not think twice. There was a reason Duluth was the favorite in the NCHC coming into the season. Even after 5 months of them being disappointing, I'm scared of them realizing the potential they have. They were close to taking both games in Grand Forks while missing one of their best players in Farley. 

I think we know what the best version of Omaha is and that is Guentzel and Ortega going crazy. Beyond those two, that team is not very worrisome to me. If Omaha was missing Guentzel or Ortega they would only be able to score against a Big10 defense.

One of the thing that impressed me about Duluth was how they kept playing their game despite how incredibly frustrating it must have been to lose so many low scoring games.   That kind of thing forges character, and when you mix in talent, you have a team that can be dangerous when things start to go their way.  Like Denver now.   Playing the game well usually builds confidence, but when it doesn't lead to wins, not so much.   Winning always builds confidence.  Duluth deserves to start winning, IMO.   And when more teams in our conference start playing up to their potential, it's a better hockey world to live in IMO.   More dangerous, maybe, but better. 

But for our guys to go into Duluth and Omaha and sweep?  Hats off to them. 

BTW, did any of you notice how happy Thompson was after he got his goal?  He practically raced over to the glove tap at the bench.   His misplays have made him tentative this year, and that's a hard thing  for a defenseman to overcome.   He almost got burned last night but made a great stick play to recover.  Maybe he will get some mojo back too.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Godsmack said:

The best part of this article are the fan commentaries at the end of it. I'm no Gopher fan by any stretch but I empathize with their fans' frustration-limited tv exposure and playing Sunday games....what's up with that?!

The U brass keep claiming they had no choice but to leave the WCHA....really??? The BIG wouldn't have seriously consulted with Minnesota beforehand to get their thoughts on a BIG hockey conference? I find it hard to believe and as one Gopher fan put it, Minnesota saw big $'s and bit down hard.

Also most of their fans' complaints are the lack of rivalry games against teams like North Dakota. Don Lucia single handedly put these rivalry games on hold because they are unhealthy. Maybe they should quit blaming the conference and look at the real reason these games haven't been played. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

Also most of their fans' complaints are the lack of rivalry games against teams like North Dakota. Don Lucia single handedly put these rivalry games on hold because they are unhealthy. Maybe they should quit blaming the conference and look at the real reason these games haven't been played. 

This is how I felt after reading that also. The Don seems to all but say, shut up fans, you don't know how good we have made it for you, just embrace it! I honestly don't see things or that league any better in 5 years. Compared to the old WCHA or current NCHC anyways.Its mean, I know, but it's nice seeing the real......who needs who thing happening...?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Big shake-up in Hockey East last night.  BC gets upset by UMass-Lowell and BU loses at Notre Dame.  Lowell now tied with the Terriers for 4th and by virtue of winning the tie-breaker, gets a HE first-round playoff bye.  The Terriers now have to play a first-round series.  Ouch.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, GFG said:

This Star Tribune article could lead to some fun discussion :D

Big Ten Hockey is a buzzkill for fans in Minnesota

My wife who's been a long time UND fan, but not especially understanding of hockey, asked me last night what has happened to Minnesota. As she asked the question was when Boeser hustled to the corner to negate the icing call which lead to him getting a goal seconds later. I told her they don't have players willing to do that. Risk potential injury by going full speed into a corner to stop an icing and then stick with the play. It was just the most perfectly timed play I have ever seen to describe the difference between the two teams philosophies.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, snova4 said:

My wife who's been a long time UND fan, but not especially understanding of hockey, asked me last night what has happened to Minnesota. As she asked the question was when Boeser hustled to the corner to negate the icing call which lead to him getting a goal seconds later. I told her they don't have players willing to do that. Risk potential injury by going full speed into a corner to stop an icing and then stick with the play. It was just the most perfectly timed play I have ever seen to describe the difference between the two teams philosophies.

That said, they get Boeser instead of us, and Minnesota would be within the bubble of the NCAA tournament, and we would be much closer to it.

1 minute ago, tnt said:

That said, they get Boeser instead of us, Minnesota would be within the bubble of the NCAA tournament, and we would be much closer to it.

I don't disagree, with what we've seen of Boeser, but at the same time, would he play the same way he does, or be more of pure goal scoring without the drive that Caggiula no doubt brings out in him? I watch Minnesota play and I just don't see anyone on that team willing to make a play like that. Hardnosed play is contagious, as well as soft play. I honestly don't believe you'd see Boeser be nearly the two way player if he were at Minnesota.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

This is how I felt after reading that also. The Don seems to all but say, shut up fans, you don't know how good we have made it for you, just embrace it! I honestly don't see things or that league any better in 5 years. Compared to the old WCHA or current NCHC anyways.Its mean, I know, but it's nice seeing the real......who needs who thing happening...?

I hope I am wrong, but I think the Big Ten will be much better within the 5 years.  Wisconsin and Michigan State have nowhere to go but up, and Wisconsin still has the name recognition to get a big name coach.  Just like Omaha has shown us, it's all about winning those non-conference games to benefit your league, and no way does Minnesota continue to lose to fellow Minnesota teams at the alarming rate they are now, or they have a new big name coach as well. Omaha has always had poor non-conference records that hurt then until this year when it is carrying them. All that said, I still would love to see the empty arenas hurt their recruiting, but they will still get their fair share, and because of that things can only get better.

16 minutes ago, tnt said:

I hope I am wrong, but I think the Big Ten will be much better within the 5 years.  Wisconsin and Michigan State have nowhere to go but up, and Wisconsin still has the name recognition to get a big name coach.  

Michigan State is likely going to be looking for a new coach.  Wisconsin is stuck with Eaves as an albatross.  Red Berenson's about out the door at Michigan. Ohio State would 86 hockey in a heartbeat in exchange for some new black Nike jerseys for the football team.

If the future is bright for B10 hockey, then I'm John Mariucci.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1