SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. ST. CLOUD STATE - Fri @ 4:08

The Exiled One

"Luck" would even out over time. UND has been absolutely CURSED for the last 15 years. It's becoming a statistical anomaly that they keep getting to the NCAA's but fail to win it all.

I still have hope for this year. But, with the loss of Mac, and the epic fail today, I just don't know.

True....but my fingers are still crossed. In a one and done format anything can happen.

"Luck" would even out over time.  UND has been absolutely CURSED for the last 15 years.   It's becoming a statistical anomaly that they keep getting to the NCAA's but fail to win it all. 

I still have hope for this year.  But, with the loss of Mac, and the epic fail today, I just don't know.

It was also a statistical anomaly then that they won 7 as fast as they did.  We've won 7 of 20 "Frozen Four" appearances.  

UND has had a mix of bad luck, bad performances, and just losing to better teams.  No matter which option, losing sucks.  In the short-term, we are due for a title.  In the long-term, however, we have won our fair share.

• Upvote 1

What did everyone think of Jordan Schmaltz tonight? While I haven't voiced it here, I think he has been one of the laziest players this year. My favorite player to criticize last year was Mattson, mainly because of mistakes that'd he make. This year it has become JS, due to his effort and the mistakes he's been making. The empty net play, he just completely gave up and gave the SCSU player the shot.

If he continues to play the way he has, he could seriously hurt our chances at winning a title this year. None the less, make an NHL roster.

What did everyone think of Jordan Schmaltz tonight? While I haven't voiced it here, I think he has been one of the laziest players this year. My favorite player to criticize last year was Mattson, mainly because of mistakes that'd he make. This year it has become JS, due to his effort and the mistakes he's been making. The empty net play, he just completely gave up and gave the SCSU player the shot.

If he continues to play the way he has, he could seriously hurt our chances at winning a title this year. None the less, make an NHL roster.

I noticed that too when I watched the highlights.

A guy next to me in the bar I was watching at (that I know is just a casual hockey fan) commented almost exactly what you said.

New lines for sat. Game, what could possibly happen.

29-9-27

14-13-21

15-8-28

22-10-11

Poolman goes to D and Jordan S takes seat in the press box, you don't give your all you sit.

I agree with that sentiment, though the likelihood of seeing JS take a seat is way low.I know Haks looked incredibly pissed after the empty netter, but I don't think he was that upset.

So need purple nurples to lose + a win OR tie vs rocky Mountain dive team to regain the #1 spot and face the muffin puffers game 1.

Other wise it's Michigan or Minnesota.

If Michigan and Minnesota both end up 4 seeds Minnesota will be in Fargo.

So any body know if we drop today's game and then drop tomorrow's game, how far will we drop out of the pairwise, and the chances of being bounced out of the western regional?

Chances of being bounced out of the western regional? LOL!

BC, Quinnipiac, Omaha, UMD, Denver, and North Dakota. No shot of winning the NCAA's? Really?

UND needed to go into the tournament on a roll like Yale was on two years ago too, right?

No personal offense, but we need a ledge or bridge for apologists who continue to say UND is fine, even with all the epic fails of the last decade plus, IMO.  For cryin' out loud, UND had TJ Oshie and J. Toews ON THE SAME LINE (with Porter and VandeVelde on line #2) and still failed to win a Natty.

All some of us are saying is - when the hell is the drought going to end?

I'm not too upset about this game as I would rather have gotten it out of the way now instead of next weekend.  Plus winning 8 in a row (and 9 out of 10) is never easy and that's what we would have to have done in order to win it all this weekend as well as #8.   Winning 5 in a row will be much easier.   :D

However, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your post OETKB.  It's astonishing that so many people on SS just CAN'T FATHOM how a fan(atic) of this team could be getting sick and damn tired of the choke jobs this team has pulled off in the last decade plus.  Or how we won't accept "being there" as a consolation prize. 

Some of us want a DAMN TITLE.  It's been 15 years for god sakes.  And to have a program rich in history and tradition like UND has and to have the best players more often than not in the entire country, but come up short year after year (and usually in horrific fashion) is getting pretty old.

Meanwhile the "flagship" program down south wins year after year after year after year.  How about our "flagship" program does something for once?  2000 was quite awhile ago.  

The response from the clowns?  "We could be Alaska Anchorage!  I bet their fans would LOVE to trade places with us!"   And for those people, I don't even have the time or energy to explain how silly you are. 

