SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

The worst opposing team to have taken the ice in Grand Forks in a decade is now up 3-0 on Mankato.

I don't know how some people thought that just because it was Bemidji especially when they usually play UND pretty tough. Even watching that game you could see Bemidji had a lot more speed and better goaltending than some previous years their problem this year has been consistency. I'm still trying to figure out how bad they must have played last weekend to get swept by Lake Superior State.

I don't know how some people thought that just because it was Bemidji especially when they usually play UND pretty tough. Even watching that game you could see Bemidji had a lot more speed and better goaltending than some previous years their problem this year has been consistency. I'm still trying to figure out how bad they must have played last weekend to get swept by Lake Superior State.

I agree with Mafia Man. The Beavers beat us in game 1 this season and, as stated, they always seem to play us tough at the Ralph. I gotta think Lake Inferior State and Niagara were worst teams this season at the Ralph, let alone in the last decade.
  • Upvote 1

So, any clue as to the attendance figures by individual games at the Xcel for the NSCC? You would think with the Goofers in it (home away from home game at the Ralph East) and 3 other Minn teams from within 90 min - 3 hours away minimum would be 8k - 10k fans a game. Hell, the Sioux would pack 5k fans minimum alone.

My sources in the UP tell me that Bemidji State badly outplayed LSSU, not the other way around. Friday's game was a 1-0 loss for the Beavers and they outshot the Lakers 44-26 on the night. The game-winning goal was a PP goal scored at the 19:59 mark of the 3rd period. Yes, with 1 second left in the game.

Saturday's game was similar in SOG's - 34 to 18 in favor of Bemidji State. Bitzer did not have a great game though, giving up 4 goals on those 18 shots. LSSU's Gordon Defiel stopped 76 of 78 Beaver shots on the weekend. The Lakers have been playing much better as of late - a lot better than earlier this season.

I agree with MafiaMan. The Beavers beat us in game 1 this season and, as stated, they always seem to play us tough at the Ralph. I gotta think Lake Inferior State and Niagara were worst teams this season at the Ralph, let alone in the last decade.

I'm being somewhat facetious, but folks were beyond peeved at the 5-1 home loss to Bemidji to start the season.  I said that Bemidji would be a tough team this season - and they've certainly shown that lately.  They now own wins over North Dakota, Minnesota-Duluth, and Mankato, 3 of the top 10 teams in the country, this season. 

I'm being somewhat facetious, but folks were beyond peeved at the 5-1 home loss to Bemidji to start the season. I said that Bemidji would be a tough team this season - and they've certainly shown that lately. They now own wins over North Dakota, Minnesota-Duluth, and Mankato, 3 of the top 10 teams in the country, this season.

Agruably 3 of the top 5.

At one point maybe even THE 3 best teams in the country.

I agree with Mafia Man. The Beavers beat us in game 1 this season and, as stated, they always seem to play us tough at the Ralph. I gotta think Lake Inferior State and Niagara were worst teams this season at the Ralph, let alone in the last decade.

Has it already been a decade since the gophers were at the Ralph????

hoohoahahahahaha, I needed that, zing

My sources in the UP tell me that Bemidji State badly outplayed LSSU, not the other way around. Friday's game was a 1-0 loss for the Beavers and they outshot the Lakers 44-26 on the night. The game-winning goal was a PP goal scored at the 19:59 mark of the 3rd period. Yes, with 1 second left in the game.

Saturday's game was similar in SOG's - 34 to 18 in favor of Bemidji State. Bitzer did not have a great game though, giving up 4 goals on those 18 shots. LSSU's Gordon Defiel stopped 76 of 78 Beaver shots on the weekend. The Lakers have been playing much better as of late - a lot better than earlier this season.

Blemish I is badly outplaying everyone right now. Msu didn't look like it belonged on th same rink yesterday. Kudos to them for a darn good performance this weekend.

There is some talk over on GPL that the 4th place team should be "relegated" and not participate in the following year's tournament. I'm guessing that that's just Gopher frustration talking but it would certainly make that 3rd place game more interesting, wouldn't it? With Minnesota as the "permanent host" of the NSCC though, it'll never happen. Or will it?

Secondly, would that permanent host school dare bring up the idea of instituting a "Gopher Rule" as a way of maximizing attendance/revenue? It's obviously already in effect on Fridays, so why not make it happen on Saturdays as well?

So how's the start of the Gophers season going, Mariucci?

They are down but not out with 14 conference games remaining...but they have definitely looked less than impressive lately. Their best bet to make the NCAAs at this point may be to win their conference tourney...not sure they can get an at-large bid playing other Little 6 teams as they are currently sitting at 20 in the Pairwise. Their biggest challenge will be figuring out how to turn this latest slide around. Bucky up next at the Kohl Center, stay tuned.

They are down but not out with 14 conference games remaining...but they have definitely looked less than impressive lately. Their best bet to make the NCAAs at this point may be to win their conference tourney...not sure they can get an at-large bid playing other Little 6 teams as they are currently sitting at 20 in the Pairwise. Their biggest challenge will be figuring out how to turn this latest slide around. Bucky up next at the Kohl Center, stay tuned.

Minnesota's only real shot at moving UP in the PWR went up in smoke this weekend. They're 11-9-2 with 12 of those 14 games against PWR killers Wisconsin (2), Ohio State (4), Michigan State (2), and Penn State (4). Anything less than 12-0 is likely to send them spiraling down further than where they are now.

Minnesota's only real shot at moving UP in the PWR went up in smoke this weekend. They're 11-9-2 with 12 of those 14 games against PWR killers Wisconsin (2), Ohio State (4), Michigan State (2), and Penn State (4). Anything less than 12-0 is likely to send them spiraling down further than where they are now.

I'm still shocked this happened to that team. I like it but it's confusing at the same time.