SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

I'm fine with SCSU being in the NCHC due to how they have performed since been invited. However, this conference was founded with the idea of using schools that put hockey as their number one priority right? SCSU counts to that. However I don't think that applies to WMU ,who being FBS, is a much bigger school. So the question is, was this conference founded for hockey priority, or biggest FBS/FCS with hockey?  I'm not going to get into a debate over Mankato's skill level on the ice but by far hockey has to be their number 1 program am I correct? 

Personally, as a fan who doesn't have much connection with Mankato, I would rather see ASU and Bowling Green join, despite the fact that neither are hockey oriented schools. 

10 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

While I agree with this, why does Duluth get a pass?  

They have a national title banner in the rafters, they built a new arena, they seem quite committed to hockey. Plus Sandelin? lol ;):lol:

To keep this going, why CC? Never mind, every conference needs a doormat or two. 

• Upvote 2

I like Mankato and would be fine with adding them. I'm not as sure on adding Arizona State they need to get the arena situation figured out. Bowling Green does nothing for me, I'd put Mankato and Bemidji ahead of both Arizona State and Bowling Green if the NCHC is adding teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Per Schloss and I believe that I mentioned that in the past. 

Some members of the NCHC are wary about the arena situation there — Arizona State has nothing concrete yet — but all signs point to a strong possibility that the Sun Devils wind up in the NCHC.

56 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

While I agree with this, why does Duluth get a pass?  

Duluth is part of the University of Minnesota system and is therefore much better funded than the state system schools. Duluth also has a shiny new arena and a banner. 

43 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

To keep this going, why CC? Never mind, every conference needs a doormat or two. 

CC has great academics and a solid commitment to hockey. They're also a D1 member of Conference USA for women's soccer, FWIW.

i think this delay/announcement by the nchc is for unlv to get their stuff together...nchs is holding spot ten for unlv and has a side agreement with asu that they already have the ninth spot...or seventh and eighth if western and miami leave in a couple of years..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NoDakFan said:

I'm fine with SCSU being in the NCHC due to how they have performed since been invited. However, this conference was founded with the idea of using schools that put hockey as their number one priority right? SCSU counts to that. However I don't think that applies to WMU ,who being FBS, is a much bigger school. So the question is, was this conference founded for hockey priority, or biggest FBS/FCS with hockey?  I'm not going to get into a debate over Mankato's skill level on the ice but by far hockey has to be their number 1 program am I correct? 

Personally, as a fan who doesn't have much connection with Mankato, I would rather see ASU and Bowling Green join, despite the fact that neither are hockey oriented schools. 

The only two sports that SCSU predominantly has going for them are men's hockey and wrestling. Grappling program is an absolute powerhouse, and as we know they've definitely made a case for being strong contenders in the NCHC since the conference opened and placed its teams on the ice. It was definitely bold to extend invitation to them, but since they've proved themselves, I, too, see nothing wrong with it. Bobby is doing big things there and will continue to if they recruit high caliber athletes.

For Mankato, their two big teams are hockey and football. The latter is usually at the top of the NSIC and has been for a great majority of the last decade. I remember being a student at Winona State for a year, and when they came in, they wiped the floor with us. Same thing happened on a visit to WSU's homecoming a year later. Educationally, things seem to be firming up there too. 

My initial reaction to seeing Mankato applying to the NCHC was "Why?". That's it. It can most definitely cut travel costs, especially when traveling to the Alaskans or UAH, but it simply gives me a funny feeling. It'd be fun to see Bowling Green get thrown into the mix but that too feels silly. As we know there are many things that go into membership.

15 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i think this delay/announcement by the nchc is for unlv to get their stuff together...nchs is holding spot ten for unlv and has a side agreement with asu that they already have the ninth spot...or seventh and eighth if western and miami leave in a couple of years..

U of AZ might not be that far behind either. I think Pac 12 hockey starts earlier than we expect. Stanford will come out of nowhere, and Scott McNealy will be a part of it.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

The only two sports that SCSU predominantly has going for them are men's hockey and wrestling. Grappling program is an absolute powerhouse, and as we know they've definitely made a case for being strong contenders in the NCHC since the conference opened and placed its teams on the ice. It was definitely bold to extend invitation to them, but since they've proved themselves, I, too, see nothing wrong with it. Bobby is doing big things there and will continue to if they recruit high caliber athletes.

