SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

11 minutes ago, dakotadan said:

Amsoil has Mariucci beat by far tonight for number of empty seats. It is dead in there. 

They've had Mariucci beat almost every weekend for 2 years but nobody makes a big deal out of it because it's Duluth and not the Gophers. There's almost no possible way Amsoil's actual attendance has been at more than 50% capacity for any series but UND and Minnesota the last 2 years. Maybe a couple other series have, but it's been rare to see it more than about 50%.

1 hour ago, GFG said:

I completely agree. He unloaded a punch on a player that was defenseless because he was subdued by the official. One game for that is ridiculous. Doesn't that set the precedent that full on fighting would be a one game suspension if it's your first suspension?

I believe that the penalty for fighting in the NCAA is a game DQ which means getting kicked out of that game and missing the next game. That's for the first time in a season. And I believe that you get suspended for 2 games the second time in a season.

Rule 48 - Fighting or Punching

Fighting or Punching

- A player shall not fight an opponent or participate in a fight, on or off the playing surface. A punch thrown may be considered fighting.

PENALTY—Disqualification.

A player who does not retaliate after being struck shall not be assessed a penalty.

Clearing the Area of a Fight

- When a fight occurs on the ice, all non-participating players, excluding goalkeepers, must proceed immediately and directly to their respective players’ bench at the signal of the referee.

Goalkeepers must remain in the immediate vicinity of their goal crease

PENALTY—Minor to offending player(s) or goalkeeper.

Continuing or Attempting to Continue a Fight - A player shall not resist an official or persist in continuing or attempting to continue an altercation after the player has been ordered by any on-ice official to stop.

PENALTY—Misconduct, game misconduct or disqualification, at the

discretion of the referee.

Instigating - When an altercation results in penalties on both teams and, in the opinion of the official, one player was instrumental in starting the altercation, that player shall receive an additional penalty for instigating.

PENALTY—Minor.

14 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

I believe that the penalty for fighting in the NCAA is a game DQ which means getting kicked out of that game and missing the next game. That's for the first time in a season. And I believe that you get suspended for 2 games the second time in a season.

Touche, not sure why I didn't think of that since I know the rule. Probably because that punch should be considered fighting and only got the guy a game 

I think it was different than a normal fight too. You don't see a person down on his back with a ref on him getting punched in the face very often. I guess I think of a fight as both guys on their feet and once one guy can't go anymore the other person needs to stop. You just can't punch a guy when he can't fight back.

1 hour ago, GFG said:

Touche, not sure why I didn't think of that since I know the rule. Probably because that punch should be considered fighting and only got the guy a game 

43 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I think it was different than a normal fight too. You don't see a person down on his back with a ref on him getting punched in the face very often. I guess I think of a fight as both guys on their feet and once one guy can't go anymore the other person needs to stop. You just can't punch a guy when he can't fight back.

If you look at the rule I quoted you will see that a single punch thrown can be considered fighting. If a person doesn't reciprocate they won't be called for a penalty. I haven't watched the video, but it sounds like this incident fits under this rule and the puncher basically got the 1 game suspension in the rules for fighting.

8 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

If you look at the rule I quoted you will see that a single punch thrown can be considered fighting. If a person doesn't reciprocate they won't be called for a penalty. I haven't watched the video, but it sounds like this incident fits under this rule and the puncher basically got the 1 game suspension in the rules for fighting.

It was basically a line brawl towards the end of a game. The ref was trying to separate two players and the Ohio State guy ended up on the ground with the ref on top of him. Then with the guy on the ground, the Michigan guy punched the Ohio State guy's head into the ice. I feel he went beyond just a fight and deserved more than 1 game. 

11 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

It was basically a line brawl towards the end of a game. The ref was trying to separate two players and the Ohio State guy ended up on the ground with the ref on top of him. Then with the guy on the ground, the Michigan guy punched the Ohio State guy's head into the ice. I feel he went beyond just a fight and deserved more than 1 game. 

The rule is pretty much cut and dried. One punch can be considered a fight. The penalty for a fight is a game DQ. That means he would leave the game and miss the next game. I don't know if he missed the rest of the game, but if it was close to the end of the game he probably didn't play much if at all. Then he was suspended for the next game. That's what the rule states. He isn't going to get more than that unless the incident is really bad. One punch, even if the punch receiver is defenseless, isn't going to get more than the 1 game. To get more he would probably have to get injured, or they would have to observe an obvious intent to injure, or it would have to be a real beating. Even in those cases it would be rare to get more than a single game.

Ick.  Was hoping for a PSU and Miami win...both got blown out instead.
Didn't take long for UMN to get back to winning ways once they started playing the stellar B10 competition.  :wink:

With Michigan's loss, it certainly looks like UMN is in the driver's seat for the B10 regular season crown again.

Hopefully Miami can put up more of a fight tomorrow and help us out a bit...

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, cberkas said:

4-1 Minnesota

Man, did MN get the "preferred member" conference officiating right before that goal.    Puck in the Penn State zone, Penn State gets control behind the net, a gopher heads up the slot for a line change and completed destroys a Penn State player without the puck, MN regains the puck behind the net and throws one out front to another wide open guy sliding down the slot with a gimmee goal.    Unreal no call.

BTW, I didn't watch much of last night's game or today's game, but from what I did see, man, Penn State has some learnin' to do in the d zone.   

9 minutes ago, dagies said:

Man, did MN get the "preferred member" conference officiating right before that goal.    Puck in the Penn State zone, Penn State gets control behind the net, a gopher heads up the slot for a line change and completed destroys a Penn State player without the puck, MN regains the puck behind the net and throws one out front to another wide open guy sliding down the slot with a gimmee goal.    Unreal no call.

BTW, I didn't watch much of last night's game or today's game, but from what I did see, man, Penn State has some learnin' to do in the d zone.   

Remember defense is optional in the B1G.