SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

Who cares move on, I want what's best for college hockey. I think those two in nchc would better it. Simple as that. Probably won't happen but I would like it

I certainly don't want to be in a situation where there are special rules for Notre Dame, like the old Minnesota rule, or other concessions to support their huge ego.

• Upvote 2

If I knew we wouldn't have to put up with Jeff Jackson or Notre Dame's constant whining and self-righteousness about everything, I'd be all for them coming to the NCHC.

ASU could really end up just about anywhere.  It makes sense for them to be in the NCHC when looking at a map, but going to AZ would be like a shorter version of going to Alaska.  It's still a plane ride for every visiting team in the NCAA, so which conference wants their members to pony up for that is the answer.  Does the brand name recognition of ASU add enough to offset those costs?  Maybe, but I'm not so sure.

Yes, and if things work out the way they want, they will leave at some point anyway.

I certainly don't want to be in a situation where there are special rules for Notre Dame, like the old Minnesota rule, or other concessions to support their huge ego.

tumblr_n3n5p6ePBB1rsxqqio1_500.gif

Hear!  Hear!

The griping about scheduling...travel...the personal TV contract...that's all going to change with a move to the NCHC and trips to Omaha, Denver, Colorado Springs, St Cloud, Duluth, and Grand Forks?  Cue the 7:00 pm semi-final tournament game-times for the Fighting Irish, too, you know, in the interest of "fan support." 

Who cares move on, I want what's best for college hockey. I think those two in nchc would better it. Simple as that. Probably won't happen but I would like it

And if it wasn't for the sun, Arizona State would be viewed like a trip to Anchorage was in the old WCHA...

And if it wasn't for the sun, Arizona State would be viewed like a trip to Anchorage was in the old WCHA...

Much cheaper and easier to get to Tempe az.not even close. If it wasn't for ice there wouldn't be ice hockey. Million more things to do in phx and may be easiest road trip of them all. Wrong

tumblr_n3n5p6ePBB1rsxqqio1_500.gif

Hear!  Hear!

The griping about scheduling...travel...the personal TV contract...that's all going to change with a move to the NCHC and trips to Omaha, Denver, Colorado Springs, St Cloud, Duluth, and Grand Forks?  Cue the 7:00 pm semi-final tournament game-times for the Fighting Irish, too, you know, in the interest of "fan support."

That's what I worry about, that they will bend over backwards on the scheduling. "We have a big football game that night, can we push the 2nd game of the series to Sunday?"

I think it was Mafia Man who recently said, "Notre Dame does what's best for Notre Dame." -I couldn't agree more.

Some might argue that UND as well as every other school does the same but in this case, I don't believe ND would have the same long-term vested interest in the success and future of the conference that UND or any of the other charter members do.

• Upvote 1

I think it was Mafia Man who recently said, "Notre Dame does what's best for Notre Dame." -I couldn't agree more.

Some might argue that UND as well as every other school does the same but in this case, I don't believe ND would have the same long-term vested interest in the success and future of the conference that UND or any of the other charter members do.

I would reject them outright and tell them to sack up enjoy Hockey East. 

It's obviously pretty easy to tell Notre Dame to suck off, given their rejection of the NCHC when the conference was formed.  Our conference is enjoying a lot of success.  Notre Dame is struggling.  Plenty of opportunity for schadenfreude.

But under the right circumstances I don't think it would be a terrible thing.  We have to remember, for all the hockey success our conference has had this season, it may not always be the case, and the NCHC members are all pretty small schools in the grand scheme of Div I sports.

I would only want Notre Dame if they would come in with a 10th team, preferably ASU.  Those are two, big name brand programs, and say what you want, they'd help our conference.  People, like coaches, associated with a school come and go, but the program itself remains. 

I'd also want to know about the tv package.  Ideally we'd like a better national package than the one we have, but one that still lets us get the games on one of the fox sports channels nationally if not picked up by NBC Sports or CBS Sports.

Read it Friday...........I hope he's wrong on the lure of the warm, dry winters. 

I'm sure it could be a selling point for some, but those that want to be on the fast track to the NHL might not care about nice weather for a year or two.  Besides, it might be a little harder to turn the pages when you have that kind of weather to distract you.  Better keep an eye on a big time program like ASU playing loose with NCAA regulations. You also have to ask if games will have the kind of atmosphere they do here when there is so much more to do for the students there.  Hockey is the thing that makes winters more bearable here, and it shows by attendance.   After all, Grand Forks is Hockey City USA for a reason. 

That's really the only selling point.  That, and maybe being able to join a program at their entry into D1.

This is not a hockey town, that's for sure.  Anyone coming from Canada or the Midwest or New England will miss the hockey culture/outdoor ice/etc...I certainly know that I do.

I can definitely see ASU becoming decent in D1 within 5 years or so...but I just don't see them becoming a power.

It's obviously pretty easy to tell Notre Dame to suck off, given their rejection of the NCHC when the conference was formed.  Our conference is enjoying a lot of success.  Notre Dame is struggling.  Plenty of opportunity for schadenfreude.

