SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

Minnesota's only real shot at moving UP in the PWR went up in smoke this weekend. They're 11-9-2 with 12 of those 14 games against PWR killers Wisconsin (2), Ohio State (4), Michigan State (2), and Penn State (4). Anything less than 12-0 is likely to send them spiraling down further than where they are now.

Their two remaining games at home against tWolverine gives them their best Pairwise opportunity to move up. Of course they have to WIN those games...:)

Their two remaining games at home against tWolverine gives them their best Pairwise opportunity to move up. Of course they have to WIN those games...:)

Here's my bold prediction: By the time Michigan's team bus leaves Mariucci Arena, every Gopher fan in the the building will know all the words to "Hail to the Victors" - because they will have heard it after about a dozen Wolverine weekend goals.

I'm still shocked this happened to that team. I like it but it's confusing at the same time.

As am I.  Happy of course, but still shocked. 

Kind of reminds me of Miami last year.  I just hope they don't go on a run in their conference tourney, as we all know the playoffs in college hockey is truly a "better that day"  than "better overall." 

What I'm hoping for is some early deflections Kyle Okposo style!  

Not sure what has brought a bigger smile to my face....that Packers choke job or the Gophers one.  :bigsmile:  :D  :D

• Upvote 1

There is some talk over on GPL that the 4th place team should be "relegated" and not participate in the following year's tournament. I'm guessing that that's just Gopher frustration talking but it would certainly make that 3rd place game more interesting, wouldn't it? With Minnesota as the "permanent host" of the NSCC though, it'll never happen. Or will it?

Secondly, would that permanent host school dare bring up the idea of instituting a "Gopher Rule" as a way of maximizing attendance/revenue? It's obviously already in effect on Fridays, so why not make it happen on Saturdays as well?

It can't happen. The whole tourney is a way to get a regular season scheduling arrangement complete. The gophers get a 2.5 to 1.5 scheduling arrangement with each school and all of the other schools get additional income that they wouldn't otherwise. The gophers NEED to be in the tournament or it fails. It's a non-starter that is fun to taunt gopher.fans with, but doesn't make a lick of sense.

As for the "Gopher rule", I personally don't care. It's not really going to change the attendance/revenue since it's a session ticker not a per game ticket. If you want this to be considered a legitimate tournament you can't impose it. Also, people talk how that's how it was in the final five, but it was only that way for firat round games. It wasn't that way for the championship. If you invoke it, i think that also causes the tourney to fail.

The current arrangement is the only realistic way to make it work with 5 schools. Beyond this, it's back to every school for themselves and that's not a good situation for anyone.

As am I.  Happy of course, but still shocked. 

Kind of reminds me of Miami last year.  I just hope they don't go on a run in their conference tourney, as we all know the playoffs in college hockey is truly a "better that day"  than "better overall." 

What I'm hoping for is some early deflections Kyle Okposo style!  

Not sure what has brought a bigger smile to my face....that Packers choke job or the Gophers one.  :bigsmile:  :D  :D

This is a tough one.  I gotta put the Packers choke job slightly ahead of the Gophers choke job; it would have been insufferable listening to the two-week long Aaron Rodgers Suck-Up show if they hadn't choked. :crazy:

Minnesota's only real shot at moving UP in the PWR went up in smoke this weekend. They're 11-9-2 with 12 of those 14 games against PWR killers Wisconsin (2), Ohio State (4), Michigan State (2), and Penn State (4). Anything less than 12-0 is likely to send them spiraling down further than where they are now.

A friend of mine pointed out that these results are compounded by the fact that so many of last years juniors in Dinkytown stuck around for this their senior year, which means that they are taking away valuable developmental minutes from next year's sophomore class.  Essentially the gophers will be coming in with two freshman classes next year.  Will Minnesota's top sophomores want to stick around for that?

Why a shoot-out for a non-conference game?

Funsies?

That is something that ends in Mites.

It's classified as an "exhibition" shoot-out. Makes no sense at all. So the casual Penn State fan feels like his team lost, despite the fact that they earned a tie after overcoming 3-0 and 4-1 deficits. What a joke.

It can't happen. The whole tourney is a way to get a regular season scheduling arrangement complete. The gophers get a 2.5 to 1.5 scheduling arrangement with each school and all of the other schools get additional income that they wouldn't otherwise. The gophers NEED to be in the tournament or it fails. It's a non-starter that is fun to taunt gopher.fans with, but doesn't make a lick of sense.

