SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

New Jersey had about 45 players in NCAA Division 1 hockey this year,but from I am hearing from our athletic department, we won't be adding any new sports for quite a long time. Rutgers does not get the full Big Ten share of TV,bowl games,NCAA Basketball,etc. money for five more years. The figure I keep hearing to start a program and build a hockey arena is over $100 million.

J,f,r...on a total side-note: nice to see you post again.

Thanks MafiaMan,

Some life stuff going on...nothing life and death.--I live about 75 minutes from the Wachovia Center (much less than that from their practice facility here in southern New Jersey). If I can work a Flyers ticket into the budget, I may be the only person in the building wearing a Fighting Sioux jersey next season :)

• Upvote 2

Thanks MafiaMan,

Some life stuff going on...nothing life and death.--I live about 75 minutes from the Wachovia Center (much less than that from their practice facility here in southern New Jersey). If I can work a Flyers ticket into the budget, I may be the only person in the building wearing a Fighting Sioux jersey next season :)

I tried to plus one you but it has been such a busy day I ran out! This season I will be watching to see if I can spot any UND gear in the Philly stands.

• 2 weeks later...

New Jersey had about 45 players in NCAA Division 1 hockey this year,but from I am hearing from our athletic department, we won't be adding any new sports for quite a long time. Rutgers does not get the full Big Ten share of TV,bowl games,NCAA Basketball,etc. money for five more years. The figure I keep hearing to start a program and build a hockey arena is over $100 million.

Rutgers alumni are studying moving their club team to the Big 10.

http://www.juniorhockey.com/news/news_detail.php?news_id=87178

Rutgers was broke, but the $30 mil annually from the B1G doesn't hurt.

Rutgers alumni are studying moving their club team to the Big 10.

http://www.juniorhockey.com/news/news_detail.php?news_id=87178

Rutgers was broke, but the $30 mil annually from the B1G doesn't hurt.

Here's the story on On The Banks Rutgers SB Nation site.

http://www.onthebanks.com/2015/5/30/8677315/rutgers-hockey-wait-did-you-say-hockey

There are comments on there that raise more questions. The $30 million from the B1G looks to be going to some facilities plan that's coming up, which Adriaan Klaassen (Rutgers assistant coach) is hoping to get Rutgers hockey to be part of that plan with a petition. I have know idea how big of a hole Rutgers athletic department is but it sounds like a very big hole and they'll need a big time donor to start a NCAA D1 hockey team plus Title IX.

Here's Klaassen's petition.

https://www.change.org/p/rutgers-athletics-make-ncaa-ice-hockey-a-reality-at-rutgers-university?recruiter=275151961&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_page&utm_term=mob-xs-no_src-no_msg

I can't imagine a nickel of that money being used for anything other than football and men's basketball.

If Rutgers is going to replace their old decrepid BB arena with a new modern one, it doesn't cost that much more to build it multipurpose with ice making capability. Alumni may chip in endowments for scholarships and a practice rink.

But that said, Rutgers and New Jersey seems to have so much graft and corruption, that good things there rarely happen it seems without so many people lining their pockets for doing nothing.

It's only a matter of time before Post is D-I in both men's and women's hockey. It wouldn't make sense for them to start those programs if they weren't going to be D-I.

Danbury Ct, thirty minutes from Waterbury, where Post is, wants a DI team for their arena. Danbury evicted the Danbury Whalers, a minor league team, and no longer has a hockey tenant of any stature. Waterbury doesn't have an indoor rink.

Here's the story on On The Banks Rutgers SB Nation site.

http://www.onthebanks.com/2015/5/30/8677315/rutgers-hockey-wait-did-you-say-hockey

There are comments on there that raise more questions. The $30 million from the B1G looks to be going to some facilities plan that's coming up, which Adriaan Klaassen (Rutgers assistant coach) is hoping to get Rutgers hockey to be part of that plan with a petition. I have know idea how big of a hole Rutgers athletic department is but it sounds like a very big hole and they'll need a big time donor to start a NCAA D1 hockey team plus Title IX.

Here's Klaassen's petition.

https://www.change.org/p/rutgers-athletics-make-ncaa-ice-hockey-a-reality-at-rutgers-university?recruiter=275151961&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_page&utm_term=mob-xs-no_src-no_msg

Too bad Tony Soprano passed away :)

• 3 weeks later...

A little off the wall, but a 4300 seat rink with another sheet of ice is proposed for Spearfish. They want to attract a NAHL team and SD tournaments. Could Black Hills St add hockey and join the WCHA? BHSU is DII now and would be eligible.

http://www.bhpioneer.com/article_85af189a-1f3f-11e5-83b6-cb29cfaf1492.html?mode=jqm

Could be trying to get in with the Montana and Wyoming teams in the NA3HL.

