SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

I know this may be blasphemous on a college sports website, but a university's primary mission is educational. If money's tight, anything not directly related to education is fair game for the budget ax. That seems to be the tact Alaska's legislature is taking. 

Aren't a lot of collegiate sports programs privately funded, at least a good chunk of them?

• Upvote 1

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Aren't a lot of collegiate sports programs privately funded, at least a good chunk of them?

At private schools, yes. 

At many, many, many (OK, most) public institutions a significant portion of athletics dollars come from university support funds and subsidies (via the state legislature). 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ccap/2014/12/12/who-actually-funds-intercollegiate-athletic-programs/#7904718b5b99

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

At private schools, yes. 

At many, many, many (OK, most) public institutions a significant portion of athletics dollars come from university support funds and subsidies (via the state legislature). 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ccap/2014/12/12/who-actually-funds-intercollegiate-athletic-programs/#7904718b5b99

From previous articles, I believe that somewhere around the top 15 or so programs actually make money. Texas, Ohio State, and Penn State among others of their type are normally near the top. That varies from year to year. A lot of other P5 conference members probably average 20-30% of athletic spending coming from the institution in some form. That includes schools like Minnesota. Some MAC schools were in the 80% or higher range. For FCS schools that average number is probably more like 65-75%. UND and NDSU ranked near the top for FCS schools in a report from a couple of years ago, at that time NDSU was in the low 40's and UND in the upper 40's. So, out of a $20 million athletic department budget at UND, student fees and other institutional support is probably in the $9 million range.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I know this may be blasphemous on a college sports website, but a university's primary mission is educational. If money's tight, anything not directly related to education is fair game for the budget ax. That seems to be the tact Alaska's legislature is taking. 

That is not at all blasphemous.   It is completely appropriate. 

3 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

From previous articles, I believe that somewhere around the top 15 or so programs actually make money. Texas, Ohio State, and Penn State among others of their type are normally near the top. That varies from year to year. A lot of other P5 conference members probably average 20-30% of athletic spending coming from the institution in some form. That includes schools like Minnesota. Some MAC schools were in the 80% or higher range. For FCS schools that average number is probably more like 65-75%. UND and NDSU ranked near the top for FCS schools in a report from a couple of years ago, at that time NDSU was in the low 40's and UND in the upper 40's. So, out of a $20 million athletic department budget at UND, student fees and other institutional support is probably in the $9 million range.

Minnesota is one of the higher revenue producing athletic departments in the country. They were #15 in the country with $106,176,156 in total revenue with only 6.6% subsidy. This list has everyone. Seems more than half of the P5 schools are under 10%, most of the rest around 15-18% and very few over 20%. Smaller schools are definitely much, much higher. NDSU is 38.6% and UND is 56.09%. B1G schools will probably be super low when they get their new TV contract next year.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

Mariucci about a third full for the Minnesota and Michigan game.  

Are you surprised? I'm surprised it's about half full for a Thursday game. The game, like many others, was very close to sold out. It's just unused tickets. The university finally wised up this week and decided to sell 1100 standing room tickets for $10 for these games for fans to attend and use the seats of people who don't show up. Problem is they waited to long to do it. Not sure how many they ended up selling (last I saw on GPL was 550 for tonight), but it was a good idea to finally try and do something to get people in some seats of all the unused tickets. They dropped single game reserved seat prices for this weekend and Wisconsin by about $20, too. There's very few to buy and most of them are single seats, but it's still nice to see them finally make an attempt to battle the unused tickets

Last Thursday, I had suggested to a buddy, that CC/World Arena ought to have given away some unsold tickets for the CC/DU game to the local youth boys and girls hockey teams and/or other young people in the Colorado Springs area. Doing something like that could accomplish a couple of things: generate goodwill among the community, fill more of the arena with parents and kids (also resulting in more concession sales), and try to re-generate interest in the CC hockey program in the community.  Gosh knows the program needs to do a lot of work to generate interest in the team. I guess what I'm saying is, use the free tickets as a loss leader. 

5 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Last Thursday, I had suggested to a buddy, that CC/World Arena ought to have given away some unsold tickets for the CC/DU game to the local youth boys and girls hockey teams and/or other young people in the Colorado Springs area. Doing something like that could accomplish a couple of things: generate goodwill among the community, fill more of the arena with parents and kids (also resulting in more concession sales), and try to re-generate interest in the CC hockey program in the community.  Gosh knows the program needs to do a lot of work to generate interest in the team. I guess what I'm saying is, use the free tickets as a loss leader. 

CC starts winning and making deep runs in the NCAA would be a start to get people to show up to games.

40 minutes ago, cberkas said:

CC starts winning and making deep runs in the NCAA would be a start to get people to show up to games.

Well, of course. But in the meantime, I think that they can do more to get the word out about the team to generate a little interest.

6 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Well, of course. But in the meantime, I think that they can do more to get the word out about the team to generate a little interest.

Is that marketing? 

I heard that only works when you're an awesome team that winning lots of games...:silly:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1