But under the right circumstances I don't think it would be a terrible thing.  We have to remember, for all the hockey success our conference has had this season, it may not always be the case, and the NCHC members are all pretty small schools in the grand scheme of Div I sports.

The NCHC actually said no to Notre Dame after the Irish came in with too many demands, including their current TV deal. 

• Upvote 1

So far Arizona State top recruits are the starting goalie for Des Moines Ryland Pashovitz, the #29 ranked goalie in North America in this years draft from Cushing Academy Joey Daccord, and a smaller forward from Wisconsin that doing pretty good in the BCHL Brett Gruber.

Oh, so now that Notre Dame thinks that Hockey East isn't so pretty anymore, they want to see if the ugly duckling NCHC would take them back?

No thanks.

If Notre Dame wants to join the NCHC, Miami and WMU will provide them unprecedented support.  They will also be good for media for the league regardless of if you like them or not.  This league's entire purpose is to provide as much exposure and opportunity as possible and under the right circumstances (CBS, ND, and NBC come to an agreement), the NCHC brass will be happy to take them.  CBS has already relaxed their position on exclusivity when they allowed games nationally on Fox College Sports.  Keeping our current TV deal with CBS, growing Fox College Sports and Regional Coverage and then adding a modified deal with NBCSN would keep this conference under constant spotlight.  The Notre Dame / HE deal provides like 12 ND home games and 4 HE games not involving ND.  I think a modified NBCSN / Notre Dame / NCHC deal may be similar to our current CBS deal where CBS has a majority of games involving NoDak, and ND would bring in 12 or so NBCSN games for the NCHC where a majority of them would involve the Irish but would also help everybody.

Tier 1 rights:

(prime rights holder) CBS Sports Network 14 games and Frozen Four

NBC Sports Network 12 games

Tier 2:

Fox College Sports simulcasts 20+ regional games from MidCo, Fox Sports North, TWCSC, etc...

Tier 3:

Regional Networks and NCHC.tv

If the other rights holders agreed, Miami and WMU could also simulcast on ESPN3

No other conference would compete with that.

Now the part UND fans won't like, USCHO forum poster rumors point to the Big Ten talking to Arizona State and ASU might join the Big Ten in some sort of short-term TV network agreement or ASU joins WCHA until they create the PAC conference.  Therefore Notre Dame joining the NCHC has Bowling Green also joining as #10 in that possible scenario.  It would be great for a tight eastern wing of the NCHC and lots of media exposure for everybody in the Great Lakes region.

If Notre Dame wants to join the NCHC, Miami and WMU will provide them unprecedented support.  They will also be good for media for the league regardless of if you like them or not.  This league's entire purpose is to provide as much exposure and opportunity as possible and under the right circumstances (CBS, ND, and NBC come to an agreement), the NCHC brass will be happy to take them.  CBS has already relaxed their position on exclusivity when they allowed games nationally on Fox College Sports.  Keeping our current TV deal with CBS, growing Fox College Sports and Regional Coverage and then adding a modified deal with NBCSN would keep this conference under constant spotlight.  The Notre Dame / HE deal provides like 12 ND home games and 4 HE games not involving ND.  I think a modified NBCSN / Notre Dame / NCHC deal may be similar to our current CBS deal where CBS has a majority of games involving NoDak, and ND would bring in 12 or so NBCSN games for the NCHC where a majority of them would involve the Irish but would also help everybody.

Tier 1 rights:

Tier 2:

Fox College Sports simulcasts 20+ regional games from MidCo, Fox Sports North, TWCSC, etc...

Tier 3:

Now the part UND fans won't like, USCHO forum poster rumors point to the Big Ten talking to Arizona State and ASU might join the Big Ten in some sort of short-term TV network agreement or ASU joins WCHA until they create the PAC conference.  Therefore Notre Dame joining the NCHC has Bowling Green also joining as #10 in that possible scenario.  It would be great for a tight eastern wing of the NCHC and lots of media exposure for everybody in the Great Lakes region.

Personally I would be fine with both ND and BGSU or ASU.  I may be in the minority for Sioux fans, but I would like to see College Hockey continue to expand and one way of doing that is to get the "big" schools involved.  Although BGSU isn't a big school, they are a true DI school and will be nice for Miami if they are in the conference.  Both ND and ASU bring name recognition which helps, regardless of the hockey tradition or lack thereof.  I would love to beat ND on NBCSports year in and year out...

Tier 1 rights:

Tier 2:

Tier 3:

The rumor is because they are playing at least two B1G schools next year and that is all we know so far from their schedule next season.

Bowling Green fans seem very adamant that the only way Bowling Green got to the NCHC is if hell freezes over.  

Meh.  With global warming UND will soon have the best of both worlds. 

Be patient.   With global warming, UND will soon have the best of both worlds. 

Didn't you get the memo? Global warming didn't catch on so it has been re-branded to "Climate Change."  ;)