SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

Haha....kinda like your team is mostly Canadians, eh?

That was a tongue-in-cheek post by Rednek, bale, in reference to Lucia's comment about the age of Mankato's players. Somewhat similar to the company line last spring when some Gopher fans felt a title was a done deal against a school they'd never heard of, then when Union started rolling MN, the discussion turned to how old the Union players were. Nevermind that the two oldest players on the ice were wearing M's on their jerseys...
  • Upvote 1

Even though it resulted in a penalty and risked the game, the goalie really stood up for his teammate by taking the net off. A great team move. Then he got to save the resulting penalty shot.

Doug McLeod: "Nelson is still down...the ref isn't buying it."

Had that been Kyle Rau, it would have gone something like this:

'Rau is writhing around on the ice in obvious pain...I cannot believe the ref is letting play continue! Oh the humanity...'

• Upvote 1

That was a tongue-in-cheek post by Rednek, bale, in reference to Lucia's comment about the age of Mankato's players. Somewhat to the company line last spring when some Gopher fans felt a title was a done deal against a school they'd never heard of, then when Union started rolling MN, the discussion turned to how old the Union players were. Nevermind that the two oldest players on the ice were wearing M's on their jerseys...

I know it was. Mine was tongue-in-cheek too. I should know better than to not include a smiley face when people don't know my sarcastic nature. My bad.

What is your take on Nelson being down and play continuing? Twice in that sequence a Mav player had to either jump over his leg or avoid his stick - either time could have resulted in another potential injury or further injury to Nelson. I thought play could have easily been stopped without too much argument.

Doug McLeod: "Nelson is still down...the ref isn't buying it."

Had that been Kyle Rau, it would have gone something like this:

'Rau is writhing around on the ice in obvious pain...I cannot believe the ref is letting play continue! Oh the humanity...'

Yeah...not sure what got into the ref's heads during the last period. It was like the one dude wanted the spotlight. The other ref forced him to call the match minors earlier and both were bogus calls.

He was a minimum of 80 feet away and made a call on themavs when the play was 10 feet in front of the other dude. Ref A makes the call and ref B says says no it wasn't a penalty and basically forces ref A to even it up. It was dumb. They let the teams play for 2 periods and then decide they want to get some attention so they started calling everything.

What is your take on Nelson being down and play continuing? Twice in that sequence a Mav player had to either jump over his leg or avoid his stick - either time could have resulted in another potential injury or further injury to Nelson. I thought play could have easily been stopped without too much argument.

I understood why they let the play go at first, but when the puck got out to the blue line and the gophers were just passing it back and forth, you gotta blow the whistle. Williams thought he was making a good play and turned out as a good one (results wise) but he never should have been put in that situation.

I think the Mavs had a pretty big cheering section last night and they did not disappoint.

Are the organizers of the tourney going to request that the times of the Championship and 3rd place games be flip-flopped? Wouldn't want to confuse the gofer fans by having their team play in the afternoon. ;)

I understood why they let the play go at first, but when the puck got out to the blue line and the gophers were just passing it back and forth, you gotta blow the whistle. Williams thought he was making a good play and turned out as a good one (results wise) but he never should have been put in that situation.

I thought the same thing as well - Nelson was down at the 1:33 mark and play continued to 1:13.  The first Gopher pass went directly to the area by him on the ice and I already mentioned the Mav player (believe it was the same defender both times) jumping over his leg and then his stick.  Kudos to Williams for sticking up for his player and saying "I'll take a penalty shot...just get my teammate off the ice and some medical attention." 

I think the Mavs had a pretty big cheering section last night and they did not disappoint.

Are the organizers of the tourney going to request that the times of the Championship and 3rd place games be flip-flopped? Wouldn't want to confuse the gofer fans by having their team play in the afternoon. ;)

It won't happen this year...but I would bet that the "permanent host" of the tournament might suggest it as a change next year.  Under the guise of "maximizing attendance," of course.  :hypocrite:

BTW, one fan over at GPL did inquire last night about today's game-time and if the "Gopher Rule" was in effect this weekend.  MN has it's own gobc too - the Gopher Old Boys Club.  It's on the agenda at Monday's meeting at the King of Diamonds in Inver Grove Heights.  :)

Sioux and duluth each spanked badly by Bemidji. Maybe Sandy and Hak should swap positions?

Yeah, and wasn't that first game of the year only the first or second time they have beaten UND? Bemidji is 10-7-1 against Duluth in their last 18 according to the announcers.

I thought the same thing as well - Nelson was down at the 1:33 mark and play continued to 1:13.  The first Gopher pass went directly to the area by him on the ice and I already mentioned the Mav player (believe it was the same defender both times) jumping over his leg and then his stick.  Kudos to Williams for sticking up for his player and saying "I'll take a penalty shot...just get my teammate off the ice and some medical attention." 

Williams actually said after the game he didn't know they could take a penalty shot and thought it would just be a penalty. Either way probably not a bad move to get the whistle since it was basically a 6-on-3 at the time and the Mankato players looked absolutely gassed as well.