SiouxSports.com Forum

EARLY Departures 2015

AZSIOUX

Was is Melrose or Buccigross with the murder of Drakes name? Seemed almost on purpose by my ear. Do you suppose Barry Melrose is aware of the flak he catches on SS.com and lets it taint his broadcasting repertoire, his disdain for college hockey I could see it being like that.

I swear I also heard Zane referred to as "Zack McIntyre" and "Zane McIntosh" on two different occasions.  It's one thing to generally not know the name of a college hockey player off the top of your head.  It's another when you're broadcasting the frozen four and can't correctly pronounce the names of one team's leading goal scorer (Cajulia) and their hobey hat trick finalist and richter award winning goalie.

That's the kind of Busch league announcing one would expect when listening to an AM radio broadcast of a local high school basketball game.

Mal-prose, I mean, Melrose, is a joke.

• Upvote 1

I swear I also heard Zane referred to as "Zack McIntyre" and "Zane McIntosh" on two different occasions.  It's one thing to generally not know the name of a college hockey player off the top of your head.  It's another when you're broadcasting the frozen four and can't correctly pronounce the names of one team's leading goal scorer (Cajulia) and their hobey hat trick finalist and richter award winning goalie.

That's the kind of Busch league announcing one would expect when listening to an AM radio broadcast of a local high school basketball game.

Mal-prose, I mean, Melrose, is a joke.

Yes, he was definitely Zack McIntyre at one point lol.

Agreed. The pronunciation guide is ON THE FREAKIN' LINE CHART! Ughh lol.

Yes, he was definitely Zack McIntyre at one point lol.

Agreed. The pronunciation guide is ON THE FREAKIN' LINE CHART! Ughh lol.

What about Connor St. Clair? At least there you could say they confused two players names.
  • Upvote 1

I would doubt that they did.  The 3 scouts were:

Jukka Holtari - European head scout

Denis Leblanc - based out of Quebec

Mike Chiarelli - Peter Chiarelli's brother

From what I hear, the one was in charge of Ontario.  Not to far from Ontario to GF or TRF.  If Zane played in any traveling hockey teams pre USHL, he may have played at a tourney in Ont.?

From what I hear, the one was in charge of Ontario.  Not to far from Ontario to GF or TRF.  If Zane played in any traveling hockey teams pre USHL, he may have played at a tourney in Ont.?

I hope all the turmoil going on in Boston is good news for us "greedy" fans out here. I would love to see Zane come back!

You are so right about the pronunciation. I used to do play by play for a local high school at one of those stations.  On my first night in town, I had a game to do, the next morning I got a call from 3 family members of one of the players saying I slaughtered his last name.  Lesson learned.  One of the lessons I learned from behind the scenes was, ask the player how it is pronounced if in doubt.  Then write it our phonetically. Ca Jewel ia.  Bucci isn't going anywhere and it is a crying shame that he isn't.  The guy is a one trick pony. 

I thought I read somewhere that in his last contract with ESPN he had them put in the Frozen Four gig or he wouldn't sign it... not sure if that was true or not

I thought I read somewhere that in his last contract with ESPN he had them put in the Frozen Four gig or he wouldn't sign it... not sure if that was true or not

It was something along those lines, he wanted to do more hockey play-by-play or he'd leave ESPN. He's annoying during hokey games and Sportscenter, the good thing with him still at ESPN is he's not doing NHL games but he'll be doing The World Cup of Hockey when that starts.

It must be sort of a generational thing... Everyone I know that's my age loves Buccigross.  Sure he is different, but he for sure doesn't drone on like some of the other major hockey announcers.  I would rather listen to him mix it up than hear Pierre McGuire tell me where every single guy played peewee hockey twice a game.

I would also take Bucci over Matvick any day.  At least Buccigross can stay neutral even if he talks about one team more than another.  With Matvick everything was North Dakota's fault during the regionals. 

It must be sort of a generational thing... Everyone I know that's my age loves Buccigross. Sure he is different, but he for sure doesn't drone on like some of the other major hockey announcers. I would rather listen to him mix it up than hear Pierre McGuire tell me where every single guy played peewee hockey twice a game.

I would also take Bucci over Matvick any day. At least Buccigross can stay neutral even if he talks about one team more than another. With Matvick everything was North Dakota's fault during the regionals.

I'm in college and have not ran into a single person who enjoyed his broadcast. I do enjoy him on Twitter and even on sports center but he is just not right for the play by play.

• Upvote 3

It must be sort of a generational thing... Everyone I know that's my age loves Buccigross.  Sure he is different, but he for sure doesn't drone on like some of the other major hockey announcers.  I would rather listen to him mix it up than hear Pierre McGuire tell me where every single guy played peewee hockey twice a game.

I would also take Bucci over Matvick any day.  At least Buccigross can stay neutral even if he talks about one team more than another.  With Matvick everything was North Dakota's fault during the regionals. 

He does drone on during every game, he'll stop his play-by-play and talk about something random while play is still going on. Matvick, Holden, and the guys from Hockey East/NESN were way better then Buccigross is.

• Upvote 1

Are you listening to the same guy?  I mean I'm 28 so not super far away from college(although now that I think about it I kind of am) but BUccigross(see what I did there) had a mega Eichel-boner in the semifinals and was outwardly ecstatic when BU clinched the game with the ENG.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Are you listening to the same guy?  I mean I'm 28 so not super far away from college(although now that I think about it I kind of am) but BUccigross(see what I did there) had a mega Eichel-boner in the semifinals and was outwardly ecstatic when BU clinched the game with the ENG.

Eichel-boner. Hahaha.

Overall I like Bucci. He does a great job promoting college hockey (or cawlidge hawkey as he says), and he at least brings enthusiasm to his calls. Now on the other hand, I agree, he was practically cheering for BU at times during the broadcast and constantly drooling over Eichel on Twitter and during his in studio visit leading up to the game. 

I challenge you to find one announcer that wouldn't have talked about Eichel all game.  He was the biggest name in college hockey this year so of course they are going to talk about them.  Buccigross did get excited when they won just like he gets excited about everything.  He even said after the game that we were the better team that night and that he loves how we play.

I would rather have a Buccigross broadcast that isn't a cookie-cutter presentation every single time than listen to the same cut-and-paste broadcast that guys like Joe Buck give.  You honestly never know what the guy is going to talk about next.

• Upvote 2

I think Matvick does a great job, and if I recall correctly there were gopher fans several years ago critical that he was a UND homer during a regional in Grand Forks.  My memory could be wrong on that, but I've always thought Matvick does a nice job.

How can anyone complain about Pierre M? He promotes college hockey in general and gives props to a named player and states the college he went to! I think that is huge for college hockey! All while broadcasting on national TV during an NHL game!

Easily. He does give good props but his interview skills are awefull.