For Mankato, their two big teams are hockey and football. The latter is usually at the top of the NSIC and has been for a great majority of the last decade. I remember being a student at Winona State for a year, and when they came in, they wiped the floor with us. Same thing happened on a visit to WSU's homecoming a year later. Educationally, things seem to be firming up there too. 

My initial reaction to seeing Mankato applying to the NCHC was "Why?". That's it. It can most definitely cut travel costs, especially when traveling to the Alaskans or UAH, but it simply gives me a funny feeling. It'd be fun to see Bowling Green get thrown into the mix but that too feels silly. As we know there are many things that go into membership.

Both Mankato and St. Cloud have very good D2 baseball programs that have been perennial playoff teams and on top of the NSIC. I believe Mankato made it to the National Championship game a couple years ago.

To me this isn't a smart move by Mankato, as of right now they are playing for the MacNaughton Cup and Broadmoor Trophy. Two trophies they would never win in the old WCHA. If Mankato is added to the NCHC they would most likely finish above Western Michigan in the conference, in the race of who doesn't play UND, St. Cloud, or Denver in the first round of the playoffs. Out of all the WCHA teams I'd have in the NCHC is Michigan Tech, Mel Pearson has turn that team from finishing last to co-champs and should have gotten them in the NCAA's back to back years. Would Michigan Tech have success in the NCHC? Probably not. Mankato was the last D1 school to get any money from the state of Minnesota for improvements to their arena after they were suppose to get it. For Mankato the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I see Arizona making the jump before UNLV, because of how the Coyotes are trying to market hockey in Arizona.

3 hours ago, Goon said:

Per Schloss and I believe that I mentioned that in the past. 

Some members of the NCHC are wary about the arena situation there — Arizona State has nothing concrete yet — but all signs point to a strong possibility that the Sun Devils wind up in the NCHC.

I think this was a done deal back when CHN posted their story. After the CHN story WCHA went quiet and the NCHC told Arizona State to keep quiet about the issue. Another thing that has delayed the announcement of Arizona State to the NCHC is that the NCHC doesn't want any conference games played at Oceanside Arena and wants those games at Gila River Arena or the new Coyotes Arena.

1 hour ago, #MACtion said:

A big huge NO to Mankato.  May as well never formed the NCHC if you are gonna drag all the same schools back.  No more Minnesota schools.  I know many here may not care but if there was a way to upset Miami and WMU then this would be the way.  Hopefully this is just a desperation play by begging in public to be added as they know ASU and BG are being considered.

I agree with you. Miami should try and talk Cincinnati to look into moving their club team to NCAA D1. Illinois State would be another good add for the NCHC to help Miami and Western Michigan. Illinois state has the USHL arena they could use and do play in.

The next new programs are going to come from the West, Midwest, or Alabama. Those are the places new teams in the NCHC are going to come from, lets face it the NCHC wants to get Power 5 schools in the conference to combat the B1G when proposals come up for hockey. For a WCHA team to get added to the NCHC they are going to have to sell themselves really well to the NCHC front offices and current member schools. But I could see the NCHC take an Alaska school to help out the WCHA.  

I don't think the NCHC needs to expand at all, but I don't mind the idea of Arizona state.  The exposure they bring is obvious and it would be great for recruiting.

I also think they can be added alone.  9 teams is fine.  That allows you to maintain a 24 game schedule play 4 teams 4 times and the remaining four just twice.  So you would play every school home and away 3 times in 4 years.

Keeping 10 nonconference games is important for pair wise but would allow Denver and CC to schedule non conference series if they want to play 4 times annually. Adding a 10th team almost requires more conference games, which would hurt the chances of the NCHC advancing more teams to the NCAA tournament. 

I think the only other team is under serious consideration would be Bowling Green, to consolidate the MAC schools.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, southpaw said:

In Mankato's defense, they do have the benefit of being a bus drive from four current schools.  

Dont forget Mettlers!  That and there are a ton of Sioux fans that use to drive down from the Twin Cities to Mankato for the games!