SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ #6 Eastern Washington; Nov. 1, 2014

UND-FB-FAN

We'll then, what was his reasoning for getting blown out?

The game sounded a lot like the non-competitive, tail-between-your-legs, go-lie-in-the-corner beat-downs that ultimately cost Mussman his job. Maybe at least as much about effort, focus and discipline as it was about youth and injuries -- and I think that perception was reflected in some of the post-game comments I heard from players and Bubba himself, who said immediately after the game they'd find out this week who the real tough players were on this team. 

You play the hand you're dealt. 

Mussman didn't have a full deck ... for Bubba. 

To be fair, much of the early success on defense this year was with players recruited by Mussman (with the benefit of improved coaching under the new staff), and much of the offensive potential from last year (i.e., receivers) left after Mussman was fired. Bubba had very little recruitment time after he came on board, but I think its also fair to say that, aside from a couple of FBS drop-downs, the transfer class Schweigert brought in to provide immediate help has been a bust.

To be fair, much of the early success on defense this year was with players recruited by Mussman (with the benefit of improved coaching under the new staff), and much of the offensive potential from last year (i.e., receivers) left after Mussman was fired. Bubba had very little recruitment time after he came on board, but I think its also fair to say that, aside from a couple of FBS drop-downs, the transfer class Schweigert brought in to provide immediate help has been a bust.

Unfortunately, this is pretty much par for the course for juco transfers at UND. 

Watching some of Bubba's decisions lately I that must be blind trust.

Would you care to elaborate?

Only decisions of controversy are the "taking the wind" and "pull the redshirt" decisions. Both of those decisions are perfectly understandable in my opinion. Still comes down to recruiting in my opinion, which means in a year or two we'll actually know the full picture.

" ... didn't have a full deck ... " ==> team lacks depth. 

Tillman, not a bust. Hinojosa, not a bust. 

The Kansas LB, OK, ... bust. 

UND has had some success, particularly recently, with FBS transfers. Juco transfers? Not so much. Not that I blame Bubba for rolling the dice under the circumstances. I don't think he had much of a choice. But in the future, I would expect there to be fewer of them than were added in the last off-season.

You just can't be afraid to pull the trigger on JUCOs and FBS transfers. Obviously UND needs more talented players, so however UND and Bubba can find them, go for it.

I realize that. It's just that when it comes to jucos--and this is over an extended period of time at UND--for every Glen Matthews we seem to get 10 Joey Bradley's.

• Upvote 1

I realize that. It's just that when it comes to jucos--and this is over an extended period of time at UND--for every Glen Matthews we seem to get 10 Joey Bradley's.

Absolutely. If I had to apply a simplistic way of thinking to the recruiting as a way to improve UND football, it would be to recruit locally (ND, MN, MB, WI, etc.) and get the kids to buy in and use all their years of eligibility at UND.

That was Mussman's issue; just too much attrition. If Bubba can get all of his recruits to stick around and develop, it will create good depth and produce championship caliber teams. It worked for him at UMD.

For example, if UND didn't lose all of the departures over the last couple years, UND might not be so bad (more depth at WR and CB). If all these true freshmen playing now stick around and play together as juniors and seniors, UND will be very competitive and perhaps good.

Absolutely. If I had to apply a simplistic way of thinking to the recruiting as a way to improve UND football, it would be to recruit locally (ND, MN, MB, WI, etc.) and get the kids to buy in and use all their years of eligibility at UND.

That was Mussman's issue; just too much attrition. If Bubba can get all of his recruits to stick around and develop, it will create good depth and produce championship caliber teams. It worked for him at UMD.

For example, if UND didn't lose all of the departures over the last couple years, UND might not be so bad (more depth at WR and CB). If all these true freshmen playing now stick around and play together as juniors and seniors, UND will be very competitive and perhaps good.

Talent and depth will cure a lot of frustrations.  We have to go out and see what's their for FBS/JUCO guys more so the next 2-3 years or until.......we don't need to do that.  We'll see how connected Maurice is this off season, he's a good guy.  I think the success Tillman has had will help with FBS guys next year.  Plus, the guy from the Gophers, Jordan, he has 2 more years to develop and has been a plus for the program.  The positive with FBS guys is they know what to expect with a structured program.  With JUCOs, well they are in JC for a reason.....so it's between picking winners and 'losers'-  The staff worked a minor miracle given the time frame last year.  I hope we don't get smoked the rest of the year cause that could affect recruiting.