SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

Name another team that lost the kinds of players that Wisconsin did after last season. Not an excuse. Just the nature of the beast. I'm by no means an apologist, it's just how I see it.

Didn't UND loose more scoring a few years ago then Wisconsin did last year?

I really, REALLY miss the good old days.   Not that a Gopher would EVER be brave enough to dive into an opponent's bench.  

I wasn't at the (original) water bottle game, but I was at the Dane County Coliseum the following year.   Intense.   A lot of stuff right out of Slap Shot ...  

The coliseum was a great venue, much like the old barn and the old ralph.   I moved to Wisconsin in 1984 after having spent many years living in warm weather, hockey-deprived states.   No internet to follow the games back then, just newspapers, many of which not cover college hockey.  So when I got to Wisconsin and started to get reengaged in college hockey, I was struck by how passionate Wisconsin fans were about the Badger/Sioux rivalry.   But it was a good passion, and nearly everyone spoke with appreciation and respect for the Sioux program, despite the fights and the intensity.   They just loved playing UND.

They despised the gophers, of course, and still do. 

Name another team that lost the kinds of players that Wisconsin did after last season. Not an excuse. Just the nature of the beast. I'm by no means an apologist, it's just how I see it.

Yeah they lost a number of guys but many programs have lost even more talent and not been as bad as they have this year. Going into last season Minnesota lost 5 players early to the pros and they still reloaded and ended up in the National Championship and we lost 6 Seniors plus Forbort early that year and still ended up in the Frozen Four. Going into the 2011-2012 season we lost 7 Seniors, 2 guys that would have been Juniors transferred plus Gregoire and Hextall went pro early but we still ended up 26-13-3 and won the Final 5. I have no sympathy for Eaves and Wisco a lot of teams have dealt with the same type of situation and not been as bad as they are. 

So what happened?

There was a delayed penalty on Notre Dame the puck went through the crease a UNH player threw the puck back on net. The puck goes off the post then a UNH player puts the puck in the net. The ref blew the whistle saying Notre Dame touched the puck when the replay said otherwise.