SiouxSports.com Forum

Fargo the new Detroit??

Sioux-cia

I was in Detroit for peer support training earlier in July and I stayed in Utica, Michigan (Northern Detroit) and was very impressed. The area has a lot to offer. It was very cheap to eat. Lots of choices. The suburbs aren't run down at all and there's a lot of towns that were very nice. This leads me to believe that Detroit get a unfair rap.  I took a trip up the north with a buddy of mine and we checked out Port Huron. 

My suggestions for eatery. 

Red Ox Tavern, Utica, Michian

National Coney Island, there all over Detroit. 

Big Boy Restaurant,  they have one in Bismarck, ND. 

Sugar Bush Tavern, try the hell sauce wings

Green Lantern Pizza, Siri can tell you where the closest one is. 

45 gun violence homicides in Baltimore in July....highest since 1972. 189 shooting deaths to date.....up from last year's 119 but I see a slow down coming up in the months ahead with the the Confederate flag issue almost behind us.

Did you notice that the cities with the strict gun laws have some of the highest homicide rates. Chicago, I am pointing my finger at you. 

• Upvote 1

I was in Detroit for peer support training earlier in July and I stayed in Utica, Michigan (Northern Detroit) and was very impressed. The area has a lot to offer. It was very cheap to eat. Lots of choices. The suburbs aren't run down at all and there's a lot of towns that were very nice. This leads me to believe that Detroit get a unfair rap.  I took a trip up the north with a buddy of mine and we checked out Port Huron. 

I have spent a lot of time in Detroit over the last 20 years.  The suburbs are as nice as any in the country and it is a safe, family-friendly environment.  That said, downtown Detroit and the surrounding few miles is a very scary place.

I have spent a lot of time in Detroit over the last 20 years. The suburbs are as nice as any in the country and it is a safe, family-friendly environment. That said, downtown Detroit and the surrounding few miles is a very scary place.

The Detroit metro has had some really strong demarcation boundaries, 8 Mile Road, with Oakland and Macomb counties north of it, and Wayne County south. Macomb County used to have suburbs rivaling Bevery Hiĺls for opulence, like the Grosse Point and St Clair (Park, Shores, Hills, etc) communities. With the collapse of the American auto industry, they are still impressive, but now Edina, Wayzata, and Eden Prairie have wealthier residents.

• Upvote 1

Did you notice that the cities with the strict gun laws have some of the highest homicide rates. Chicago, I am pointing my finger at you.

Interesting that Chicago 's crime went way up when huge public housing complexes were destroyed, like Cabrini Green, and then those people were dispersed by Section 8 housing throughout mostly the south side. The invading new gangs from the tough projects fight the old neighborhood gangs over petty things. An unintended consequence of Obama's/Valerie Jarrett's/Rahm Emmanuel' s Chicago utopia / liberal dogooding, which the Chicago political elite never saw coming, even though they were warned.

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/news/inside-chicagos-endless-cycle-of-gun-violence-20150722

• Upvote 1

The Detroit metro has had some really strong demarcation boundaries, 8 Mile Road, with Oakland and Macomb counties north of it, and Wayne County south. Macomb County used to have suburbs rivaling Bevery Hiĺls for opulence, like the Grosse Point and St Clair (Park, Shores, Hills, etc) communities. With the collapse of the American auto industry, they are still impressive, but now Edina, Wayzata, and Eden Prairie have wealthier residents.

The Lake St. Clair area is very neat. I could see myself living there. Since I met my buddy Jim, he's been trying to get me to move to Michigan. I would but Mrs. Goon is not keen on moving there. 

I have spent a lot of time in Detroit over the last 20 years.  The suburbs are as nice as any in the country and it is a safe, family-friendly environment.  That said, downtown Detroit and the surrounding few miles is a very scary place.

Have you had the Green Lantern Pizza? 

I would guess you've either never been to the Big Boy in Bismarck, or you didn't visit a Michigan Big Boy. More than one North Dakota native has become excited upon seeing the Big Boy sign in Michigan, only to find it's not at all the same awesomeness found in Bismarck. Same name and logo, different food altogether.

• Upvote 1

Back on topic two houses were shot up in west Fargo and and an unfaithful man chokes his wife at west acres for requesting a divorce.

How does someone pop off seven rounds into two different houses in West Fargo and the cops find the casings and there are no witnesses? That's a block off of a busy street (13th Ave) and by Gordman's and two churches.

I love how the Forum did no favors for the guy who assaulted his wife; the Forum mentioned the guy had been seeing TWO other women. I wonder if the TWO other women knew about each other before that. :D

I would guess you've either never been to the Big Boy in Bismarck, or you didn't visit a Michigan Big Boy. More than one North Dakota native has become excited upon seeing the Big Boy sign in Michigan, only to find it's not at all the same awesomeness found in Bismarck. Same name and logo, different food altogether.

I did eat at the Big Boy on M59, and it was surprised how inexpensive it was. Great place to eat lunch. 

How does someone pop off seven rounds into two different houses in West Fargo and the cops find the casings and there are no witnesses? That's a block off of a busy street (13th Ave) and by Gordman's and two churches.

I love how the Forum did no favors for the guy who assaulted his wife; the Forum mentioned the guy had been seeing TWO other women. I wonder if the TWO other women knew about each other before that. :D

I had to laugh at the "TWO other women" part, too!

As for the shooting of houses in WF, that was barely over a mile from my house.  Not cool.:sad:  At that time of night, that area is pretty quiet - also, there's a playground behind Gordman's near the churches that would allow for someone to fire a gun and run multiple directions without being near a house to be id'd.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/West+Fargo,+ND/@46.8593294,-96.872874,565m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x52cf34bb7797e871:0xb83bd0531febdbda!6m1!1e1

If the link works, you can see on Earth view that there are no cross streets, there is a tree line, etc., where the person/people could have fired from.

Edited by siouxforcefans

We just spent the last 5 days in Rolla MO. Very nice area with plenty of springs and caverns. We went through Jonesboro AR, home of Arkansas State, which is FBS with a similar size city and school enrollment. I have not seen their attendance numbers are. 

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/news/north-dakota/3819751-somali-refugees-work-together-adjust-life-grand-forks

Article in the Dickinson Press on Somali immigrants.  What has always stood out to me and bothered me is how LSS imports these people and then dumps them on the community with little to no knowledge of how things work here.  The fact they bring in big grant/contract $$ and don't even have staff who can speak Somali is quite telling.

• Upvote 1

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/news/north-dakota/3819751-somali-refugees-work-together-adjust-life-grand-forks

Article in the Dickinson Press on Somali immigrants.  What has always stood out to me and bothered me is how LSS imports these people and then dumps them on the community with little to no knowledge of how things work here.  The fact they bring in big grant/contract $$ and don't even have staff who can speak Somali is quite telling.

LSS IMO is a complete joke.  There is no doubt that that organization has been a big contributing factor to the increasing issues in the F-M area.  

• Upvote 2

I thought Cabot Cove, Maine had the highest murder rate per capita in the world!  Detroit is a safe haven compared to Cabot Cove.  Jessica Fletcher was solving at least a  murder per week in that little town in Maine.:)

• Upvote 1