A little off the wall, but a 4300 seat rink with another sheet of ice is proposed for Spearfish. They want to attract a NAHL team and SD tournaments. Could Black Hills St add hockey and join the WCHA? BHSU is DII now and would be eligible.

http://www.bhpioneer.com/article_85af189a-1f3f-11e5-83b6-cb29cfaf1492.html?mode=jqm

That makes zero sense for the WCHA. Adding another team to make 11 in the conference and another team that causes ridiculously long road trips for schools whose budgets are already stretched extremely thin. The WCHA shouldn't be looked at as a dumping ground for the rest of college hockey.

• Upvote 3

That makes zero sense for the WCHA. Adding another team to make 11 in the conference and another team that causes ridiculously long road trips for schools whose budgets are already stretched extremely thin. The WCHA shouldn't be looked at as a dumping ground for the rest of college hockey.

So why is the WCHA trying so hard for Arizona State if they hate the idea of 11 and bad travel? The answer is that Simon Fraser will be added to the league as soon as another western team is also found. Four western teams could have their own division and the WCHA teams would no longer have to travel to Alaska twice in a year. Minot State wouldn't add a team now because they would be sent to an Alaska/western division. Black Hills St has aspirations to be the university of western SD, which is why they left the DAC to move to the RMAC. The attendance of the Rapid City Rush of the ECHL has gotten notice. Not saying BHSU will happen, but the WCHA will practically take any school out west if it means getting rid of their expensive Alaska problem of going their twice a year.

So why is the WCHA trying so hard for Arizona State if they hate the idea of 11 and bad travel? The answer is that Simon Fraser will be added to the league as soon as another western team is also found. Four western teams could have their own division and the WCHA teams would no longer have to travel to Alaska twice in a year. Minot State wouldn't add a team now because they would be sent to an Alaska/western division. Black Hills St has aspirations to be the university of western SD, which is why they left the DAC to move to the RMAC. The attendance of the Rapid City Rush of the ECHL has gotten notice. Not saying BHSU will happen, but the WCHA will practically take any school out west if it means getting rid of their expensive Alaska problem of going their twice a year.

I stopped taking this post seriously at Minot State.

I stopped taking this post seriously at Minot State.

So they moved to DII to get the football program higher? No. Hockey is the name of the game in Minot, just like Bemidji. The AD there even said it once, that want hockey at DI, but recanted it because it got them in trouble with the Northern Sun. Going DII gives them an option for DI hockey. Their club teams operate at ACHA Div I, the same level as Arizona State and their a power team at the level.

Seriously? You're comparing Arizona State to minot, Simon fraser, and bhsu? You can't be serious that you don't see the difference.

There are wcha schools that I believe have serious financial concerns, not all, but some. Adding ASU would bring some ae recognition and that makes the extra cost worthwhile. Adding random schools that no one ouside of the dakotas or anyone that has nsic connections has heard of for the sake of adding more teams does not.

I can't stress enough what the college realignment did to a lot of the wcha schools. The schools in the west that had the least revenue/endowments got put into a league that necessarily has the largest expenses and largest geographic region which makes it harder for fans to get invested and spend more money. It's not whining, it's just fact. Adding schools that, realistically, add nothing but another date on the calendar is foolish especially when it adds even more large expenses. The logic that the small budget schools are just going to take one for the team for "the goof of college hockey" doesn't make sense. They aren't going to do something that puts them financially at risk.

• Upvote 1

Minot State? SImon Fraser? Black Hills State? Man, looks like someone started to celebrate Independence Day early :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seriously? You're comparing Arizona State to minot, Simon fraser, and bhsu? You can't be serious that you don't see the difference.

There are wcha schools that I believe have serious financial concerns, not all, but some. Adding ASU would bring some ae recognition and that makes the extra cost worthwhile. Adding random schools that no one ouside of the dakotas or anyone that has nsic connections has heard of for the sake of adding more teams does not.

I can't stress enough what the college realignment did to a lot of the wcha schools. The schools in the west that had the least revenue/endowments got put into a league that necessarily has the largest expenses and largest geographic region which makes it harder for fans to get invested and spend more money. It's not whining, it's just fact. Adding schools that, realistically, add nothing but another date on the calendar is foolish especially when it adds even more large expenses. The logic that the small budget schools are just going to take one for the team for "the goof of college hockey" doesn't make sense. They aren't going to do something that puts them financially at risk.

The WCHA and you have some serious issues by failing to understand Arizona State will not go to the WCHA. It's a league mostly full of DII schools, not that there's anything wrong with that, but ASU is not going to sully it's reputation going that direction.

If ASU goes to the NCHC, it's either with another PAC12 school, like Arizona, or with Bowling Green. Bowling Green is leaving the WCHA no matter what, and they may take Ferris with them to a new league based around Lake Erie, as BHSU can't stand the travel or being consigned to a league that is mostly DII schools.

No matter what happens, the WCHA will need more teams, whether it is Simon Fraser, Minot State, or Lindenwood. Deal with it. The WCHA is hardly in a position where it can be picky.

Black Hills State was only mentioned as a long term potential add because Spearfish has a new arena complex coming aboard. If you don't to know about new arenas, don't read here.

• Downvote 1