SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

I envision CBS and NBC to both be partners with the NCHC if Notre Dame joins. CBS splits conference rights in other sports like Conference USA and the Mountain West.

CBS Sports would remain prime tier 1 rights holder and retain control of Frozen Faceoff. They'd alternate picks with NBCSN, first 4 TV picks go to CBS, then NBC gets 4, etc until they both fill their allotment. CBS couldn't choose Irish home games, but CBS could also block others, etc.

All the members would enjoy increades exposure but the TV partners would have their favorites.

Everything else goes to regional networks like Root, MidCo, TWCSC, Fox North, Altitude, etc and many are promoted to FCS National Simulcast with NCHC.tv catching the balance.

Thats a similar process to how CBS splits the Mountain West with ESPN where CBS is considered prime and picks first and has MWC Championship but ESPN also swoops in and has right to Boise State games.

My guess something like that is being discussed with Notre Dame, NBC, CBS, and NCHC right now.

NBC in that scenario also retains a smaller package with HE and their Tourney. I think whomever wins the upcoming Big Ten TV negotiations will be required to broadcast a minimum number of BT Hockey on ESPN or FS1 depending on who wins or if it is split.

Miami and Western Michigan (and BG?) will be fully engaged with their ESPN studios and be able to simulcast every game on ESPN3 if the NCHC contract allows it. Otherwise, the same equipment but different graphics will be used to feed NCHC.tv with a feed also sent to a regional TV broadcast.

New ASU commit, Justin Emerson tweeted that Gage picked ASU over UMD and Boston College. They must've given him quite the recruiting visit...

http://www.houseofsparky.com/2015/2/9/8007651/asu-arizona-state-hockey-gage-mackie-sun-devils-nhl-draft

Looks like there was a little misunderstanding on that.

Justin Emerson @J15Emerson 12h12 hours ago

Clarification on this: Mackie visited BC and UMD but was never offered. Still chose ASU two years before he signs, but needs to be out there

Just to clarify, I'm pretty certain that this is your personal opinion and has nothing to do with actual fact. Boston College very much enjoys the regional benefits of being in close proximity to other Hockey East schools. They were adamantly opposed to Notre Dame and UConn joining Hockey East, so why would they decide to bolt it themselves for a conference where they would be flying a plane for EVERY SINGLE ROAD WEEKEND and kill a rivalry with BU in the process?

If I sent an e-mail to Dave Brandon last September saying that I was interested in the head football coaching position should Brady Hoke be fired at the end of the season, can I tell people that I was a serious candidate in quiet talks for the job?

I don't think he/she just made it up.  When I first heard of the NCHC, it had BC and Notre Dame in it, but not Western Michigan and SCSU.  It was called "National" because they wanted a true national footprint.  I agree that it didn't/doesn't make sense for BC, but then again, I think regional footprints like the old WCHA and CCHA make more sense than what we have now.

Just to clarify, I'm pretty certain that this is your personal opinion and has nothing to do with actual fact. Boston College very much enjoys the regional benefits of being in close proximity to other Hockey East schools. They were adamantly opposed to Notre Dame and UConn joining Hockey East, so why would they decide to bolt it themselves for a conference where they would be flying a plane for EVERY SINGLE ROAD WEEKEND and kill a rivalry with BU in the process?

If I sent an e-mail to Dave Brandon last September saying that I was interested in the head football coaching position should Brady Hoke be fired at the end of the season, can I tell people that I was a serious candidate in quiet talks for the job?

BC, BU, Notre Dame, and Miami were the EST zone teams that were originally approached by Denver and UND according to some blogs about the formation of the NCHC. Now your saying that was absolutely untrue? So no way was BC and BU approached according to your infinite wisdom? HE offered both Miami and ND in response. Miami flatly rejected it.

Notre Dame has strategic reasons why it wants a P5 team it its hockey conference. The fact that ND took so long to chose says that they were doing everything possible to get another P5 team in the NCHC to make it more acceptable, maybe even talking with its ACC pals Pitt and Syracuse about starting hockey. Keep in mind, Notre Dame joined the ACC and kept its own football deal with then NBC in this time frame. There was reports that the Big 12 offered something similar. Of all the ACC teams, the relationship with BC and Miami (Fla) are probably the most strained for Notre Dame. BC targets the same Catholic loyalties in the NE. With ASU possibly coming aboard, it changes the whole rationale for choosing HE. Live with it.

Looks like there was a little misunderstanding on that.

Justin Emerson @J15Emerson 12h12 hours ago

Clarification on this: Mackie visited BC and UMD but was never offered. Still chose ASU two years before he signs, but needs to be out there

Lol, that is more than a little misunderstanding. That makes all of the difference in the world.

The NCHC walked away from Notre Dame because of their TV deal and they wanted to dictate things.

Just like the ACC walked away from ND, even though ND demanded its own gold plated contract. ND got its own contract and the ACC was very happy. The Big 12 offered the same deal. But I guess the NCHC is too proud to accept ND on its own terms. Maybe you should be out in a real business world before you prognosticate a verdict.

I don't think he/she just made it up. When I first heard of the NCHC, it had BC and Notre Dame in it, but not Western Michigan and SCSU. It was called "National" because they wanted a true national footprint. I agree that it didn't/doesn't make sense for BC, but then again, I think regional footprints like the old WCHA and CCHA make more sense than what we have now.

