SiouxSports.com Forum

EARLY Departures 2015

AZSIOUX

The issue is that as a UDFA, sometimes you have to sign while you can, especially if its a good offer. No guarantees those same offers will be there next year for a variety of reasons (performance, injury, etc). Chances are you end up in the minors somewhere, but you have a contract and a chance. Those aren't guaranteed if you come back to school.

This is exactly what I was getting at.

The issue is that as a UDFA, sometimes you have to sign while you can, especially if its a good offer.  No guarantees those same offers will be there next year for a variety of reasons (performance, injury, etc).  Chances are you end up in the minors somewhere, but you have a contract and a chance.  Those aren't guaranteed if you come back to school.

Kind of a double edged sword , the risk you run here I guess, when guys like this have outstanding years and could essentially play themselves right off the team and into a contract.

The issue is that as a UDFA, sometimes you have to sign while you can, especially if its a good offer.  No guarantees those same offers will be there next year for a variety of reasons (performance, injury, etc).  Chances are you end up in the minors somewhere, but you have a contract and a chance.  Those aren't guaranteed if you come back to school.

Duncan was a pretty good example of this.  I was a bit surprised he stayed for his senior year, knowing his point production would drop significantly.

• Upvote 1

Duncan was a pretty good example of this.  I was a bit surprised he stayed for his senior year, knowing his point production would drop significantly.

I don't see this being an issue with Stecher.  The chances of him putting far superior numbers next are significantly higher.  With people like Boeser, Wilkie, Gersich and improvement from others, I would bet our powerplay will be much improved and I am sure Stecher could be a huge part of that.  With continued development Stecher should easily raise his 3 goals and 10 assists from this year and possibly substantially,  plus continue improving defensively.

You're correct. Went back to last year's list, and there are a slew of juniors. I'm hard pressed to find a sophomore who's made the jump as an UDFA though. Even guys like DeKeyser and Sustr were juniors.

I'd be curious if there have been any recent sophomore undrafted signees. Anyone know of any?

Folin?

I don't see this being an issue with Stecher.  The chances of him putting far superior numbers next are significantly higher.  With people like Boeser, Wilkie, Gersich and improvement from others, I would bet our powerplay will be much improved and I am sure Stecher could be a huge part of that.  With continued development Stecher should easily raise his 3 goals and 10 assists from this year and possibly substantially,  plus continue improving defensively.

Oh I completely agree.  I just used Duncan as an example of sometimes it's smart to jump when you can.

I don't see this being an issue with Stecher. The chances of him putting far superior numbers next are significantly higher. With people like Boeser, Wilkie, Gersich and improvement from others, I would bet our powerplay will be much improved and I am sure Stecher could be a huge part of that. With continued development Stecher should easily raise his 3 goals and 10 assists from this year and possibly substantially, plus continue improving defensively.

Drake, Boeser, N.Schmaltz, Stecher and Poolman as a defensman on the PP, theres goosbumps!!!!

According to Brad- Stech and Cags have offers on the table.

One would have to assume they would get offers, they were UDFAs.  Hopefully they know what's best for them and stay.  Caggs needs a dominate year offensively before he leaves...he needs a season where he averages a point per game. 

As far as stetcher, I would guess the AHL would be easier for him than Caggs (given his super motor and complete level), however Stetch has never really played a lot of PP in the past two years.  I would think he would come back next year to round out better as an all around dman.

One would have to assume they would get offers, they were UDFAs. Hopefully they know what's best for them and stay. Caggs needs a dominate year offensively before he leaves...he needs a season where he averages a point per game.

As far as stetcher, I would guess the AHL would be easier for him than Caggs (given his super motor and complete level), however Stetch has never really played a lot of PP in the past two years. I would think he would come back next year to round out better as an all around dman.

I hope you're right. Losing those two would hurt.

I completely agree of course lol. Play another year at UND in front of sold out crowds with your buddies for a Natty or hit the bus every other night in the AHL...Like we always say, one more year wouldnt hurt! In any case they will do whats best for them, hopefully we hear some good news for our team in the next week or so.

I talked to the scouts from the Jets when they were at the regional.  They said to a man that Caggs will get offers, that is just part of the game.  Just because him and Stecher have offers doesn't mean they are offers that are big enough to leave.  On a side note, I asked the Jets scouts to leave Caggs alone until after next year.  (as if I have that kind of power);)