SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ #6 Eastern Washington; Nov. 1, 2014

UND-FB-FAN

I think that one statistic that can't be overlooked is the number of dropped passes we have had this year. With the receivers that left the program last year and the number of injuries we have had this year, it has really had a large negative affect on whatever offense we might of been able to muster this year. Considering what happened at the quarterback situation this year, the lack of quality receivers being able to play has killed us.

It's not a waste. And Hanson is not a DI QB[/

I'm not disagreeing with the decision to start Studsrud but why do you need to continue to bash Hanson? He was a very good HS QB and is a very good scout team QB. These are guys who are very important to your program. Mussman never understood that and neither do some of you. Gene Murphy, former player and coach, was maybe the best at that. Hanson contributes in ways many of us don't see. The contributions during film study, the support of teammates and working hard at practice and the weight room increases the chance some of the more talented players will pick it up and be a better player. When we get down to our 3rd and 4th team guys especially as we transition to a new coach, then I think most fans understand the talent level. While I'm at it I hope people don't get down on Studsrud. He is a good athlete with a strong arm. He also played with the same limitations Mollberg and Bartels did. If Mollberg can return healthy, Bartels can return healthy, I suspect Studsrud will be the #3 and hopefully Hanson will remain as an important part of this team. To build a championship team you need guys like this. They can push the other guys by their own example and hard work.

• Upvote 1

My comments were addressing the notion that Hanson should've played yesterday rather than Studsrud. Obviously, the coaches disagreed with that idea and played Studsrud because he is the better player between himself and Hanson. Hanson has been in the program much longer than Studsrud and yet he didn't get the nod; that should speak for itself.

I understand positive morale and such, but sometimes you have to see things for how they really are. I know you have been overly optimistic about Joe Mollberg and his potential as a DI QB for UND, despite Mollberg's inconsistent play before he suffered the unfortunate achilles injury. Best luck to Joe on his recovery.

Bottom line, UND needs new players (i.e., recruits) because there are a very few All-Big Sky caliber players on the roster. As for the current student-athletes, development is key and I'm confident in the program Bubba is instituting.

Possibly... but if Bartles rope is that short then Mollberg has to be out of rope.

Nice cheap shot but if Bartles gets healthy he will be the starter. I believe Bartels return this year is questionable. There are no ropes, long short or otherwise. If Mollberg was healthy he would still be the starter. These coaches are doing everything they can to win and turn the program around and they are playing the kids they think give us the best chance to win every play, every game. The coaches don't ever care about the opinions of those of us whose "body of work" is highlighted by finishing as runner up 2 yrs in a row in our fantasy FB league or play a mean game of Madden. If Studsrud shows he is that guy next spring he will start next fall. If Bartles shows he is the guy he will start. With Mollberg's injury, it changes things. Dan Marino threw for 30 TD's and over 4000 yds the year after his Achilles rupture and surgery. Mollberg's surgery went well. I would not expect him to participate in contact drills, if at all this spring. Hopefully Bartles will be ready for springball.

ame="iramurphy" post="734359" timestamp="1414954854"]

My comments were addressing the notion that Hanson should've played yesterday rather than Studsrud. Obviously, the coaches disagreed with that idea and played Studsrud because he is the better player between himself and Hanson. Hanson has been in the program much longer than Studsrud and yet he didn't get the nod; that should speak for itself.

I understand positive morale and such, but sometimes you have to see things for how they are. I know you have been overly optimistic about Joe Mollberg and his potential as a DI QB for UND, despite Mollberg's inconsistent play before he suffered the unfortunate achilles injury.

Bottom line, UND needs new players because there are a very few All-Big Sky caliber players on the roster. Trying to convince yourself that isn't the case is, well, irrational.

