SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

26 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

I'm just a little surprised that the Gophers are not playing at TCF Bank Stadium while its set up for hockey with the Wild-Blackhawks game next weekend.  

I guess Notre Dame couldn't make it, so Lucia just said no.

In Lucia's defense, he did propose that UMD, Mankato, St Cloud, or Bemidji play the almighty M outdoors...but was reminded by the interim AD of the team's record in the last 13 games they've played against the in-state schools.

:lol:

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

In Lucia's defense, he did propose that UMD, Mankato, St Cloud, or Bemidji play the almighty M outdoors...but was reminded by the interim AD of the team's record in the last 13 games they've played against the in-state schools.

:)

And the cupcake budget was already spent for the annual Mariucci Classic, which left just a weekend off.  

• Upvote 3

So now the reason that UND has great attendance while Minnesota's is pathetic according to some on GPL  is that there is nothing else to do in Grand Forks and our team has been good this year.  Seems like our attendance has been constant even when Hakstol's teams almost always hovered around .500 the first half.  

So now the people in the "State of Hockey" with a huge Metro population to draw from need to make lame excuses to explain their poor attendance.  Maybe the reason so many people in small town Minnesota go to hockey games is because they have nothing else to do, so maybe they aren't actually the "State of Hockey" after all, maybe they are just bored.  The only problem with their logic is that you look at all of the Sioux fans in the Denver area that go to the UND games in Denver.  Can't use the "nothing else to do" logic there.

Maybe it is just time to admit that UND seems to have more fans that care about hockey than Minnesota.   Sure, part of that has to do with them being sick of the Big Ten predicament, but weren't they the ones that were saying UND needs Minnesota, while Minnesota would be just fine.  Guarantee you that next year when we play them it will be the biggest series since we played them last time, and tickets will be hard to find. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, tnt said:

So now the reason that UND has great attendance while Minnesota's is pathetic according to some on GPL  is that there is nothing else to do in Grand Forks and our team has been good this year.  Seems like our attendance has been constant even when Hakstol's teams almost always hovered around .500 the first half.  

So now the people in the "State of Hockey" with a huge Metro population to draw from needs to make lame excuses to explain their poor attendance.  Maybe the reason so many people in small town Minnesota go to hockey games is because they have nothing else to do, so maybe they aren't actually the "State of Hockey" after all, maybe they are just bored.  The only problem with their logic is that you look at all of the Sioux fans in the Denver area that go to the UND games in Denver.  Can't use the "nothing else to do" logic there.

Maybe it is just time to admit that UND seems to have more fans that care about hockey than Minnesota.   Sure, part of that has to do with them being sick of the Big Ten predicament, but weren't they the ones that were saying UND needs Minnesota, while Minnesota would be just fine.  Guarantee you that next year when we play them it will be the biggest series since we played them last time, and tickets will be hard to find. 

The Big10 move has a lot to do with it but so does the Wild.  Minneapolis is a pro-sports city.  I play hockey around the metro area and you rarely hear guys talk about the Gophs, only the Wild.

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

The Big10 move has a lot to do with it but so does the Wild.  Minneapolis is a pro-sports city.  I play hockey around the metro area and you rarely hear guys talk about the Gophs, only the Wild.

Neither one are very entertaining to follow at the moment. Better chance of making the postseason, Wild or Gophers?

Even if it's a pro sports city, 3 million people and they can't sell out the self-appointed "Mecca of hockey" toilet bowl with 10k?

11 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Neither one are very entertaining to follow at the moment. Better chance of making the postseason, Wild or Gophers?

Even if it's a pro sports city, 3 million people and they can't sell out the self-appointed "Mecca of hockey" toilet bowl with 10k?

Gophers need to win 3 (maybe just 2) games in March at the B1G Tourney and they are in.  If I was a betting man, I'd take the Gophers.  Wild have a lot more work to do than that.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

all I am saying is that I never hear hockey folks discussing the gophs, only the wild (regardless of their performance). The only time I have ever heard someone talk about the gophs (this year) was when that article about Lucia came out.

14 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Wild

On 2/17/2016 at 2:11 PM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Since technically the B1G tournament is the post-season, and all 6 teams get to participate, I'm going with the Gophers.

Just now, SJHovey said:

Since technically the B1G tournament is the post-season, and all 6 teams get to participate, I'm going with the Gophers.

I wouldn't bet on the Gophers winning the B1G tournament. I could see Michigan or Penn State winning that.

• Upvote 1

On 2/17/2016 at 1:49 PM, tnt said:

So now the people in the "State of Hockey" with a huge Metro population to draw from need to make lame excuses to explain their poor attendance.  Maybe the reason so many people in small town Minnesota go to hockey games is because they have nothing else to do, so maybe they aren't actually the "State of Hockey" after all, maybe they are just bored.  The only problem with their logic is that you look at all of the Sioux fans in the Denver area that go to the UND games in Denver.  Can't use the "nothing else to do" logic there.

