SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

So last night at my game, I asked a teammate of mine who played his college hockey at Arizona about ASU going D-I. He claims that ASU is putting the heat on the Wildcats to make the jump too for many reasons, not the least of which it would have a close opponent. From what he says, unlike ASU, Arizona already has a college hockey-ready arena in the 6,400 seat Tucson Convention Center, a devoted fan base, a strong hockey tradition and level of success, and is the third most attended sport behind football and basketball (this part I can't verify).

Before anyone picks apart my post, these are simply statements made by a buddy who went to school there. I cannot verify the accuracy of his claims but if true, I wanted to get others' opinions and thoughts about the possibility of the University of Arizona making the jump to D-I as well and what that could mean for the NCHC.

They would obviously be a great package add.  As stated previously, If Arizona is not imminently ready by the time ASU is (if) added, then could Notre Dame issues be worked out?  

The follow-up questions that I guess I have are:

If so, then what would happen if Arizona becomes ready shortly thereafter?  Would we invite BGSU and continue building a stronger base around WMU and Miami and shut ourselves off to possible future expansion at 12 teams?

I do think Notre Dame would be a very good long-term addition to the league, as well.  There are multiple stories about how they would like to be aligned in a western footprint for hockey. I think their risk of flight would be very low as I don't think anyone can envision an ACC hockey league for the foreseeable future.  Also, the amount of exposure for the league would be very impressive if broadcast rights could be worked out as outlined by MACtion

I don't see how Notre dame's TV contract would conflict with nchc's current agreement with CBS. When the conference was formed cbs wouldn't allow any other national games. Fcs was considered national and they are now allowing games on fcs. Unless CBS has specifically said the nchc teams can't be aired by NBC?

• Upvote 1

This week’s brackets

East Regional (Providence):

15 Quinnipiac vs. 3 Boston University

10 Providence vs. 6 Bowling Green

Northeast Regional (Manchester):

13 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 4 Omaha

11 Harvard vs. 5 Minnesota-Duluth

Midwest Regional (South Bend):

16 Robert Morris vs. 1 Minnesota State

12 Boston College vs. 8 Miami

West Regional (Fargo):

14 Michigan vs. 2 North Dakota

9 Denver vs. 7 Michigan Tech

This week’s brackets

15 Quinnipiac vs. 3 Boston University

10 Providence vs. 6 Bowling Green

13 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 4 Omaha

11 Harvard vs. 5 Minnesota-Duluth

12 Boston College vs. 8 Miami

West Regional (Fargo):

14 Michigan vs. 2 North Dakota

9 Denver vs. 7 Michigan Tech

That was last weeks bracket....this weeks is even better. Stubhub prices will be insane!

That was last weeks bracket....this weeks is even better. Stubhub prices will be insane!

Ha....you're right, I scrolled down too far....much more intersting :)

This week’s brackets

13 Quinnipiac vs. 3 Boston University

10 Providence vs. 6 Michigan Tech

15 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 4 Omaha

11 Boston College vs. 5 Minnesota-Duluth

9 Denver vs. 8 Bowling Green

West Regional (Fargo):

14 Minnesota vs. 2 North Dakota

12 Michigan vs. 7 Miami

This week’s brackets

West Regional (Fargo):

12 Michigan vs. 7 Miami

Good god. That's frozen four worthy

West Regional (Fargo):
12 Michigan vs. 7 Miami

That has got to be too good to be true!?  I still maintain that Michigan will go to South Bend somehow, someway.  BG has good fans but they won't make or break that region's attendance like Michigan can.

I think North Dakota - Minnesota is highly likely but Bowling Green - Denver could just as well be the other West Region pairing.

West Regional (Fargo):

12 Michigan vs. 7 Miami

That has got to be too good to be true!? I still maintain that Michigan will go to South Bend somehow, someway. BG has good fans but they won't make or break that region's attendance like Michigan can.

I think North Dakota - Minnesota is highly likely but Bowling Green - Denver could just as well be the other West Region pairing.

He's never done the "bring the east to east or west to west" thing like he did today. He's about selling out arenas and boosting attendance. Makes no sense to boost attendance in Fargo by moving teams there. It's already gonna be a sellout.