Then maybe focus on Studsrud's talents. I agree the decision about Hanson "goes without saying" except you felt it important to say it. Most fans already figured it out. You don't know I have been overly optimistic about Mollberg. You think you do. I don't know how he will continue to develop but I know he has the potential. It wasn't just me, it was Bohl and Vigen who wanted him badly as well as other D1 coaches who saw the potential. I watched him play in HS so I have seen the potential. Obviously you and Mussman weren't quite convinced. Bubba disagreed and so do I. Doesn't mean I'm not realistic but I think I understand the importance of the team play and how that can affect what the QB can do. Mollberg was starting to play much better after the MState game. Bartels and Studsrud both struggled when they played, In fact between them they threw 5 ints. and no TD's the last 2 games. Despite that I think they are both capable. I'm not irrational and I think given protection and a semblance of a running game both Mollberg and Bartels are Big Sky caliber players. Not fair to judge Studsrud yet. I confess, I don't play Madden and I'm not in a fantasy FB league, but we need to get a better supportive cast before you toss anyone under the bus.

Then maybe focus on Studsrud's talents. I agree the decision about Hanson "goes without saying" except you felt it important to say it. Most fans already figured it out. You don't know I have been overly optimistic about Mollberg. You think you do. I don't know how he will continue to develop but I know he has the potential. It wasn't just me, it was Bohl and Vigen who wanted him badly as well as other D1 coaches who saw the potential. I watched him play in HS so I have seen the potential. Obviously you and Mussman weren't quite convinced. Bubba disagreed and so do I. Doesn't mean I'm not realistic but I think I understand the importance of the team play and how that can affect what the QB can do. Mollberg was starting to play much better after the MState game. Bartels and Studsrud both struggled when they played, In fact between them they threw 5 ints. and no TD's the last 2 games. Despite that I think they are both capable. I'm not irrational and I think given protection and a semblance of a running game both Mollberg and Bartels are Big Sky caliber players. Not fair to judge Studsrud yet. I confess, I don't play Madden and I'm not in a fantasy FB league, but we need to get a better supportive cast before you toss anyone under the bus.

Well Ira, I would prefer personal comments and credentials be an unnecessary prerequisite of this discussion, but if you want to imply such an inclusion so be it. I've coached and watched North Dakota HS football for years, and in my opinion, I don't believe Hanson is a DI quarterback. It is what it is.

As for said comments, your balancing act between promoting Mollberg and equally criticizing the other UND quarterbacks is quite obvious. Coming after me because I'm familiar with North Dakota high school football and on record making a comment regarding a student-athlete I witnessed play ND HS football is a bit hypocritical, particularly because your familiarity with DL HS football is often recited by you.

UND is what there record says it is; 3-6. They are not a good football club and they need to improve. That will come both with recruiting and getting injured players back healthy.

Well Ira, I would prefer personal comments and credentials be an unnecessary prerequisite of this discussion, but if you want to imply such an inclusion so be it. I've coached and watched North Dakota HS football for years, and in my opinion, I don't believe Hanson is a DI quarterback. It is what it is.

As for said comments, your balancing act between promoting Mollberg and equally criticizing the other UND quarterbacks is quite obvious. Coming after me because I'm familiar with North Dakota high school football and on record making a comment regarding a student-athlete I witnessed play ND HS football is a bit hypocritical, particularly because your familiarity with DL HS football is often recited by you.

UND is what there record says it is; 3-6. They are not a good football club and they need to improve. That will come both with recruiting and getting injured players back healthy.

Least ira didn't throw out the Fantasy FB or Madden barbs at you...but I did win my FFL last year and have never played Madden. He obviously has some serious skin in the game with Joe personally and one can kind of respect that loyalty... albeit somewhat blinded. Right now UND has played 3 QBs to date and I have no idea if Joe will reach his "potential", if Ryan will be the guy if healthy or if Keaton is the best of the bunch going into next year. If Joe is healthy, plays great in camp again and gets the job next year I would hope then some of that potential that ira references often is reached.

