SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ NDSU

bincitysioux

I think the team might of relaxed a little when they got the big lead.  Stuff like that can happen on an opponents floor.  It was great to see them bounce back in the overtime though.   After losing that lead they could of easily lost the game.  To be honest with you I am not sure that the Bison normally get the 3's to drop like they did last night.  But to their credit they made them and that is why they had a chance to win.    Our team  does  have some tenacity. 

These are the types of games that great teams win - to coin an FU phrase - this was their super bowl FU is destined to finish at the bottom of their conference. When one player has to score 33 to keep you in the game that doesn't bode well for them. Interesting to hear them throw out phrases like "toe to toe" guess it's okay for them to have morale victories.

As the UND coaches like to say the sweetest victories are on the opponents home court. Can't wait to see this team in Big Sky Conference play. 

We have plenty of 3 point shooters---Dyer, Strand, and Lauck, among others. Must have just been an off night for them.

The overall numbers aren't good on the season. It was not a one-game thing. Buck was the main 3-point threat last year, and after her the numbers were quite underwhelming. I just feel like with 15 scholarships, you can afford to have a zone-buster or two, even if they might not be great athletes or well-rounded players.

I'm not trying to be a downer here. It's just that there are some teams coming up on the schedule that are a lot better than NDSU, and I don't like UND's chances of even keeping it close against UM or USD without hitting some 3's.

The overall numbers aren't good on the season. It was not a one-game thing. Buck was the main 3-point threat last year, and after her the numbers were quite underwhelming. I just feel like with 15 scholarships, you can afford to have a zone-buster or two, even if they might not be great athletes or well-rounded players.

I'm not trying to be a downer here. It's just that there are some teams coming up on the schedule that are a lot better than NDSU, and I don't like UND's chances of even keeping it close against UM or USD without hitting some 3's.

Fully agree - if we had a couple ladies who could consistently knock down threes, we could be really good.  I think Strand will likely become fairly consistent with threes but not sure if anyone else will develop a long ball. Lauck had the ability in the past; hopefully, she can get it going again.  I don't know enough about the incoming freshmen next year - I hope this group has a couple scorers from the o/s.     

I would guess USD will again show us the advantage of having a few long range scorers. 

These are the types of games that great teams win - to coin an FU phrase - this was their super bowl FU is destined to finish at the bottom of their conference. When one player has to score 33 to keep you in the game that doesn't bode well for them. Interesting to hear them throw out phrases like "toe to toe" guess it's okay for them to have morale victories.

As the UND coaches like to say the sweetest victories are on the opponents home court. Can't wait to see this team in Big Sky Conference play. 

Made the mistake of checking out the Bisonville thread on this game. Some pretty low blow comments directed at UND. Fans like that ruin what was a very entertaining game to watch and a great win for UND. Rivalry games tend to be close no matter who is better on paper. I actually thought NDSU should have won as Brooke Lemar put them on her back. She is a very good player, maybe best in the Summit. Credit to UND for pulling it out

I'm sure the football game had something to do with it but only around 1500 for this game? There were probably 200-300 UND fans there as well. UND got about the same attendance vs. Dickinson State earlier this year. I know NDSU had some recruits there so it would be a great opportunity for Brew and crew to invite those same kids to Wednesdays game against Minnesota and show them a great D1 Women's BBall atmosphere. I don't think HS play on Wednesday. A 7-1 top mid major program hosting a big 10 team would sure leave a lasting impression on a recruit. Betting Brew and staff will have quite a few kids there. 

It has been so long since they have fielded a competetive women's team that they don't even recognize quality basketball anymore. Kind of sad really given the tradition of their program. I think their new coach has them playing better so maybe that will change in time. They don't think Evers would make their team? She would probably be player of the year in the Summit and she's the 2nd best player on our team.......

• Upvote 2

I'm occasionally troubled by what UND fans post here so I'm not gonna check out their site.

That said, Evers can play on any mid major!

I've never seen anyone post anything insulting about a player's looks or size on this site. I will admit many of their posters seem to be  immature twenty-somethings. 

Brew doing a nice job with Sioux women's hoops. Concern though, as touched on earlier by another poster, is their 3 pt shooting. The 3 primary guards are not real outside threats (they do drive well though). I think Bailey Strand of F Falls will eventually fill the 3 pt shooter role quite well but she's only a frosh. Yes, if teams successfully pack it n the lane against 15 ft or less baskets/drives we'll have to find a way to make the outside shots.

Brew doing a nice job with Sioux women's hoops. Concern though, as touched on earlier by another poster, is their 3 pt shooting. The 3 primary guards are not real outside threats (they do drive well though). I think Bailey Strand of F Falls will eventually fill the 3 pt shooter role quite well but she's only a frosh. Yes, if teams successfully pack it n the lane against 15 ft or less baskets/drives we'll have to find a way to make the outside shots.

I believe that we have girls that can step up and hit the outside shot when necessary. Its my concern as well but in the games I've watched so far is when they get open looks they bury them. Strand, Dyer, Sir I, and L auck would be our best options. I think Loyd can step out and hit from 3 if she wanted to. She has it in her game.

Josie Dillon would have been the 3 point marksman for this team but just cant stay healthy. (Red shirt???)

I believe that we have girls that can step up and hit the outside shot when necessary. Its my concern as well but in the games I've watched so far is when they get open looks they bury them. Strand, Dyer, Sir I, and L auck would be our best options. I think Loyd can step out and hit from 3 if she wanted to. She has it in her game.

Josie Dillon would have been the 3 point marksman for this team but just cant stay healthy. (Red shirt???)

While I agree that those ladies "can" hit a 3, no one has proven they can consistently do so.  We have made 27 this year compared to the opponents' 57.  While we won on Saturday, that could easily been one of those "when necessary" situations.  We were 0 for 7 while SU made 9.  I am not saying we should become a team that relies on the 3, we just need to be able for it to be more of a threat.  That would help open up the inside so we can better take advantage of our strength.

While I agree that those ladies "can" hit a 3, no one has proven they can consistently do so.  We have made 27 this year compared to the opponents' 57.  While we won on Saturday, that could easily been one of those "when necessary" situations.  We were 0 for 7 while SU made 9.  I am not saying we should become a team that relies on the 3, we just need to be able for it to be more of a threat.  That would help open up the inside so we can better take advantage of our strength.

I was at the Gopher women's game last night against Butler.  UM played zone almost exclusively.  We will need to hit some 3's to stay in it with them.  Butler hit a bunch of 3's and could have easily won the game.