Wanting a national footprint and being engaged in serious talks to make that happen are two different situations completely. Hockey East very much enjoys its "bus league" and is not eager to change that. A phone call may have been made to BU and BC, but I don't think the NCHC got into a real in-depth conversation with those schools about defecting.

• Upvote 1

Wanting a national footprint and being engaged in serious talks to make that happen are two different situations completely.  Hockey East very much enjoys it's "bus league" and is not eager to change that.  A phone call may have been made to BU and BC, but I don't think the NCHC got into a real in-depth conversation with those schools about defecting.

I would guess you are right - if there was a conversation between the NCHC and BC, it probably went like this: NCHC "Hey, BC, we are starting a new conference, would you like to join?" BC "Thanks for the call, no thanks."

BC, BU, Notre Dame, and Miami were the EST zone teams that were originally approached by Denver and UND according to some blogs about the formation of the NCHC. Now your saying that was absolutely untrue? So no way was BC and BU approached according to your infinite wisdom? HE offered both Miami and ND in response. Miami flatly rejected it.

Notre Dame has strategic reasons why it wants a P5 team it its hockey conference. The fact that ND took so long to chose says that they were doing everything possible to get another P5 team in the NCHC to make it more acceptable, maybe even talking with its ACC pals Pitt and Syracuse about starting hockey.  With ASU possibly coming aboard, it changes the whole rationale for choosing HE. Live with it.

- I do remember a rumor of the NCHC wanting BC and also Miami was contemplating joining Hockey East but decided they would be too isolated.  Miami did consider HE with ND though and I believe the travel concerns kept Miami away and also eventually led to NCHC adding Western Michigan to keep Miami from going HE.  Miami was likely told they would get Notre Dame as a NCHC travel partner and if not then WMU would be added.  WMU was eventually added.

- Notre Dame took their time because they were using both the NCHC and HE against each other in negotiations.  I don't think it had anything to do with all the P5 mumbo-jumbo you keep bringing up.  Notre Dame also doesn't give a hoot about Arizona State.

- Way too much effort and credit is given toward Arizona State.  They will struggle for years and then leave whatever conference they join before any real benefit is received to form the PAC conference. 

- Way too much effort and credit is given toward Arizona State.  They will struggle for years and then leave whatever conference they join before any real benefit is received to form the PAC conference. 

I agree with the first part a lot.  They aren't a slam dunk into any conference like people keep thinking.  Just being Arizona State isn't enough to get them a conference invite, they have a lot of things to work out first.  They are aware of it as are the conferences they are talking to (the NCHC being one of them).

Not sure I agree on how much they'll struggle but I don't know anything about their coach.

The PAC conference, if it ever happens, is probably at least a decade out.  Any conference that takes them has to assume they will be part of the fold for a decent amount of time.

The NCHC walked away from Notre Dame because of their TV deal and they wanted to dictate things.

Just like the ACC walked away from ND, even though ND demanded its own gold plated contract. ND got its own contract and the ACC was very happy. The Big 12 offered the same deal. But I guess the NCHC is too proud to accept ND on its own terms. Maybe you should be out in a real business world before you prognosticate a verdict.

Notre Dame has strategic reasons why it wants a P5 team it its hockey conference. The fact that ND took so long to chose says that they were doing everything possible to get another P5 team in the NCHC to make it more acceptable, maybe even talking with its ACC pals Pitt and Syracuse about starting hockey. Keep in mind, Notre Dame joined the ACC and kept its own football deal with then NBC in this time frame. There was reports that the Big 12 offered something similar. Of all the ACC teams, the relationship with BC and Miami (Fla) are probably the most strained for Notre Dame. BC targets the same Catholic loyalties in the NE. With ASU possibly coming aboard, it changes the whole rationale for choosing HE. Live with it.

Your smug comments sometimes detract from your never-ending conference affiliation conspiracy theories.

• Upvote 1

Your smug comments sometimes detract from your never-end conference affiliation conspiracy theories.   

Agree, does he post on anything else?  I guess the theory is that if you throw enough things at the wall, something will eventually stick, and then I guess we would get the "I told you so" refrain.

• Upvote 1

Agree, does he post on anything else?  I guess the theory is that if you throw enough things at the wall, something will eventually stick, and then I guess we would get the "I told you so" refrain.

YOU'RE right. He has no clue what he's talking about. My comments about the NCHC and ND were spot on because they came from someone that had direct knowledge of the situation.

Oh yee of little faith. Next summer will be the announcement. You can apologize then.

Now you can go back and sing Mafiaman's choir.

You might want to put down the hooka pip and check yourself into the clinic. UND isn't going FBS football. I would bet money on that one. Just for the record, MafiaMan is an awesome guy.

You might want to put down the hooka pip and check yourself into the clinic. UND isn't going FBS football. I would bet money on that one. Just for the record, MafiaMan is an awesome guy.

Your writings have always taken UNDs official line. Why can't you accept that they only tell you what they want to hear, not the full truth? A White House Press Conference isn't about truth, but about spin. ADs and coaches do the exact same thing.

If what I write so bothers you, dont read it. But instead you throw personal insults at me.

I don't have any problems with you or Mafia Man, but you both can't seem to think outside the lines. I happen to like that kind of speculation, but some hate it.