SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

25 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

On USCHO, WCHA commissioner Robertson said he'said hoping they expand by two western teams and go to two divisions.  Mentioned Ariz St, but won't mention the other.

Guess that rules out the AHA teams joining the WCHA.

That NCHC to add 4 AHA teams rumor was shot down by Motzko.

10 hours ago, cberkas said:

Miami looking at NCAA D1 hockey hummm.

Justin Emerson@J15Emerson 7h7 hours ago

Plus rumors of UNLV, Miami and unnamed Pac-12 schools looking to make the jump to NCAA D1. Fun time for #cawlidgehawkey

The University of Utah is moving up to ACHA D1. 

That's all the sport of college hockey needs is a team that has shown a win at all costs history in other sports. Don't want college hockey to have a mentality "If you're not cheating, you're not trying", which in turn leaves the programs that follow the rules at a disadvantage.  Don't want it to be like college football where a guy that verbally commits early is still a big question mark on signing day. 

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, cberkas said:

The Minot State article about them going NCAA D1 (you might have to pay to see it).

http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/631842/Why-not-Minot-.html?nav=5016

Moderator edit - article removed. Sorry, but posting the entire text of articles is actually illegal. You can post summaries or a few interesting quotes under the "fair use" provision of copyright law, but not the entire text.

Edited by jimdahl
  • Upvote 1

So Hypothetically what if I did this? :D

Guidelines

Posting Guidelines

Each member bears the sole responsibility for the content of his or her posts, including but not limited to legal liability for posts that are libelous, threatening, or that infringe on another's copyright. Submitted posts are displayed without moderation and are not the opinions of this site or its affiliates. Posts may be removed at the sole discretion of the moderators.

Do

• Think about if you would say it to the subject's face. Players, friends, families, media, and staff do read the forum.
  • Use descriptive thread titles. Make your thread title descriptive of the content of the post so readers can choose those threads that interest them.
  • Welcome newcomers. Newcomers may need help acclimating to the culture of the forum or may not be aware that certain discussions have become nearly cliche. Be helpful.
  • Welcome differing point of view. While Sioux fans may disagree on many topics, one also need not even be a Sioux fan to be interested in the Sioux and able to discuss them within the confines described.
  • Help maintain community standards. Actively participate in keeping the community standards high by guiding other posters toward polite discourse; ignoring trolls or flamebait; and, as a last resort, reporting trouble posts.
  • Selectively quote copyrighted material within "fair use" guidelines. Also be sure to cite, and link if possible, the original source. Reward other sites for their quality material by sending them traffic (as opposed to stealing and reproducing their content).
  • Post relevant items for sale. If an item is specifically relevant to the forum, you can make a post offering it for sale in a dedicated "for sale" thread or forum.
  • Ask for clarification. Feel free to ask questions about and discuss these rules and the moderating policy in the SiouxSports.com administrative forum.

Don't

• No personal attacks, defamation, or libel
  • No profanity or obscenity
  • No racial, ethnic, or sexual slurs
  • No threats or harassment
  • No illegal activities
  • No politics or religion
  • No copyright violations. Do not reproduce entire articles, forum posts, or other content you do not own.
  • No thread hijacking or killing. Do not flood threads with repeated or unrelated posts that interfere with the community's ability to have a discussion.
  • No "Troll" posts. Posts whose sole purpose is to taunt or generate anger are not allowed. Such judgments will be made at the sole discretion of the moderating staff.
  • No posing as someone else (e.g. a player, coach, other forum member, or other known person)
  • No revealing private information about others (without their consent or their having already revealed it)
  • No bandwidth hijacking (e.g. do not directly link to external images)
  • No repetitive posts with links to third-party sites (particularly those for which you are employed or have an ownership interest). Advertising pays the bills, so it would harm our advertisers to allow you to reach the community for free.
  • No private, personal, or off-topic conversations. Messages should be of general interest and about the stated forum topic. Use PM or email for messages intended for a single person or small group of people.
  • No circumventing suspensions (for example, by using alternate accounts or attempting to register for a new account)
  • No misuse or overuse of large images, text styles, emoticons, capitalization, or misspelling. Judgment as to whether the use of elements other than standard text is excessive or with the intent to annoy will be made at the sole discretion of the moderating staff.
  • No deceptive use of multiple usernames.
  • No bumping threads. Do not post in threads for the sole purpose of making them rise to the top of the display. Avoid posting in old threads or responding to old posts without compelling reason.

About freedom of speech

This is a privately owned forum on which you may be permitted to post messages at the sole discretion of its owners.

About rule enforcement

Violation of any of the posted rules may result in post deletion, user suspension, or user banning. Other, similar violations of a rule will not be considered as a defense, it is up to you to be familiar with and follow the rules.

About reporting a post

Pressing the "Report" button on a post will bring it to the attention of the moderators. Such a notification does not guarantee any particular action, and may not elicit any further response as the moderators may choose to evaluate the post and conduct any appropriate response privately.

About license

By posting a message to this forum, you grant SiouxSports.com unrestricted license to reproduce it in any medium without notification or compensation. SiouxSports.com has no obligation to remove or edit any submitted post.

•  

On 7/2/2015 at 9:19 PM, SiouxVolley said:

So they moved to DII to get the football program higher? No. Hockey is the name of the game in Minot, just like Bemidji. The AD there even said it once, that want hockey at DI, but recanted it because it got them in trouble with the Northern Sun. Going DII gives them an option for DI hockey. Their club teams operate at ACHA Div I, the same level as Arizona State and their a power team at the level.