As for the "Gopher rule", I personally don't care. It's not really going to change the attendance/revenue since it's a session ticket not a per game ticket.

Attendance for the Friday session is recorded as 14,500 and Saturday's as 14,200 (seems high)...the evening games must have had a lot of people attending because the afternoon games looked to be a bit sparse. Minny not making the final really didnt cause much of a drop off from Friday to Saturday, although had they made the Final a few more Gofer fans may have showed.

Attendance for the Friday session is recorded as 14,500 and Saturday's as 14,200 (seems high)...the evening games must have had a lot of people attending because the afternoon games looked to be a bit sparse. Minny not making the final really didnt cause much of a drop off from Friday to Saturday, although had they made the Final a few more Gofer fans may have showed.

Agreed, but from a revenue standpoint it won't make much difference. They are session tickets, not game tickets. All mn and msu season ticket holders already had tix so those are already included. My guess is that the differeceived would be minimal at best.

The championship game was sparse, but to be honest, better than I expected. Funny story, we got to the arena at the beginning of the third period of the umd-mn game on saturday. We would have come earlier, but keeping 3 kids under the age of 6 controlled in that tight of a space for 6 hours wasn't gonna happen. When we got there a couple of 50+ year old gopher fans were in our seats. They just couldn't figure out why so many mankato fans were coming when "their game doesn't start for another hour" so we shouldnt be coming and kicking them out of our seats. They moved up a row and proceeded to get kicked out of their seats in about 10 real timw minutes. So what's the point of that anticdote? This tournament is going to continue in this direction because gopher fans are generally going to only go to their game and don't understand why everyone else doesn't do the same. The time of the game doesn't matter, only whether they are playing.

Funny story #2. There was one thing that everyone in the arena agreed. They showed a guy on the big screen wearing a UND jersey. It was probably the loudest crowd reaction I head all day on Saturday. I have no point to that other than I found it funny and thought you all would appreciate the "love for und".

Agreed, but from a revenue standpoint it won't make much difference. They are session tickets, not game tickets. All mn and msu season ticket holders already had tix so those are already included. My guess is that the differeceived would be minimal at best.

The championship game was sparse, but to be honest, better than I expected. Funny story, we got to the arena at the beginning of the third period of the umd-mn game on saturday. We would have come earlier, but keeping 3 kids under the age of 6 controlled in that tight of a space for 6 hours wasn't gonna happen. When we got there a couple of 50+ year old gopher fans were in our seats. They just couldn't figure out why so many mankato fans were coming when "their game doesn't start for another hour" so we shouldnt be coming and kicking them out of our seats. They moved up a row and proceeded to get kicked out of their seats in about 10 real timw minutes. So what's the point of that anticdote? This tournament is going to continue in this direction because gopher fans are generally going to only go to their game and don't understand why everyone else doesn't do the same. The time of the game doesn't matter, only whether they are playing.

Funny story #2. There was one thing that everyone in the arena agreed. They showed a guy on the big screen wearing a UND jersey. It was probably the loudest crowd reaction I head all day on Saturday. I have no point to that other than I found it funny and thought you all would appreciate the "love for und".

Re: story number 2. Everyone hates what they can't have. Hata's gonna hate!

They are down but not out with 14 conference games remaining...but they have definitely looked less than impressive lately. Their best bet to make the NCAAs at this point may be to win their conference tourney...not sure they can get an at-large bid playing other Little 6 teams as they are currently sitting at 20 in the Pairwise. Their biggest challenge will be figuring out how to turn this latest slide around. Bucky up next at the Kohl Center, stay tuned.

If only their were a team that is tradionally high in the PWR rankings that MN could have scheduled that would have given them a better shot to improve on their PWR.  Heck maybe their was even a team that wasn't to far away that actually wanted to schedule the Gophers!!  :)

If only their were a team that is tradionally high in the PWR rankings that MN could have scheduled that would have given them a better shot to improve on their PWR. Heck maybe their was even a team that wasn't to far away that actually wanted to schedule the Gophers!! :)

I can't think of one... at least not one that creates a healthy rival that wouldn't require a break to cool down.

Well, he didn't say they jeered. he said it was the loudest crowd reaction. Therefore, I'm SURE they were cheering and showing their support for our favorite team!

In my opinion, the atmosphere sucked on saturday. I think the main event was on friday night. The msu crowd was ready to pop on saturday, but there was very little chance for that to happen.

And yes, the crowd was either really getting behind Jon jutzi (yooo-tzi) or booing. Maybe it was just a coincidence. :)