SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. ST. CLOUD STATE - Fri @ 4:08

The Exiled One

We lost our first line center for the year...a senior...a top scorer...a pivot who plays in all situations...a great face-off guy...

I don't think we're the best team in the country...imagine any of the great Sioux championship teams without their top center...they don't win a natty. Its that simple to me, and the reason I am not too upset.

15 years sucks, but it speaks to parity, and this year, it speaks to injury.

Bingo! We have a winner.

This...this is the correct answer with potentially 5 games left on a run to #8. I have been waiting...patiently... all season to see both or even one to say "I'm way too talented to not be a dominant force for this hockey team" and show it on the ice. And make no mistake that 9 can not continue his level of play as is either.

I'm glad someone finally brings up a player other than schmaltz. Take our top 6 forwards and check out their stats the past 5, 10, and 15 games. I love the gaarder line but they're a great 3rd line not a line we should be relying on to win the game.

This team has to win today, hope for a Mankato loss, pound an Atlantic team next week, and get lucky the rest of the way.

I am surprised no one has posted about what led to the St. Cloud second goal, and what could have been a second ugly turning point in the Sioux season. That second goal came about because Nick Schmaltz took the puck off his foot/ankle when SCSU went to dump it into the zone. SCSU immediately had the man advantage as Schmaltz struggled to the bench. I was concerned he was now done for the day and possibly longer. At the start of the next period, all the Sioux players were standing on the bench except for Nick Schmaltz. It turned out the only damage was that it led to the SCSU second goal, rather than losing Nick for an extended period. At this point in the season I will take the loss of the game over losing another top player.

New lines for sat. Game, what could possibly happen.

29-9-27

14-13-21

15-8-28

22-10-11

Poolman goes to D and Jordan S takes seat in the press box, you don't give your all you sit.

Can't see those lines happening and I don't see Poolman moving back to D until next season which is the right move because Jordan shouldn't come out nor will he unless he is injured.

Can't see those lines happening and I don't see Poolman moving back to D until next season which is the right move because Jordan shouldn't come out nor will he unless he is injured.

Yeah but overreactions are so much more fun. I mean why wouldn't you bench one of your best defenseman heading into the national tournament or make knee-jerk reaction line changes?
  • Upvote 2

Knee jerk? How have Parks and Cagguila done lately? Maybe they have no talent and McMillan was the only reason they even had any stats. Maybe the Sioux only had 20 shots on net because of 16 missing. When Cagguila was with Johnson and Chzyk that line performed why break it up? If it's not working then try something different, that's goes for during then game. With all the time outs we could roll three lines. But as a lifelong fan I probably have no right to say this team should be better then what they were yesterday.

Can't see those lines happening and I don't see Poolman moving back to D until next season which is the right move because Jordan shouldn't come out nor will he unless he is injured.[/quote

Jordan needs to play like a first rounder and like he's a junior then cuz right now he's not! Was Joey Laleggia a first rounder cuz you hear more about him then Jordan, i probly murdered his last name and honestly right now id take Joey over Jordan

Knee jerk? How have Parks and Cagguila done lately? Maybe they have no talent and McMillan was the only reason they even had any stats. Maybe the Sioux only had 20 shots on net because of 16 missing. When Cagguila was with Johnson and Chzyk that line performed why break it up? If it's not working then try something different, that's goes for during then game. With all the time outs we could roll three lines. But as a lifelong fan I probably have no right to say this team should be better then what they were yesterday.

I would take a whole blue line of Stechers that leave it all on the ice vs a first rounder that only gives it when he wants too. Maybe they was a reason he was cut from the world jr team, not lack of talent but how he applies it

The same LaLeggia that got absolutely walked around for a Miami goal last night and will bring offense but can be a liability on the defensive end? Jordan gets far too much blame on here from people he was solid defensively even involved and winning more board battles than he usually does. He created some offensive chances yesterday but got too many shots blocked.

The same LaLeggia that got absolutely walked around for a Miami goal last night and will bring offense but can be a liability on the defensive end? Jordan gets far too much blame on here from people he was solid defensively even involved and winning more board battles than he usually does. He created some offensive chances yesterday but got too many shots blocked.

I didnt watch the Miami game last night but seem like you can count on him in tight situations and Jordan not so much, just my opinion, i still need to cool down from yesterday

Step away from the ledge people. It's one effin' game that the Sioux didn't play particularly well but for a 30 second stretch in the first period was basically an even game. One thing this team has showed us is consistency and effort, I would expect to see a much better performance today.

Step away from the ledge people. It's one effin' game that the Sioux didn't play particularly well but for a 30 second stretch in the first period was basically an even game. One thing this team has showed us is consistency and effort, I would expect to see a much better performance today.

The problem is we are in late March now. One bad stretch of a game seems to happen alot in March and April.

It's not so much that the players are a little up and down that concerns me, but rather that it's been a decade or more since we had a player who didn't feel like they had to play in-system 100% of the time and could make a play when they saw an opening. 

I enjoyed the Redhawks game last night more than the UND game not just because UND lost, but because it was genuinely fun to watch players like Czarnik who have some individual skill show us what they can do. 

Check it out if you haven't seen it:

• Upvote 1

Maybe it was my overall love of Ben Blood, even with his hot headedness at times, but I've been extremely frustrated with J. Schmaltz since he came to UND. He plays soft, except when his brother got hurt, and gives up on plays way to often. We have to many solid players watching the game for someone to give half assed efforts as often as he seems to. It seems whenever I see a defenseman mistake lead to a goal, I see 24 in the vicinity. I'm not going to pretend I understand all the nuances of the game, I just feel he should be better than he seems to be.

^ What he said

1. Very disappointed in the play of the team yesterday. Agree if they continue to play like this they won't win another game this year. That's aa concern.

2. Love all of the criticism of Hak not being able to prepare his team for tournament play. It's so right on. Just think how easily another coach would won the last 3 Final Five's of the old WCHA.....including thes senior class's freshman year when they couldn't field a full roster.

1. Very disappointed in the play of the team yesterday. Agree if they continue to play like this they won't win another game this year. That's aa concern.

2. Love all of the criticism of Hak not being able to prepare his team for tournament play. It's so right on. Just think how easily another coach would won the last 3 Final Five's of the old WCHA.....including thes senior class's freshman year when they couldn't field a full roster.

Winning the conference tournament, yippee. We saw last night how much those tourneys mean. Nothing. Fun for fans and that's about it.

I almost think they put too much value in the old Final Five. Seemed lethargic coming out if it.