I got some serious grief for this in this thread.  Sometimes my predictions do come true.

39 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

I got some serious grief for this in this thread.  Sometimes my predictions do come true.

They said it's 10-20 years out, so I'd hold off on the back-pats for a bit.

On another note, could this be retribution from Shirley, trying to take a bite out of UND's market? (I'm sure it's not, but the timing is interesting to me)

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

They said it's 10-20 years out, so I'd hold off on the back-pats for a bit.

On another note, could this be retribution from Shirley, trying to take a bite out of UND's market? (I'm sure it's not, but the timing is interesting to me)

You are missing the big picture.  If one knows the strategic vision, one knows what the President will do given the resources.

Minot St needs DI hockey for recruiting students, including from Saskatchewan and Manitoba.  There revealed that DI hockey is part of the plan all along, whether you admit that or not.

UND and all the other XDSU's and USD want to be higher in research and that means FBS football.

U Mary wants to be a DI school eventually in a low conference like Oral Roberts and serve Bismarck in an even greater capacity.

Jamestown U wants to be a DII school in the Northern Sun to attract more Minnesotans.

All of the school's are doing things that conform with their visions.  Shirley doesnt have a beef with UND.  He's just responding as expected to Minot State's long term vision.  Minot St will be much more successful that Moorhead in fundraising, because it's more of a civic deal for Minot and because there are a lot of local people sitting on oil royalties that don't have plans for their money.

Its either going to be the NCHC or WCHA, my money is on the NCHC, NCHC would love to have the Pac12 and western states connection, especially with UNLV looking to add D1 hockey in the next few years. The thing that may bode well for the WCHA is that AZ state has a fighting chance to win against Fairbanks, Anchorage, Lake State, and Huntsville. That said when AZ took on the Beavers then lost 6-0 so their would be some difficulty when they start to play the middle and Top of the pack WCHA teams.But other than maybe CC I think ASU would have a very difficult time in the NCHC,

19 hours ago, cberkas said:

Rutgers talking about B1G hockey again.

http://www.onthebanks.com/2016/3/23/11290468/notre-dame-big-ten-hockey-rutgers-hockey-frozen-four

And their insider claiming that there are B1G schools looking to add hockey (in the comments).

Supposedly Iowa is seriously looking at hockey and building an on campus arena. Some guy on Reddit has been saying it over and over for a few weeks and a Notre Dame fan said there were a few people from Iowa's athletic department visiting Notre Dame earlier this year to check out their arena. 

I'm still skeptical about it. I've heard from a lot of Iowa people that it will almost surely never happen without a donor like Pegula.

Edit: And that insider is the coach of their club hockey team. He's been very outgoing and public about trying to make Rutgers DI and he's probably a good source. If he says there are other schools looking at the idea he's probably not wrong.

47 minutes ago, GFG said:

Supposedly Iowa is seriously looking at hockey and building an on campus arena. Some guy on Reddit has been saying it over and over for a few weeks and a Notre Dame fan said there were a few people from Iowa's athletic department visiting Notre Dame earlier this year to check out their arena. 

I'm still skeptical about it. I've heard from a lot of Iowa people that it will almost surely never happen without a donor like Pegula.

Edit: And that insider is the coach of their club hockey team. He's been very outgoing and public about trying to make Rutgers DI and he's probably a good source. If he says there are other schools looking at the idea he's probably not wrong.

Google Coralville and Iowa Arena.  Supposedly Coralville, which is Iowa City western suburb, is building the arena for a new USHL team and the Iowa club team.  A club team doesn't need a 6200 seat arena.  Something is up.  Iowa doesn't need an arena donor, just scholarship endowments like Ariz St.

30 minutes ago, GFG said:

He's actually not a coach at Rutgers, he's the general manager.

He's been very vague on everything he says he knows. I can't say he's been right about anything yet. I'll listen to what he says, but until he's right about something I'll take it with a grain of salt.

Rutgers AD on adding hockey.

http://www.nj.com/rutgers/index.ssf/2016/03/rutgers_ice_hockey_pat_hobbs.html

"The honest answer is not in the short run,'' he said. "I don't want to kid people about the challenge of doing that. You have to keep an eye toward your finances. And we're not in a financial position to do that here right now.''

"I actually have a proposal on my desk that I haven't had a chance to look at yet, from folks who want to support hockey,'' he told the students. "But it's a very, very expensive proposition. And as I've said to anybody we've talked to about this, before we add sports, we have to make sure that the sports we have are fully supported. We're not doing that. I'm open to anything long-term. But first let's make sure the sports that we have are supported.''

• 2 weeks later...

This could get the Arizona Wildcats to jump to NCAA D1.

http://arizonasports.com/story/629294/coyotes-likely-to-move-ahl-affiliate-to-tucson-next-season/

LeBlanc has long coveted Tucson as the site of the team’s AHL franchise because it is the second-largest market in Arizona. The proximity of Tucson would make it far easier to call up players in the event of injuries. The team also hopes to expand hockey’s footprint across the state and this move is seen as a step in that direction.

The City of Tucson has no ice sheets for youth hockey other than the part-time ice available at the Tucson Convention Center, but this move could spur the construction of rinks for a local youth program to continue hockey’s growth in Arizona.