SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU/SDSU

niouxsiouxfan

A Twin Cities perspective:

The mindshare that UND has lost to NDSU in MSP in the last decade is staggering.  Football and basketball success, better marketing, and to a degree the realignment of collegiate hockey, amongest other things have created a perfect s--tstorm.  On the campus life front, NDSU is also eating UND's lunch with the campus tours, residence halls, etc.  Wilkerson hasn't changed in 25 years from the sound of it.  We are in dire need of leadership right now.  

under-construction_wilkerson.jpg

Coming soon... http://und.edu/features/2014/08/under-construction.cfm

• Upvote 1

Honestly, what is your point? Whether it's because of great coaching, underrated players, or just plain old luck. NDSU is in the big dance for the second year in a row, and will reap the publicity and recruiting benefits that come with it.

Whining about it isn't going to help UND make up lost ground.

If that was the case, we would be a 8 seed in the dance this year.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't know. I lived in the better complex...the Walsh Quad. :D

Potential students walk away from UND thinking, "what a dump". This is from multiple sources.

Really? I like the campus up there. Nice and traditional looking. Was also up there on Saturday and that dining center appears to be getting remodeled.

Really? I like the campus up there. Nice and traditional looking. Was also up there on Saturday and that dining center appears to be getting remodeled.

Sounds like the Wilkerson issue is being addressed...otherwise yes it's a beautiful campus.  

Wilkerson is getting remodeled.  I would hope the next thing on the list is memorial union.  NDSU and SDSU have much nicer student unions...  Anyway, beyond the dining center and student union, I'd agree, the campus is quite nice.  

Yeah see that nice new aerospace tower building being built? New med school right on Gateway. Nice looking alumni center just built. Beautiful sky walks with university of north dakota written on them. Driving on 42nd by the black glass aerspace/entrpreneurship is a timeless beauty. Anything but a dump.

Driven through NDSU many times. Nothing says wow thats nice...maybe there wellness center.

I have a problem with UNDs mediocrity. I just don't blame it on NDSU. At least not directly.

Its like a bunch of nerds/overweight guys (division 2) sitting at a table when all of a sudden one guy (NDSU) declares, "Im gonna lose weight and talk to hot chicks." While the other kids (UND and USD) laugh, ridicule, and say "yeah right whatever. Good luck (rolls eyes)".

They are dating the cheerleader. UND is on the treadmill.

UND inability to lead ("its ok we have hockey") has put themselves in this situation.

These things start to change the culture of an institution. NDSU football won back to back FCS championships with two different coaches. NDSU men's basketball went to back to back NCAA tournament appearances with two different coaches.

These things don't happen overnight. Its been over a decade in the making.

I don't blame NDSU for wanting to better themselves and then blame that for why I can't date a cheerleader.

Having a strong NDSU pushes UND to do better.

How UND decides to react is up to it fans and administration. (Where's the Betty's video board? - this is a microcosm of the differences).

Unfortunately this sums up the difference between UND and NDSU.  NDSU had a vision for moving to DI, worked hard, and saw their vision realized.  They deserve all of the accolades they are getting because they had a plan and executed it.  

On the other hand, our University did not...at least from my perspective and alot of the general publics perspective.  We dragged our feet when the idea of moving DI first came about.  After realizing that we would be left behind, we decided to move up.  However, every part of the transition, from hiring coaches, to scheduling, to what our talking heads were saying to the media about the move, seemed disjointed with everyone on a different page.  Granted we had the nickname issue hanging over us, but again, we were late to the party on that and should have been more proactive with building relationships with the tribes.  It seems as though our Atheltic department reacts to what NDSU and other regional Universities are doing, rather than being proactive.  Just my .02 cents...

• Upvote 2

I am not blaming the hockey program itself, I am blaming UND's administration and athletic department for only caring about hockey and putting all non-hockey sports on the back-burner when it comes to allocating resources, marketing and so on. I am proud of our hockey program and I am a season ticket holder in REA. But I am also a season ticket holder for FB in the Alerus Center and if Bubba gets treated like a red-headed stepchild like Lennon was, he will struggle to take the program where he wants to take it.

That is what I was criticizing.

I am in full agreement with this opinion, as I myself am both a hockey and football season ticket holder. The explicit difference in support between hockey and football/basketball is downright idiotic.

Wouldn't know. I lived in the better complex...the Walsh Quad.   :D

Potential students walk away from UND thinking, "what a dump".  This is from multiple sources.  

Interesting. When I went to school in the late 80's there was no comparison over which Campus was nicer and had a better "feel" to it. NDSU seemed kind of barren. Over the last 20 years or so I think the NDSU campus has matured to the point where it is almost on par with UND.