Again, GREAT POST man!  And again, I'm hoping/guessing tonight was just a road bump.  But we BETTER take care of business next weekend!  

GO SIOUX!

• Upvote 4

I'm not too upset about this game as I would rather have gotten it out of the way now instead of next weekend. Plus winning 8 in a row (and 9 out of 10) is never easy and that's what we would have to have done in order to win it all this weekend as well as #8. Winning 5 in a row will be much easier. :D

However, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your post OETKB. It's astonishing that so many people on SS just CAN'T FATHOM how a fan(atic) of this team could be getting sick and damn tired of the choke jobs this team has pulled off in the last decade plus. Or how we won't accept "being there" as a consolation prize.

Some of us want a DAMN TITLE. It's been 15 years for god sakes. And to have a program rich in history and tradition like UND has and to have the best players more often than not in the entire country, but come up short year after year (and usually in horrific fashion) is getting pretty old.

Meanwhile the "flagship" program down south wins year after year after year after year. How about our "flagship" program does something for once? 2000 was quite awhile ago.

The response from the clowns? "We could be Alaska Anchorage! I bet their fans would LOVE to trade places with us!" And for those people, I don't even have the time or energy to explain how silly you are.

Again, GREAT POST man! And again, I'm hoping/guessing tonight was just a road bump. But we BETTER take care of business next weekend!

GO SIOUX!

Nothing against you beebs but the "better take care of business" is getting so old to hear with this team. Pucks to the net, hot goalie, bad ice, bad bounce, whiffing on the puck, dump and chase. Seems like all a team has to do is score a couple goals and play defence the rest of the game, i dont get it. Does hak just get out coached or is it the players, could be lazy play, Zane(a hobey finalist) letting in softies and no im not putting all the blame on him. Jordan Schmaltz, a FIRST ROUNDER, making really bad passes. I dont understand this team. They did not look even close to the #1 team in the nation tonight. I dont really know where i was going with this, i think i just needed to vent. hakstol has 2 years to win a natty i think otherwise he breaks the longest streak for UND not winning one. Just frustrated!

• Upvote 1

We lost our first line center for the year...a senior...a top scorer...a pivot who plays in all situations...a great face-off guy...

I don't think we're the best team in the country...imagine any of the great Sioux championship teams without their top center...they don't win a natty. Its that simple to me, and the reason I am not too upset.  

15 years sucks, but it speaks to parity, and this year, it speaks to injury.

We lost our first line center for the year...a senior...a top scorer...a pivot who plays in all situations...a great face-off guy...

I don't think we're the best team in the country...imagine any of the great Sioux championship teams without their top center...they don't win a natty. Its that simple to me, and the reason I am not too upset.  

I can't argue with the importance of the loss of Mac.  That was a big time loss.

But, the sloppy, lack of focus type crap that we saw tonight was not acceptable.   Hak was furious in the post-game comments, as well should he be (practically screaming "it's playoff time!").  His team failed to show up tonight.  Not the first time that has happened.

Everyone, meet this years excuse.  ^^^^^^^^^^  Was waiting to see what it would be - prepping a little early for this years big-game loss aren't you?

Everyone, meet this years excuse.  ^^^^^^^^^^  Was waiting to see what it would be - prepping a little early for this years big-game loss aren't you?

No kidding. One man doesn't make a team. MacMillan said it himself. Sounds like someone is having a built-in excuse ready to use.

UND can beat anyone. ANYONE. They have to get their collective !@#$ together. If they do that, I know this team can go far.

Love Mark Mac, but he's not Kevin Maxwell, Troy Murray, Mark Taylor, Tony Hrkac, Zach Parise, Travis Zajak, or Jonathon Teows. This team is all about depth and effort. We don't have much skill up front like that. We have will up front and lots of skill in the back end. I'll tell you this... 8 and 24 better show up with more will or we are are trouble!

I'll tell you this... 8 and 24 better show up with more will or we are are trouble!

This...this is the correct answer with potentially 5 games left on a run to #8. I have been waiting...patiently... all season to see both or even one to say "I'm way too talented to not be a dominant force for this hockey team" and show it on the ice. And make no mistake that 9 can not continue his level of play as is either.

1980 NCAA champion lost Taylor before the final game( before Hobey baker that he would have won) and that team didn't miss a beat. Other then a goalie all these pieces are or should be interchangable. Hak needs to find the right combos and if he has any passengers then make them sit and let people play who will give it all, cough cough # 24.