SiouxSports.com Forum

EARLY Departures 2015

AZSIOUX

Red might be close to 70, but he does know his hockey. He did spend 17 years in the NHL. I don't have a problem with what he said. You're also getting the reporter's spin on it, too. But he's right, how many players go right from college to the NHL. Very few players are ready like Toews and Parise were.

You think Shayne Gostisbehere perhaps wishes he'd have come back for his senior year?

Red might be close to 70, but he does know his hockey. He did spend 17 years in the NHL. I don't have a problem with what he said. You're also getting the reporter's spin on it, too. But he's right, how many playes go right from college to the NHL. Very few players are ready like Toews and Parise were. 

Red seems to get more cranky all the time.  I wonder how much of a competitive disadvantage / recruiting disadvantage that's becoming.   Coaches are put in an enormous position of trust, and as an athlete I'd like a balanced view from my coach.

Maybe there's reasons other than Mel Pearson's departure that Michigan hasn't made the NCAA's in a long time...

Red might be close to 70, but he does know his hockey. He did spend 17 years in the NHL. I don't have a problem with what he said. You're also getting the reporter's spin on it, too. But he's right, how many playes go right from college to the NHL. Very few players are ready like Toews and Parise were.

What spin? Only way to spin a direct quote is with implication. Red made his point very clear.

Him having a lot of experience doesn't give him the right to be a jerk.

• Upvote 1

What spin? Only way to spin a direct quote is with implication. Red made his point very clear.

I was just about to say that. No spin on direct quotes. Red is probably right, but publicly you wish your guy luck and move on. Sour grapes.

Guy needs to retire. He's reaching.

I guess I didn't see it as bad as some did. Granted, it's a different era now. I have been told by some that Red is kind of a grumpy guy. Maybe that's just his demeanor. 

Even Parise didn't go straight to the show...although that was likely lock-out driven.

I think Red is frustrated that he just lost a key contributor for his team next year and realizes its going to be tough to return to winning ways.  Its the nature of the college hockey landscape.  I think that Red is probably correct, but at the same time I agree with the posters here saying you just keep it to yourself.

Even Parise didn't go straight to the show...although that was likely lock-out driven.

I think Red is frustrated that he just lost a key contributor for his team next year and realizes its going to be tough to return to winning ways. Its the nature of the college hockey landscape. I think that Red is probably correct, but at the same time I agree with the posters here saying you just keep it to yourself.

Praise has been on record saying he wishes he'd returned for his junior season...because of the lockout I'm sure

I think Red is frustrated that he just lost a key contributor for his team next year and realizes its going to be tough to return to winning ways.  Its the nature of the college hockey landscape.  I think that Red is probably correct, but at the same time I agree with the posters here saying you just keep it to yourself.

He probably would have, if there wasn't a lockout.

Praise has been on record saying he wishes he'd returned for his junior season...because of the lockout I'm sure

I remember hearing that by signing right before the lockout he was able to secure a larger signing bonus than he would've been eligible for after the lockout.  Not sure if there was truth to it or not though.

I remember hearing that by signing right before the lockout he was able to secure a larger signing bonus than he would've been eligible for after the lockout.  Not sure if there was truth to it or not though.

Correct.  He got in on the old CBA and only the contract he has now makes that money not worth it.  ($99mm)

I guess I didn't see it as bad as some did. Granted, it's a different era now. I have been told by some that Red is kind of a grumpy guy. Maybe that's just his demeanor. 

Totally agree.  I think Red is just being straighter than many in these boys lives.  No one is telling them, many people are lying to them.  There was that article in the Star Tribune (I think) a few months back about how many "guys in the know" are out there, telling these parents they need their kid in such and such league or on this team.  That leads these parents to be a poor help sometimes as well.

If you REALLY have the goods, the money will be there

If one kid ever said, I need to get the cash now, as I can get hurt tomorrow, I totally get that. But that is one of the tactics the Advisors are using to get paid in the interim. 

If Zane said, "My grandma wanted me to get my degree," Boston would still make an offer after his last game next year.  Kristo/Knight/Schmaltz boys, same thing.

Guys like Hextall/Gregoire, they need to strike while the iron is hot and get the money. 

That is where I consider the "offers" we all fear so much.  Guys like Finley/Blood/etc. recently, they/we all knew AHL buses were all they were going to see and their support group was lying to them to make them +consider/us worry+ leave early. 

Also, Please do not use Parise, or Towes as counter points, they are Exceptions.  Oshie/Stafford you can sway me either way on their last year, but they still would have been fine if they had finished at UND. Proof is there in the results.

Edited by MoreSiouxForYou

Pretty hard for college programs to complain about the pros preying on college age kids when colleges are recruiting kids who are still teething. 

That said, I agree a lot of kids are making a mistake by leaving early. 

I don't know.  I think I agree with Red.  Add Mike Crowley of the Gophers to the long list of players that left too early only to languish in various minor leagues or in Europe.  I think Bryan Lundbohm and Ryan Bayda were two one such Sioux players who did likewise.  With Bayda, I think the 2003 team does not lose to Ferris State and makes a serious run at #8.