The original brackets were fine. Just trying to get a rise out of UND and Minny fans, I think

He's never done the "bring the east to east or west to west" thing like he did today. He's about selling out arenas and boosting attendance. Makes no sense to boost attendance in Fargo by moving teams there. It's already gonna be a sellout.

The original brackets were fine. Just trying to get a rise out of UND and Minny fans, I think

All tickets that can be sold in Fargo are sold at this point, I was told.

Hopefully UND can keep playing well, and if MSUM falters a little we could take over the #1 seed. 

Playing RMU in the 1st round sounds way more appealing than playing the other tough teams that are currently 4 seeds.

Honestly, Moy's original bracket was good and had perfect bracket integrity:

14 Minnesota vs. 3 Boston University
11 Boston College vs. 6 Michigan Tech

13 Quinnipiac vs. 4 Omaha
12 Michigan vs. 5 Minnesota-Duluth

West Regional (Fargo):
15 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 2 North Dakota
10 Providence vs. 7 Miami

West regional is sold out regardless with UND there...so there's no reason to move another fanbase that travels well (UMN) into that regional as well.  Tickets would be impossible (or even more so).
East regional would still be good for attendance with BC/BU there.

Hopefully UND can keep playing well, and if MSUM falters a little we could take over the #1 seed.

Playing RMU in the 1st round sounds way more appealing than playing the other tough teams that are currently 4 seeds.

Honestly, Moy's original bracket was good and had perfect bracket integrity:

14 Minnesota vs. 3 Boston University

11 Boston College vs. 6 Michigan Tech

13 Quinnipiac vs. 4 Omaha

12 Michigan vs. 5 Minnesota-Duluth

West Regional (Fargo):

15 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 2 North Dakota

10 Providence vs. 7 Miami

West regional is sold out regardless with UND there...so there's no reason to move another fanbase that travels well (UMN) into that regional as well. Tickets would be impossible (or even more so).

East regional would still be good for attendance with BC/BU there.

Exactly. There was no reason to make moves, IMO.

This week’s brackets

West Regional (Fargo):

12 Michigan vs. 7 Miami

Wowzers

Moy has done this "move teams to Fargo for attendance" before and both times before he moved Michigan to play North Dakota. Three time so far North Dakota got tougher 4 seeds for being the 2nd overall seed.

Edit: He could have moved both Miami and Michigan in this weeks bracket to South Bend if attendance is such a big deal. 

This is why I advocate for doing #1 seeds hosting and straight pairwise with no swaps, even for inter conference match ups

Brackets would look like this:

Verizon Wireless Center (Mankato, MN)

1 Mankato

16 RMU

8 Bowling Green

9 Denver

Ralph Engelstad Arena (Grand Forks, ND)

2 UND

15 UMass-Lowell

7 Miami

10 Providence 

Agganis Arena (Boston, MA)

3 Boston University 

14 Minnesota

6 Michigan Tech

11 Boston College

Century Link Center (Omaha, NE)

4 UNO

13 Quinnipiac

5 UMD

12 Michigan

Did I mention fans would be at all of these games so there's no BS attendance boosting swaps?

Minny will end up in fargo if they make it. Sioux in very nice spot and can really push for that overall 1 seed. Mankato has tough games in fairbanks.

I think if UND ends up #2-#4 overall and UMN stays a 4 seed...I agree that they end up in Fargo.

If UND ends up #1 overall, then I don't think we see UMN first round, they'll get the AHA auto.

I could either see UMN missing the tourney entirely, or moving up enough to be a 3 seed.  All those teams on the bubble are so close together...

Moy has done this "move teams to Fargo for attendance" before and both times before he moved Michigan to play North Dakota. Three time so far North Dakota got tougher 4 seeds for being the 2nd overall seed.

Edit: He could have moved both Miami and Michigan in this weeks bracket to South Bend if attendance is such a big deal. 

I would bet Michigan ends up in South Bend to help with attendance. 

I have a feeling that he might not predict it correctly this year. He's done a few things that don't make the biggest sense, in names of attendance.

I agree. He's continually moved teams into Fargo for the sake of attendance when that regional will be sold out, no questions asked. I don't understand.