Not sure how this got to be a construction thread; however:

Summary of projects from the GF Herald: http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/3659153-construction-still-ongoing-und-first-project-expected-be-completed-fall

A summary from UND: http://und.edu/features/2014/08/under-construction.cfm

The Projects ongoing:

Med School: http://www.med.und.edu/construction/

Law School: http://law.und.edu/build/

Wilkerson was already mentioned.

The Indoor Training Facility. 

Proposed

The Collaborative Energy Complex is close to starting construction. 

The proposed new tower out at Aerospace was mentioned. 

The Gorecki Alumni Center is up and running. 

The UND campus core tries to stay traditional Gothic architecture. The campus periphery (e.g. CAS) goes more modern.

To say it is unpleasant to the eye has me referring whomever to the optometrist. 

Interesting. When I went to school in the late 80's there was no comparison over which Campus was nicer and had a better "feel" to it. NDSU seemed kind of barren. Over the last 20 years or so I think the NDSU campus has matured to the point where it is almost on par with UND.

To me the NDSU campus has never, and still not today, felt like a campus but moreso a bunch of happenstance buildings in north Fargo. If feels like an office park with a bunch of disparate buildings. 

UND has a theme to its architecture. It has a traditional (old east coast) campus feel. 

• Upvote 1

Fargo versus Grand Forks is not much of a comparison in my opinion and is a huge recruiting advantage in NDSU's favor my opinion. There has been multiple past football players and basketball players from out of state who have been quoted in the past saying they were surprised at how large Fargo was and how much it had going on and helped in influencing their decision to come.

I know personally that played a huge role in why I picked NDSU. Could not stomach the thought of living in Grand Forks.

Fargo versus Grand Forks is not much of a comparison in my opinion and is a huge recruiting advantage in my opinion.

Really?  You are over estimating Fargo...and I live there. 

For a kid coming from MSP or Chicago...makes no difference.  A huge step down community wise either way.

For a kid coming from Rhame, ND or Fesseden, ND...makes no difference. A huge step up community wise either way.

Really? You are over estimating Fargo...and I live there.

For a kid coming from MSP or Chicago...makes no difference. A huge step down community wise either way.

For a kid coming from Rhame, ND or Fesseden, ND...makes no difference. A huge step up community wise either way.

Just saying what has been said by multiple recruits. Is it MSP? No, but has a heck of a lot more going on than Grand Forks does.

If Grand Forks is on equal footing as Fargo, why do so many UND grads move to Fargo?

Fargo versus Grand Forks is not much of a comparison in my opinion and is a huge recruiting advantage in NDSU's favor my opinion. There has been multiple past football players and basketball players from out of state who have been quoted in the past saying they were surprised at how large Fargo was and how much it had going on and helped in influencing their decision to come.

I know personally that played a huge role in why I picked NDSU. Could not stomach the thought of living in Grand Forks.

As a town I don't mind living in Grand Forks, I enjoy the greenway, UND sports and an occasional night out on the town.  I just don't like the mentality of the people and probably more specifically, the city officials.  They seem to be anti-development.  They don't go out of their way to welcome new business and industry into town.   I'm not sure if there truly is a "GOBC" in town, but at times there sure seems like it.  The biggest dilema the City Council seems to be working on right now has to do with extreme drink specials.  There are many other issues I would like to see our elected officials worry about other than drink specials at a privately run business, or making sure SpringFest doesn't happen.  Much like the UND athletic department, GF officials seem content with the status quo...at least on the business side of things.

Really? You are over estimating Fargo...and I live there.

For a kid coming from MSP or Chicago...makes no difference. A huge step down community wise either way.

Fessenden? I'll ask my mother how they felt growing up. I'm with you though. Can't imagine it makes a difference

To me the NDSU campus has never, and still not today, felt like a campus but moreso a bunch of happenstance buildings in north Fargo. If feels like an office park with a bunch of disparate buildings. 

UND has a theme to its architecture. It has a traditional (old east coast) campus feel. 

It's certainly true that NDSU got short-changed 100 years ago when the core of its historic campus was being built. Think of what it might look like now had Minard, Ceres, South Engineering, and other on-campus buildings been built in the style of Old Main, which, in my opinion, is a very striking building.

Oh well, can't worry about the politics and esthetics of the past.

Just saying what has been said by multiple recruits. Is it MSP? No, but has a heck of a lot more going on than Grand Forks does.

If Grand Forks is on equal footing as Fargo, why do so many UND grads move to Fargo?

To your last question..................to bump up the overall IQ of this city! ;)

• Upvote 1