SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

MSU-Mankato and Michigan Tech are relevant and in the conversation today. To those schools that is significant.

Hear! Hear! I could not be happier for the fans of Tech and Mankato. Great to see those programs playing at a high level. I'm excited to see Tech take the ice in the NCAA tournament.

Lets be honest, would Mankato or Michigan Tech be rated so high if they played in the NCHC, especially after christmas? The truth will come out during the NCAA playoffs. I could be wrong but I have a feeling an NCHC team will be taking home the big prize this year.

I took the same attitude toward Ferris State last year, and they definitely held their own in that regional.

Lets be honest, would Mankato or Michigan Tech be rated so high if they played in the NCHC, especially after christmas? The truth will come out during the NCAA playoffs. I could be wrong but I have a feeling an NCHC team will be taking home the big prize this year.

Well, when half the tournament field is from the NCHC, I don;t blame you for having that feeling!!

Hear! Hear! I could not be happier for the fans of Tech and Mankato. Great to see those programs playing at a high level. I'm excited to see Tech take the ice in the NCAA tournament.

But would they be there if this was the old WCHA? 

You guys have to get over the perceptions that you have. Msu has the #12 sos, und has the #8. Is that really that big of a difference that you can really say that they would fall down? It's an argument based upon history and not upon anything in today's reality.

There is argument to be made that the nchc isn't as good as the numbers make it look like. That's not to say it isn't the strongest league in the country. It is. But the pwr, krach and rpi all weight the out of conference results extremely heavy, arguably too heavy. The nchc did amazing in the ooc this year,but teams like uno did great and they likely aren't that good of a team when looking at their whole body of work. And for those that will inevitably say I hate the nchc, I also don't think that the league was as bad as last year when they needed Miami to come out of nowhere last year to win the tourney to make the ncaa's. I just think that the formulas that are used are flawed to inflate the nchc this year and downgraded it last year.

Where would CC be if this was the "old" WCHA?

Pearson and Hastings have changed the culture of Tech and Mankato - I have no doubt they would have been successful in the old conference.

Where would CC be if this was the "old" WCHA?

Pearson and Hastings have changed the culture of Tech and Mankato - I have no doubt they would have been successful in the old conference.

C.C. would be right where they are right now. I imagine. 

Massey Ratings also have 6 NCHC teams in the top 11.

Thats dang near the whole conference taking up every other spot in the top of college hockey.

Which also uses sos, so my point remains....the ooc sos inflates things. I don't think there's a better way, just that the nchc may (I stres, MAY) be a bit of an aeration this year.

oh yeah, msu and Tech are also 2 and 3 in that one as well, so I think the resounding answer is, yes, they would be on the same level in the nchc. That's basing it on any objective measure without long standing biases.

Would WMU really volunteer to leave the best hockey conference in the nation to join that list of dregs?  True, they would be a good fit in that conference but I can't see their fan base being too happy about it, other than the opportunity to hit a few closer road games.  If we can't expand the NCHC with the right schools then I'm against expansion all together. 

If INCH is correct about a $21 mill deficit in WMU athletics, they might have to.  A bus league, unlike the WCHA or NCHC.

Which also uses sos, so my point remains....the ooc sos inflates things. I don't think there's a better way, just that the nchc may (I stres, MAY) be a bit of an aeration this year.

oh yeah, msu and Tech are also 2 and 3 in that one as well, so I think the resounding answer is, yes, they would be on the same level in the nchc. That's basing it on any objective measure without long standing biases.

I tend to agree...the NCHC may be a little inflated this year and the WCHA may be a bit undervalued but this is the formula they are using so that's what everybody is dealing with.  I still think the top 5 teams in the NCHC are good enough THIS YEAR to make the tourney no matter what formula you use.  I'm glad for Mankato and Tech, hope to see you guys in the tourney...

Note:  You said aeration, did you mean aberration?

I tend to agree...the NCHC may be a little inflated this year and the WCHA may be a bit undervalued but this is the formula they are using so that's what everybody is dealing with. I still think the top 5 teams in the NCHC are good enough THIS YEAR to make the tourney no matter what formula you use. I'm glad for Mankato and Tech, hope to see you guys in the tourney...

Note: You said aeration, did you mean aberration?

Haha...my fat fingers suck at typing on the cell phone. Thank goodness I'm not a teenager.

• 2 weeks later...

Post, a DII for-profit 7000 student school in Waterbury, Ct, is adding M/W hockey. The women's team is automatically eligible for the DI tournament, depending on their schedule. The men's team will be in the NE10 DII league, but AHA and DI membership wouldn't seem out of the question down the road.

Post, a DII for-profit 7000 student school in Waterbury, Ct, is adding M/W hockey. The women's team is automatically eligible for the DI tournament, depending on their schedule. The men's team will be in the NE10 DII league, but AHA and DI membership wouldn't seem out of the question down the road.

NE 10 is a D3 conference with D2 teams in it, none of the D2 schools get to play in the post season.

It's only a matter of time before Post is D-I in both men's and women's hockey.  It wouldn't make sense for them to start those programs if they weren't going to be D-I.

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo...is it feasable?

URI has an on campus rinks, needs to play football in the low scholarship NEC instead of the CAA, where URI isn't competitive, and to top it off, schools such as Providence, Yale, and Union have just won championships in hockey. It would improve revenues for URI, if they didn't spend so much on football, where they have no chance.

A feasibility study is not requested unless URI knows the answers it wants. Kind of like UAB's President directing Carr Associates to write a report on why they should drop football. Every DI study ever done was requested by a President that already knew the answer, but had to get PR ammunition.

A split of the AHA seems inevitable now, with Liberty, URI, maybe Post, and maybe Navy joining the eastern teams, which want lower scholarships.

A new autobid conference may come out of this for women too.

• 1 month later...

New Jersey had about 45 players in NCAA Division 1 hockey this year,but from I am hearing from our athletic department, we won't be adding any new sports for quite a long time. Rutgers does not get the full Big Ten share of TV,bowl games,NCAA Basketball,etc. money for five more years. The figure I keep hearing to start a program and build a hockey arena is over $100 million.