SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU/SDSU

niouxsiouxfan

That green/yellow is ugly in the NFL and even worse in NCAA basketball. Its even worse seeing them in the Championship again

Careful or you'll be told that it doesn't matter what NDSU does or doesn't do and that it is totally irrelevant to UND because they are in a different conference. :silly:  :whistling:

Seriously, I agree with you.  The more the Thundering Turds win, the harder it will be for our program to gain any sort of traction.

Bison is dancing with FIRST year coach while we sit in the basement with 9th year HC Brian Jones. We know the ND media will be gushing all over Bison basketball again while some people in the state wonder if we have a team. Atta boy Jones/Faison....way to sink the program!!

Bison is dancing with FIRST year coach while we sit in the basement with 9th year HC Brian Jones. We know the ND media will be gushing all over Bison basketball again while some people in the state wonder if we have a team. Atta boy Jones/Faison....way to sink the program!!

Don't be so harsh; in Faison's ripe age he tends to forget from time to time that UND has football and basketball programs. Gotta love Faison and his new found college hockey specialities....

No worries, darell, the UND Titanic is sink-proof!

NDSU is gonna win. I guess that means UND will be worse than they would have been had NDSU lost.

You must really suck at chess because you are not seeing the whole board.  Every time NDSU does something like this, ESPN starts slobbering over them (again).  The in-state media machine they have built [KFGO and the insufferable Scott "My Oh My" Miller, WDAY (UND's so-called "flagship" station) and KVLY (still annoying even without Jamal Spencer's insufferable brownnosing of NDSU)] will be kicked into overdrive (again).  And every causal sports fan and potential future basketball/football prospect will be watching all this and will probably forget that UND is even classified as Division I in all sports.  So yes, to answer your sarcastic, smarmy little comment, we are worse off because NDSU won tonight. :angry:

• Upvote 1

Last year, NDSU had four legitimately good players. This year, there's Alexander and...who exactly? Which means that Richman did one heck of a job.

Jacobson will probably a POY for the Slummit before he's done.

Richman appears to be an upgrade over Phillips, as Ohio struggled in the MAC.

ORU, IPFW, and Denver should be the powers in the Slummit. They pulled a Weber St this year though.

You just named all stations based in Fargo, the hometown of NDSU. So that's nothing new. Nothing one can do GF doesn't even have their own weekend news casts.

This isnt D2 football competing for North Dakota farm boys anymore. UND has one player from North Dakota. NDSU has two. UND and NDSU rarely compete for the same basketball players.

How far is the distance that matters? Is the Gopher Hockey team concerned because UND is #1 in the country? Minnesota was better than UND last year. Doesn't seem to matter much to the Gophers this year.

You just named all stations based in Fargo, the hometown of NDSU. So that's nothing new.

This isnt D2 football competing for North Dakota farm boys anymore. UND has one player from North Dakota.

How far is the distance that matters? Is the Gopher Hockey team concerned because UND is #1 in the country? Minnesota was better than UND last year. Doesn't seem to matter much to the Gophers this year.

It isn't about where they are based, it's the state and region-wide reach they have.  KVLY is the NBC affiliate for the entire eastern third of North Dakota, KFGO has a strong signal that carries well into Minnesota, South Dakota and even the southern prairie provinces of Canada.  WDAY is a shell of what they used to be, but they still have some pull in North Dakota media circles, especially since they are owned by Forum Communications, which owns a lot of newspapers across the region.

Minneapolis-St. Paul is 300 miles away and in a totally different media universe with professional teams sucking up a lot of media attention.  Meanwhile, Imperial Cass-Clay County is just 80 miles away, has no major league professional sports teams and thus can focus all their resources on NDSU.  So that is apples and oranges right there.

Nice try, please play again.

• Upvote 1

So your saying advance NDSU again?

Idaho complains about the same thing with Boise State.

If you really think NDSU's success, coupled with our mediocrity (not to mention an apathetic attitude towards that mediocrity) isn't a problem, then you are simply not paying attention.

But if you want to continue believing that, go right on ahead.  At least you will sleep well. :silly:

You just named all stations based in Fargo, the hometown of NDSU. So that's nothing new. Nothing one can do GF doesn't even have their own weekend news casts.

This isnt D2 football competing for North Dakota farm boys anymore. UND has one player from North Dakota. NDSU has two. UND and NDSU rarely compete for the same basketball players.

Last time I checked, NDSU gets a lot of their linemen (both offensive and defensive) for their four-time defending FCS championship FB team from the upper Midwest (North Dakota, Minnesota).  And the fact that we are not competing for the same basketball players should bother you if you look at their success and our continued mediocrity and increasing irrelevance.

I am so sick of the Bison already.   Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah.  I'd really, really like to know how they do it.   I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet.   I would say they are a #14 seed, and with their luck, they'll win their first game in the tournament too.   And of course, this is all you will hear for the 2 or 3 weeks.   It's to the point I'm glad they didn't start a hockey team last fall, they'd probably win a title in that too.   Just sick of this bs, just fed up.   

• Upvote 2

I am so sick of the Bison already.   Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah.  I'd really, really like to know how they do it.   I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet.   I would say they are a #14 seed, and with their luck, they'll win their first game in the tournament too.   And of course, this is all you will hear for the 2 or 3 weeks.   It's to the point I'm glad they didn't start a hockey team last fall, they'd probably win a title in that too.   Just sick of this bs, just fed up.   

It isn't luck, it's having an athletic department and an administration that values and demands excellence in whatever sport they have chosen to sponsor.  The sort of mediocrity with our MBB team would not be tolerated at NDSU.  Triple the intolerance level for FB.  Craig Bohl would probably have lost his job if he didn't pull off the quick turnaround after the 3-8 debacle in 2009.  In Grand Forks, he would have gotten a contract extension and way too much rope to hang himself and the program with.

This hockey-only attitude might have worked in Division II, but it simply will not cut it in Division I.  If Bubba doesn't get what he needs in the next couple of years, if Brewster doesn't get what he needs in the next couple of years, if Jones is allowed to continue burying the MBB program in mediocrity, this sorry state of affairs will continue, if not get worse.

As Scott Miller would say, "My oh My!" :angry:  :sad:  ???

• Upvote 1

This is what happens when your athletic department does not focus on niche sports.

I will never get sick of posts like this. 

If you really think NDSU's success, coupled with our mediocrity (not to mention an apathetic attitude towards that mediocrity) isn't a problem, then you are simply not paying attention.

But if you want to continue believing that, go right on ahead.  At least you will sleep well. :silly:

I have a problem with UNDs mediocrity. I just don't blame it on NDSU. At least not directly.

Its like a bunch of nerds/overweight guys (division 2) sitting at a table when all of a sudden one guy (NDSU) declares, "Im gonna lose weight and talk to hot chicks." While the other kids (UND and USD) laugh, ridicule, and say "yeah right whatever. Good luck (rolls eyes)".

They are dating the cheerleader. UND is on the treadmill.

UND inability to lead ("its ok we have hockey") has put themselves in this situation.

These things start to change the culture of an institution. NDSU football won back to back FCS championships with two different coaches. NDSU men's basketball went to back to back NCAA tournament appearances with two different coaches.

These things don't happen overnight. Its been over a decade in the making.

I don't blame NDSU for wanting to better themselves and then blame that for why I can't date a cheerleader.

Having a strong NDSU pushes UND to do better.

How UND decides to react is up to it fans and administration. (Where's the Betty's video board? - this is a microcosm of the differences).