I agree with your post, I moved from Fargo to the cities in the late 80's and I am a huge Gopher fan BUT, I admit it is embarrassing in a city with over 3 million people we can't even fill a 10,000 seat arena. All i hear is "there's so much more to do here in the cities and there's nothing to do in cities like Grand Forks" which is a bunch of bull. Sure there is more to to do in the cities but to say there's NOTHING to do in Grand Forks or Fargo, St.Cloud, etc is completely untrue. I keep reminding my friends who were born and raised in the cities that when they make comments like this it just shows the Twin Cites arrogance (which there is a lot of). 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, hockey1 said:

I agree with your post, I moved from Fargo to the cities in the late 80's and I am a huge Gopher fan BUT, I admit it is embarrassing in a city with over 3 million people we can't even fill a 10,000 seat arena. All i hear is "there's so much more to do here in the cities and there's nothing to do in cities like Grand Forks" which is a bunch of bull. Sure there is more to to do in the cities but to say there's NOTHING to do in Grand Forks or Fargo, St.Cloud, etc is completely untrue. I keep reminding my friends who were born and raised in the cities that when they make comments like this it just shows the Twin Cites arrogance (which there is a lot of). 

Yeah, my parents have season hockey tickets and they go to maybe 2-3 games a year because they have other plans/events to attend(which is great for me :)). I assume most TC residents say there is nothing to do in GF to get under GF locals' skins but the ones that are serious look very ignorant to life outside their bubble.  I lived & worked in the heart of Minneapolis for 5 years and chose to move to Grand Forks a couple years ago.  I don't get more or less bored now that I live in GF and probably do more things away from my place because I don't have to time everything with rush hour/traffic flow. Different strokes and all... 

• Upvote 1

DU fans (all fifteen of them) make the same exact comments about GF as folks from the TC. Funny though how many people here in Denver drive home in their steel coffins on that long cummute, enter their front doors, close the blinds and don't come out until the following morning when they begin their commute back to work.

On 2/17/2016 at 1:49 PM, tnt said:

So now the people in the "State of Hockey" with a huge Metro population to draw from need to make lame excuses to explain their poor attendance.  Maybe the reason so many people in small town Minnesota go to hockey games is because they have nothing else to do.

This has always been the worlds dumbest argument.

11,500 in a town of 60,000 = 19% of the "metro" at a hockey game.

30,000 (sold out Xcel Energy Center & Mariucci Arena) in a town of 700,000 (that's only of St. Paul and Minneapolis proper population) = 4%

They would need an equivalent of 133,000 people at a hockey game or sporting event. What are all these people doing?*

*HS hockey games? Like those aren't also going on in Grand Forks? There really isn't "that much to do" in Minneapolis/St. Paul on a regular basis that isn't available in the RRV.

If 19% of the actual entire metro of 3.5 Million went to a Gopher hockey game, Maricucci would have to hold 665,000. Its laughable a town that large can't find 10,000 fans every night to go to a hockey game...especially when you consider their student body at the University of Minnesota has more people than the entire town of Grand Forks.

• Upvote 2

They'd (either the school or city of St. Paul) be well served to build a park and ride along the green line at some point, it goes right through campus and one of the stops is at the football stadium a block from Mariucci.  Problem is most of the neighborhoods it goes through are kinda seedy; or at least they were back in the day, maybe the light rail has gentrified them.  But the traffic on University is awful for games and likely got worse with the rail going in so I won't discredit those turned off by traffic.  Also I would gander the majority of people who say there's much more to do in the cities are referring to the one time a year some band they like comes to town or the wider variety in watering holes.

31 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Also I would gander the majority of people who say there's much more to do in the cities are referring to the one time a year some !@#!$ band they like comes to town or the wider variety in watering holes.

I think you nailed it: more bars is about it.

Those same bands stop in GF or Fargo: Carrie Underwood, Florida Georgia Line, Boyz II Men (:blush:), Alan Jackson, Justin Bieber, James Taylor, Rob Zombie, Foreigner are just a few of the upcoming bands to the RRV.

39 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Tonight's CC/DU game will be on tv. Channels 628, 640, and 665 alternate on Direct TV. 7pm MST puck drop.

Also available to everyone in the Red River Valley.

The XTRA channel can be found on channels 29 and 1029 for Cable One subscribers and channel 596 for Mid-Co subscribers. It can also be found on Channel 6.3 on the antenna.

On 2/15/2016 at 7:56 PM, MafiaMan said:

Couldn't they bring down St. Scholastica for a tilt?

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Also available to everyone in the Red River Valley.

The XTRA channel can be found on channels 29 and 1029 for Cable One subscribers and channel 596 for Mid-Co subscribers. It can also be found on Channel 6.3 on the antenna.

Hey, thanks for the heads up! I was just tuning in the Wild, saw this while looking at  SiouxSports, and realized I was more interested in this NCHC game than the NHL game.

• Upvote 1