You miss my point. By definition, Jake Hanson is a D1 QB (he is a QB for UND). I think Sioux fans know his capabilities. Your critical comments about him went beyond what I believe is fair. You also commented more than once trying to make your point. It went beyond that he isn't ready to start. I stood up for the kid and other kids who straps it on and goes to practice everyday competing to the best of their ability. If you feel it is fair to unduly hammer on a kid like you did and there is no rebuttal, the I guess I'm wrong. As for credentials, my opinion about Mollberg is just that. No more important than yours or the guy playing the Tuba. Maybe I just don't like to see a kid who is a scout team QB, bashed repeatedly. If you need my resume you can PC me but I believe it is irrelevant.
  • Upvote 1

Least ira didn't throw out the Fantasy FB or Madden barbs at you...but I did win my FFL last year and have never played Madden. He obviously has some serious skin in the game with Joe personally and one can kind of respect that loyalty... albeit somewhat blinded. Right now UND has played 3 QBs to date and I have no idea if Joe will reach his "potential", if Ryan will be the guy if healthy or if Keaton is the best of the bunch going into next year. If Joe is healthy, plays great in camp again and gets the job next year I would hope then some of that potential that ira references often is reached.

Read the post. "Those of us......" implies myself included. I have no "skin in the game" with Mollberg. I have seen him play and develop so I may have higher expectations and that would be my bias. He needs to get healthy so why take the shot at him you did?. Seems some are a bit sensitive to anyone questioning those who want to either bench a kid or fire a coach every 2 weeks. Obviously you are someone who agrees with Mussman who felt Bartles was the guy and I'm agreeing with Bubba that Mollberg is the better option. They are both hurt and I hope they both get healthy. So why not let them heal before you cut their "rope". I believe Bubba will play whichever of these guys gives us the best chance to win. I still think the QB's are not the problem. Good job on your FFL and hope you do as well this year.

NDSU recruits athletes - If Mollberg wouldn't have worked out as a qb they would have switched him to MLB.  He'd have made a great MLB which is where coach Bubba would have put him if he would have been there instead of Muss.  IMO

Why the hell would we waste studsruds redshirt. Just stupid. I would rather have Hanson start.

You are right on. You must not think Studsrud is your future QB if you are trading his worst year (true fr year) for what should be his best year (5th yr senior) in a season where you are 3-5 with virtually no chance of advancing to the playoffs. I think the NDSU staff has been too quick to pull shirts from freshman recently to basically only play special teams. But even Klieman said a couple of weeks ago that there was no chance any more redshirts would be pulled this year. And he has a team that will be playing into December in meaningful games.

Play your best players. The seniors deserve it. The fans deserve it. The program deserves it.

Maybe you owe it Hanson, a kid who has stuck with the program for several years and has put in his time. Maybe it would have been right to give him a chance to show what he can do. 

You are right on. You must not think Studsrud is your future QB if you are trading his worst year (true fr year) for what should be his best year (5th yr senior) in a season where you are 3-5 with virtually no chance of advancing to the playoffs. I think the NDSU staff has been too quick to pull shirts from freshman recently to basically only play special teams. But even Klieman said a couple of weeks ago that there was no chance any more redshirts would be pulled this year. And he has a team that will be playing into December in meaningful games.

Totally similar situations, right? Cmon.

The coaches job is to win games. Period. 

That means playing the best available player. You don't save a player for next year - if they do the coaches won't be around for long.

Their job is to play the best kids, and then recruit the next guy up. If Keaton plays a couple games this year and get's some experience and comes out next year and is all big sky then no one will complain. In 3 more years we will be getting ready for the next guy that the coaches recruited this year and in coming years.

I

Exactly. Who knows what could happen in two or three years a better quarterback could come in and beat out everyone as the starter.

I agree and was going to make that point earlier.  If all three are healthy next year.....and Keaton is still the #3....or even #2...that doesn't bode well for his future.  I don't think anybody is thinking Bartels and Mollberg have really been lighting things up in their careers so far.  So if Keaton can't beat them out, that means he's not as good as them, so I sure hope that in 2-3 more years we have a younger QB coming up that is better than Mollberg and Bartels have been who would beat out Keaton anyway.  If Keaton does beat them all out next fall, well then I guess it is a partial waste of a year....however he will gain experience starting a few games this year which will help him early next year.