SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ #6 Eastern Washington; Nov. 1, 2014

UND-FB-FAN

Saw Bartels had his helmet on almost the whole game. Looked like he was anxious to get in?

How njured is he? Is it possible that the coaching staff is just moving along with their recruit?

As a football fan... I'm thinking you might be on to something... Moving on.

Saw Bartels had his helmet on almost the whole game. Looked like he was anxious to get in?

How njured is he? Is it possible that the coaching staff is just moving along with their recruit?

His throwing shoulder is hurt. He was available to hand the ball off, not that we did much on O anyway.

You expected 54-3? I realized before the game that it would be very difficult to win, but losing this bad is horrible. How about 28-3? Or 35-10?

I've seen EWU's offense twice this season, so yes, 54 points certainly wasn't out of the question at all. Given UND's offensive woes most of the year and the fact that they're one injury away from having the QB of the Sigma Chi intramural football team taking a few snaps behind center, I'd say 3 points today out of UND sounds about right too.

It sucks, but this team is a M*A*S*H unit right now. It's not a 2-3 deep at every position like a Florida State or Alabama.

• Upvote 1

Regardless of injuries, regardless of the circumstances, having the worst loss since 1926 to a team in your own division and conference is an embarrassment to this once-proud program.  

As to the redshirt issue, everyone says that Hanson is just not capable.  Well, clearly, neither is Studsrud.  I don't think Hanson could possibly have done any worse.  And even if Hanson would have been worse, SO WHAT?  UND loses by 54-0 instead of 54-3?  And at least with Hanson, you're not ruining a kid that has a legitimate chance to be a starter someday.  I'm baffled why they pulled this kid's shirt and threw him into this mess.  

• Upvote 1

EWU had put up 50+ in 4 out of 9 games prior to today's tilt with UND and 40+ in 6 out of 9. 52 on the Pac-12's Washington Huskies in Seattle. UND's defense may be vastly improved over last year, but we're still not talking 1985 Chicago Bears here. Given the team's offensive ineptitude, I might suggest that keeping EWU under 80 should probably earn the team a few votes for Big Sky defensive performance of the week.

As to the redshirt issue, everyone says that Hanson is just not capable. Well, clearly, neither is Studsrud. I don't think Hanson could possibly have done any worse. And even if Hanson would have been worse, SO WHAT? UND loses by 54-0 instead of 54-3? And at least with Hanson, you're not ruining a kid that has a legitimate chance to be a starter someday. I'm baffled why they pulled this kid's shirt and threw him into this mess.

Yup, let's blow a redshirt AND crush the 18 year old's confidence. Brilliant!

If Bartles is done for the year then I understand the decision. I didn't think the Injury was that bad. Here's hoping for the best.

this is the only circumstance where pulling the shirt makes any sense. 

If Bartels is back this year, then I will really wonder wtf the coaching staff is thinking.   Next year's quarterback decision will be a nightmare regardless how this year plays out. 

Yup, let's blow a redshirt AND crush the 18 year old's confidence. Brilliant!

Exactly. How could Hanson be worse than this?

Prior to the game, we knew the season was a rebuild. No reason to waste a year of an allegedly promising kid by pulling the redshirt. So now they MUST stick with him otherwise he ends up crushed mentally.

The other choice-use Hanson! No way he's worse than this AND he doesn't cost you the RS.

This is not a good FB team, and as a fan i accept that but I have hope for the future. Why waste any freshmen this year?

I'm fine with pulling the redshirt. I would guess they had a conversation with Studsrud and he was fine with it.

With no consistent running game all year long we put him in a tough spot. Lots to ask of a true freshman, playing without the top two WRs to be effective yesterday.

Disappointing outcome yesterday. Finishing 2-1 down the stretch is a realistic goal.

Not that it's any consolation, but UND actually didn't run the ball too badly yesterday, particularly considering EWU did not have to respect the passing game at all. 126 yards and 4.7 yards per carry is decent for this group. 

I expect that an additional week of practice and playing at home will result in a far better performance next week by Studsrud. I just hope Ferguson can play, as without him there is nobody capable of stretching the field.

I'm fine with pulling the redshirt. I would guess they had a conversation with Studsrud and he was fine with it.

With no consistent running game all year long we put him in a tough spot. Lots to ask of a true freshman, playing without the top two WRs to be effective yesterday.

Disappointing outcome yesterday. Finishing 2-1 down the stretch is a realistic goal.

I will be pleasantly surprised if this team goes anything other than 0 - 3 to end the year. Weber will look at next week as perhaps their best remaining opportunity to avoid a winless season.

They can at least score. We can't. Defensive TDs or turnovers giving the O outstanding field position is our only chance.

I didn't think Studsrud was all that bad considering he had 4 practices under his belt and was asked to throw almost exclusively on third and long. I like the way he moves and how he throws the ball. He'll be better next game and every other game he plays. He showed his potential yeaterday, the results weren't great but honestly how could they be. And yes, Hanson would probably have been worse, that's why they played Studsrud.