SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ #6 Eastern Washington; Nov. 1, 2014

UND-FB-FAN

I

I agree and was going to make that point earlier. If all three are healthy next year.....and Keaton is still the #3....or even #2...that doesn't bode well for his future. I don't think anybody is thinking Bartels and Mollberg have really been lighting things up in their careers so far. So if Keaton can't beat them out, that means he's not as good as them, so I sure hope that in 2-3 more years we have a younger QB coming up that is better than Mollberg and Bartels have been who would beat out Keaton anyway. If Keaton does beat them all out next fall, well then I guess it is a partial waste of a year....however he will gain experience starting a few games this year which will help him early next year.

I firmly believe that had mollberg not been injured against PSU and ultimately SUU that we'd be singing a different tune about the QBs and have a different record.

And yet somehow the Patriots got the ball to start the second half. See the difference?

What was the score of the Patriots game at half?  I wouldn't give the other team the ball first, either.

Here is what I wrote in the other thread which fully explains it and verifies his decision;

UND chose to take the wind in the second half instead of the ball.  Why?  Because they were down 21-3 with an average offense and knew they needed to catch up NOW or be down too far to even get close.  How did it work out?  They scored two TD's in the 3rd/start of 4th and made it 21-17, which is exactly what they hoped for.  They at least now had a shot. 

The more I think about Studsrud's shirt being lifted, the less of a problem I have with it. A month/four games of taking every offensive snap, plus all the reps with the number one offense in practice, is probably as much or more experience than any of the other true freshmen who have played all year, simply because the rest are mostly just rotating in every third series or so. If Studsrud is "wasting" a year, couldn't you make the same argument for nearly every other true freshman who has seen the field this year?

It's ridiculous you're even trying to defend the indefensible.

The Patriots were goin to get the ball to start one of the halves. No matter the score or the wind.

So if you're losing to start the second half you're more likely to kick off?! Come on man.

Did you read what I wrote?  Read it again.

His calculated decision worked out perfectly and you are on here saying it didn't.  You are not smarter than Bubba and were not out in Cedar City to see how the wind affected the anemic UND offense.  Tom Brady was not out in Utah last Saturday, either.  

People are WAY too obsessed with starting a half with the ball and how huge that is.  Most games it will work out that way, sometimes it doesn't.  

The more I think about Studsrud's shirt being lifted, the less of a problem I have with it. A month/four games of taking every offensive snap, plus all the reps with the number one offense in practice, is probably as much or more experience than any of the other true freshmen who have played all year, simply because the rest are mostly just rotating in every third series or so. If Studsrud is "wasting" a year, couldn't you make the same argument for nearly every other true freshman who has seen the field this year?

The way I look at it we enter spring ball with 2 players with starting experience at the position and there is a chance we enter fall camp with 3 guys.  Its time for one of them to pull away and I feel gives the team the best chance to be successful next season.

Now time to fix the o-line.

It's ridiculous you're even trying to defend the indefensible.

The Patriots were goin to get the ball to start one of the halves. No matter the score or the wind.

So if you're losing to start the second half you're more likely to kick off?! Come on man.

You are right.

I've heard this philosophy discussed by several NFL coaches/former players.  The common thread of why you don't kick twice is this: you never willingly give the opponent an extra possession.

• Upvote 1

Did you read what I wrote?  Read it again.

His calculated decision worked out perfectly and you are on here saying it didn't.  You are not smarter than Bubba and were not out in Cedar City to see how the wind affected the anemic UND offense.  Tom Brady was not out in Utah last Saturday, either.  

People are WAY too obsessed with starting a half with the ball and how huge that is.  Most games it will work out that way, sometimes it doesn't.  

Oh I read it. It makes no sense. Its connecting the dots looking back because you can only connect the dots looking back. You need to take a statistics class. 

Its Football 101.

The wind affects both team equally throughout the game. Fact. 

The more time and possessions and offensive has the ball the greater their chances are to win the game. Fact.

In this case, not only am I smarter than Bubba is. So is a fourth grader.

Oh I read it. It makes no sense. Its connecting the dots looking back because you can only connect the dots looking back. You need to take a statistics class. 

Its Football 101.

The wind affects both team equally throughout the game. Fact. 

The more time and possessions and offensive has the ball the greater their chances are to win the game. Fact.

In this case, not only am I smarter than Bubba is. So is a fourth grader.

Wow.  Well, I guess 4th graders get it right sometimes then.  Carry on....

The whole point of deciding when/if you "take the wind" is because you want to limit the opponent's ability to score.  Giving the opponent the extra possession by kicking off to start both the game and the second half defeats that purpose.  The opponent is more likely to score when they have the ball for an extra possession, not less likely.  Regardless of field conditions.

http://www.sportsworldnews.com/articles/17800/20140914/charlie-strong-embarrassment-texas-longhorns-unable-to-execute-coin-toss-correctly-video.htm

The consequences of kicking off twice.  At least they did it by mistake.

You are right.

I've heard this philosophy discussed by several NFL coaches/former players. The common thread of why you don't kick twice is this: you never willingly give the opponent an extra possession.

Another problem I have with it, is nobody can predict the future obviously. What if the opponent goes on a seven minute drive, pounding the ball into the wind?

one thing we know for sure is you are guaranteeing yourself one less possession, or an equal amount of possessions, compared to your opponent, during the quarter that you have the wind at your back. I would rather have equal possessions, or one more possession, during the quarter I have the wind at my back.

• Upvote 1

The whole point of deciding when/if you "take the wind" is because you want to limit the opponent's ability to score.  Giving the opponent the extra possession by kicking off to start both the game and the second half defeats that purpose.  The opponent is more likely to score when they have the ball for an extra possession, not less likely.  Regardless of field conditions.

http://www.sportsworldnews.com/articles/17800/20140914/charlie-strong-embarrassment-texas-longhorns-unable-to-execute-coin-toss-correctly-video.htm

The consequences of kicking off twice.  At least they did it by mistake.

So now your going into the metrics of "possessions"?  Let's say SUU comes out to start the 2nd half and goes 3 and out.  Then, UND goes on a 8 minute drive.  Does that technically eat up one of SUU's "possessions" (based on avg. possession time)?  Are they back to even again?

So now your going into the metrics of "possessions"?  Let's say SUU comes out to start the 2nd half and goes 3 and out.  Then, UND goes on a 8 minute drive.  Does that technically eat up one of SUU's "possessions" (based on avg. possession time)?  Are they back to even again?

Stop defending this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

apparently you and Bubba are the only two in the USA that would do something so stupid...

Now?  You are posting like that is a foreign concept.  It isn't new.  Coaches know what the average TOP is, the average number of plays, etc...

There is variance based on the scenario you stated.  That is how and why we know one team can schematically make a game plan to eat clock and limit possessions.

It is also why you do not willingly give the opponent an extra possession by kicking off twice.

Now?  You are posting like that is a foreign concept.  It isn't new.  Coaches know what the average TOP is, the average number of plays, etc...

There is variance based on the scenario you stated.  That is how and why we know one team can schematically make a game plan to eat clock and limit possessions.

It is also why you do not willingly give the opponent an extra possession by kicking off twice.

Generally speaking, yep that makes sense. 

Stop defending this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

apparently you and Bubba are the only two in the USA that would do something so stupid...

I'd be #3 in very limited game conditions.  I remember UND doing it before and I think it was against USD in the 90's at Memorial with 40 mph gusts and sideways rain.  With a good defense you pin the offense on a 3 and out, and that game, punts were almost going backwards.  So, lighten up, it's been done before on a very limited basis.  I think in the SUU game the weather didn't quite warrant doing it though.