SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

Not to get off topic, I keep wondering where this "money tree" people think exists for all these wants for the rest of the athletic department at UND.

Women's hockey coach doesn't need to be the second highest coach on campus. That sport itself is a money pit. I don't think some are looking for a money tree, just a redistribution of funding

• Upvote 2

Women's hockey coach doesn't need to be the second highest coach on campus. That sport itself is a money pit. I don't think some are looking for a money tree, just a redistribution of funding

From what I understand the top assistant for women's hockey was or is making slightly more than Jones. Not sure if that's still the case but apparently it was last year.

From what I understand the top assistant for women's hockey was or is making slightly more than Jones. Not sure if that's still the case but apparently it was last year.

UMD made a change with the HC of its women's program.....which in part was financial.

• 4 weeks later...

Other Pac-12 schools are going to wait and see how Arizona State does in D1 hockey.

rZnMJmLS_normal.png Justin Emerson @J15Emerson · 1h 1 hour ago

AD Ray Anderson said other Pac-12 schools are skeptical of hockey. In a "wait and see" state to see what ASU does

Interesting. So they're gonna let ASU play crash test dummy and then go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Not NCAA related; Alabama ACHA D3 hockey team will be moving up to ACHA D1. Alabama will join Arkansas as the only SEC schools playing in ACHA D1. Alabama, Arkansas, Missouri State, Illinois State, and Florida Gulf Coast (it sounds like FGCU is moving up to ACHA D1) are playing in the ACHA D1.  

There's no way Illinois upgrades their club team to D1. The state is broke & totally screwed up & there would be major yelling about adding hockey when it is cutting education & social services. People bitch & moan but when it comes down to it the unions rule the state & get the democrats voted in to keep screwing things up. The latest issue is to approve a referendum for a high school district that 35% of the teachers get paid 135K. They don't want to give up their 6% automatic pay raise in their last 4 years of teaching to boost their pensions. The union realizes what the results of the referendum will be & are considering agreeing to only 3% to try to avoid it. The pension fiasco in ILL. is going to bankrupt the state & nobody will be getting the pensions they expect & think they deserve. Sorry, end of rant,

Illinois still has a club team? Wow I used to watch them when I lived back there is the early 60s. Cant believe they never stepped up.

College Hockey Realignment: Motivations Behind Possible NCHC Expansion

Feb 18, 2015

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston-college-hockey-2014-2015-season/2015/2/18/8033627/college-hockey-realignment-nchc-expansion-notre-dame-arizona-state

All opinion from the Boston College Hockey Blog writer, but:

"There will be some degree of manufactured suspense with the Sun Devils noodling on the NCHC or WCHA question, but Arizona State will become the NCHC's ninth program."

....."the NCHC will almost certainly turn its attention back to Notre Dame—an extreme geographic outlier, and one that has recently complained about being an outlier in its new league."

maybe?

The B1G has set an unexpected precedent by adding Johns Hopkins for B1G Lacrosse only. 

Should Notre Dame make serious noise about leaving HEA for the NCHC I'd expect the B1G to make a move. Would it be "hockey only" or would they stick with "all or nothing" with the Domers is the question. 

The B1G has set an unexpected precedent by adding Johns Hopkins for B1G Lacrosse only. 

Should Notre Dame make serious noise about leaving HEA for the NCHC I'd expect the B1G to make a move. Would it be "hockey only" or would they stick with "all or nothing" with the Domers is the question.

Notre Dame and the Big10 can have each other...NCHC made the right decision letting them go to Hockey East.
  • Upvote 1

For other schools they may make an exception, but for Notre dame there is way too much more at stake. I know they did it for johns hopkins, bit the schools/programs are just too different to use that as a precedent. For notre dame it has to be all or nothing or they would have added them for basketball long ago.